Wednesday, October 11, 2006

BRAZILIAN COFFEE COOKIES

In August, I was asked to bake a few goodies for my boyfriend's birthday that was going to be celebrated at work. I had to think for long before I could find which kind of cookie I would make - we all know how "snotty" some people can be when it comes to food... Finally, I discovered this "Brazilian Coffee Cookies" recipe on www.cdkitchen.com (that I adapted slightly) and I immediatly felt relieved as I knew that they'd be well-appreciated since all the people who work there love to drink a cup of coffee during their break!

My choice must have been good, because they all disappearted quite fastly! And having tasted one or two at home (I don't want to "poison" others, so I always test what I make and give my approval before it is handled away!), I can tell you that they were absolutely awesome...

Those "Brazilian Coffee Cookies" are truely delicious. They are crunchy, but not hard and melt away marvelously in the mouth, their coffee flavor is perfectly well-balanced and not overpowering, yet very present. They also look particularly nice and would grace your afternoon tea table beautifully!


All in all, those cookies were really satisfying and so easy to make that I have once more succumbed to the temptation of baking another delightful batch that perfumed the whole apartment with the aroma of freshly brewed coffee...

~ Brazilian Coffee Cookies ~
Recipe by www.cdkitchen.com and slightly adapted by Rosa @ Rosa's Yummy Yums


Makes about 4 dozen.


Ingredients:
1/3 Cup (84g) Unsalted butter
1/2 Cup Packed brown sugar
1/2 Cup Castor sugar
1 Egg (~50g)
1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla extract
1 Tbs Milk
1 Tsp Water, hot
2 Cups Plain white flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Baking soda
1/4 Tsp Baking powder
2 Tbs Instant coffee powder

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
2. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
3. In a small recipient, dissolve the coffee powder in 1 teaspoon hot water.
4. In a bowl, mix together the sieved flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
5. In another bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar (until light and fluffy), then add the vanilla extract, the egg and the milk. Beat until well combined.
6. Add the dissolved coffee and then the flour mixture to the sugar mixture.
7. Mix thoroughly.

8. Shape dough in 2.5 cm (1 inch) balls.
9. Place balls 5 cm (2 inches) apart on prepared baking tray.
10. Flatten to 0.6-0.8 cm (0.2-0.3 inches) with fork or glass dipped in sugar.
11. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
12. Cool on a wire rack.

Remarks:
You can also use light brown sugar.
If the dough is too soft to shape, chill it for about 30-40 minutes.


Serving suggestions:
Those cookies are delicious when enjoyed with a good cup of coffee, a hot chocolate, milk coffee (Café Au Lait) or a glass of chilled milk.

(Brazilian Coffee House -Pic by Fransisco Silva www.trekearth.com)

16 comments:

  1. hi i stumbled upon your blog. lovely food pics u have here :) im a foodie myself too and its great to know likeminded ppl. take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. superbes dis donc
    la farine arrow root tu as trouvé ??
    bises

    ReplyDelete
  3. J'en prendrais bien un avec mon café, justement! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I have had some cappaccino cookies too! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. EVAN: Thanks for the kind comment and for visiting my blog! I'm happy that you enjoyed what you found here... Your blog also looks great and very interesting, therefore I added it to my list og blogs that I appreciate!

    BRIGITTE: Merci beaucoup pour ton commentaire, Brigitte!
    Bisous,

    Rosa

    ELVIRA: Et bien mes cookies t'ont attendue, mais comme tu tardais à venir, ils se sont volatilisés les uns après les autres, he, he ;-)!!!...

    FOODIE'S HOPE: Thanks! Yes, baked items containing coffee are delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! The cookies sound delicious, but our Mom wants to know what "castor" sugar is.

    ~J&B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice cookies. I love coffee.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super Cookies ! Très appétissant !
    Merci pour ton mot sur mon blog :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. JAKE THE BATHSHEBA: Thanks for the kind comment and for the visit!
    Castor sugar is in fact granulated white sugar...
    Have fun making those cookies and please do tell me what you thought of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. strange about taking food in to work here huh? back home people appreciate that you bring in something. it's too bad, as i live on my own and like to cook i always have way more than i can handle. but when i take it in to work here people look at me funny or you get the classic 'oh, i'm on a diet' response. arg!!! ;-p ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CAMMU: Thanks for your visit and kind comment!

    BÉRÉ: Merci pour ta visite et ton commentaire! Oui, ces cookies sont délicieux.....

    RAI: Yes, people are sometimes strange! And this diet thing is getting a little tiring ;-(! They don't know what they are missing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi there whats Tbs and Tsp stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  13. ANONYMOUS: Hi! Thanks for passing by! Tbs = tablespoon(s) and Tsp = teaspoon(s)... I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I was searching for a good coffee cookie recipe & found yr blog. Am trying this recipe of yrs this weekend.....luv yr blog!♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am really excited to try this delicious looking recipe! I have to do bake something for a school activity, I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I do!!


    -Kaylin

    ReplyDelete
  16. KAYLIN: Thanks you for passing by and for the kind comment! I hope that everyone at your school enjoyed those cookies... Glad to hear you do! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete