Monday, September 8, 2008

"THE OMNIVORE'S HUNDRED" MEME

All around the food blogosphere, many people have already blogged about this meme. It is a very subjective, eclectic and non-exhaustive list of foods as well as drinks that any good omnivore is supposed to have tasted at least once in his/her life. The creator of this meme is none other than Andrew at "Very Good Taste" in the UK...

I haven't eaten and drunk many things on that list, so I guess that I'll have to expand my culinary knowledge a little more in the near future!

Here what you have to do:
1. Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2. Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3. Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4. Optional extra - Post a comment at "Very Good Taste" (UK) linking to your results.

~ Burrata Cheese ~
The Omnivore's Hundred:
1. Venison (I love that!)
2. Nettle Tea (I've also eaten Nettle Soup)
3. Huevos Rancheros (I'm addicted to homemade Tex-Mex food!)
4. Steak Tartare (see my recipe)
5. Crocodile (I'd love to taste that meat...)
6. Black Pudding/Blutwurst/Boudin (Yummy! See me recipe.)
7. Cheese Fondue (see my recipe)
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba Ghanoush (see my recipe)
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J Sandwich (I don't like to eat my Peanut Butter with jam, only with honey or chocolate spread!)
14. Aloo Gobi
15. Hot Dog, from a street cart (Better at home, though./See my recipe.)
16. Epoisses Cheese
17. Black Truffle (Only in Brie de Meaux cheese.)
18. Fruit Wine, made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed Pork Buns (Both homemade and at the restaurant.)
20. Pistachio Ice Cream
21. Heirloom Tomatoes
22. Fresh Wild Berries (blackberries, blueberries, etc...)
23. Foie Gras
24. Rice And Beans
25. Brawn or Head Cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet Pepper (I love chilli peppers, but those are difficult to find here. I'm still looking for them.)
27. Dulce De Leche (Homemade only.)
28. Oysters (I don't fancy eating a living animal!!!)
29. Baklava (I adore that speciality!)
30. Bagna Cauda

31. Wasabi Peas
32. Clam Chowder, in a sourdough bowl (I'd love to!)
33. Salted Lassi (Only sweet Lassi.)
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root Beer Float
36. Cognac with a Fat Cigar (I don't smoke)
37. Clotted Cream Tea (in England and at home, with homemade Clotted Cream)
38. Vodka Jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried Goat (only Goat's Soup in Greece)
42. Whole Insects (I could never eat that!!!! Eeeek!!!)
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s Milk
45. Malt Whisky, from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (I don't have that money to spend on alcohol as I only use Whisky for cooking!).
46. Fugu
47. Chicken Tikka Masala
48. Ee
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea Urchin
51. Prickly Pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (Such a long time ago when I was still at primary school. I don't go to McDonald's anymore...)
56. Spaetzle/Spätzli (I make that all the time. See recipe.)
57. Dirty Gin Martini
58. Beer Above 8% ABV
59. Poutine

60. Carob Chips
61. S'mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst (Homemade.)
65. Durian (I loved it, but the fresh fruit costs a lot of money)
66. Frogs’ Legs (Once at a Chinese restaurant in France and never again. It was too bland and I find it too cruel.)
67. Beignets, Churros, Elephant Ears or Funnel Cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried Plantain Bananas (Delicious!)
70. Chitterlings or Andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and Blini (I love Blinis, but I can't care less for fish eggs, no matter how much they cost!)
73. Louche Absinthe (Only in chocolate..)
74. Gejetost or Brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu (I love that!)
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail (Eeeeek!!!)
79. Lapsang Souchong (Delicious, especially when cooking!)
80. Bellini
81. Tom Yum (Homemade. Extremely scrumptious!)
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting Menu, at a three-Michelin-star restaurant (Not unless I win the lottery, LOL!)
85. Kobe Beef (I'd love to!)
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo Chocolate
91. Spam (Scrumptiously dirty!)
92. Soft Shell Crab
93. Rose Harissa (Normal Harrisa only.)
94. Catfish
95. Mole Poblano (Not yet. I still have to get hold of those special chillies in order to make that yummy sauce...)
96. Bagel and Lox (Yummyliscious when homemade!!! See recipe.)
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee
100. Snake

My personal food list that everyone should try:
1. Burrata Cheese
2. Schabziger
3. Bulgogi
4. Steak & Kidney Pie
5. Good Fish & Chips
6. Yorkshire Puddings
7. Any Bars (Brownies, Blondies, Millionnaire's Shortbread, etc...)
8. Salée A La Crème (see recipe)
9. Homemade Burritos (see recipe)
10. Homemade Thai Curry Paste (see recipe)
11. Ostrich Meat
12. Brazilian Moqueca (see recipe)

31 comments:

  1. I have just found my new favorite blog. This is a great site and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tu es vraiment une infatigable gourmande, curieuse de tout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uauuu, la burrata...maintenant je dois trouver la traduction..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RED EYES ON FIRE: Thanks ever so much! Your kind comments makes me very happy :-D!

    GRACIANNE: Oui, je suis une gourmande qui est très curieuse ;-P!

    LORY: La Burrata peut s'acheter à MANOR...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Je vote "Cuisses de grenouilles" ! Et tu n'as vraiment jamais retenté l'expérience ? Et très jolie photo qui me donnerait presque faim !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosa, you amase me, you have made your own curry paste! I'd bet that no store-bought can compare with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could I create such a list and keep it at or under 100? Nope. I love food... all food.

    Except pork and bananas. They are the devil.

    As always, I love your blog.

    Blessings to you!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosa, I love your blog! I have the Omni 100 meme on mine as well, and I fully agree that Burrata should be included.

    I also just checked out your recipe for Burritos and they look YUUUMMMYY!!! I'm doing a bunch of Mexican posts this week and I wish that I had seen your guacamole recipe before I made the fiesta.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homemade Thai curry paste! Now that's something I'd like to try!

    Also, you should definitely taste s'mores. I introduced my partner to them for the first time this summer in the US and they were a big hit! (I guess it's hard to find graham crackers elsewhere though...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Rosa,
    I think I have a lot of trying to do, since I never taste half of the thing your talked about in your 12 personnal food list.
    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea,
    I must do this asap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait, for the Mole Poblano, what do you mean by "those special chilies"? Becuase if you will send me (random blog stranger) your address and can wait until January when I get back from my Christmas break in Texas I can bring any basic chilie (which has a slightly different definition in Texas as half of a produce aisle in any grocery store in south Texas is devoted to chilies)and they only weigh a few grams. I just want the perfected mole sauce recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see you have a picture of that yummy burrata cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  14. tres interessant tout cela, plein de choses que je ne connaissais même pas alors je suis tres intéressée et cela me donne envie d'essayer plein de choses
    merci a toi encore une fois

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh i loooooooooooooooove burrata! prrrrrrrr :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. je n'ai pas tout testé ( même avant d'être végé.)..mais retrouver l'époisse dans une liste anglophone
    m'émeut presque !
    tiens , je ne te l'ai jamais dit, mais j'aime bien la musique de ton blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. BIGE: Non, je n'ai pas remangé de cuisses de grenouilles, car je ne trouve pas ça trop éthique ;-P...

    GATTINA: Right, it can't compare with homemade Curry Paste!

    RAZORFAMILYFARMS: I also love all foods, as long as nature and the animals I eat are treated with respect and dignity!

    TINA: Thanks for your kind comments! Yes, Burrata should not be left out of that list!

    HOPIE: Yes, it's terribly good! I know what S'mores are, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to taste that speciality... I make my own Graham Crackers so that should not be a problem!

    AWOZ: Me too! good experiencing then!

    ELRA: Yes! I'm looking forwards to reading yours...

    SABAYON: In order to make "Mole Poblano" one needs mulato, pasilla and ancho (dried and smoked) chillies which are hard to find here... Thanks for proposing! That would be so great and ever so kind of you!!! Of course, I would sens you the real "Mole" recipe in exchange (plus a little something more)! By the way, where in Vaud do you live?

    GLAMAH16: Yes ;-P!!!!!!!

    SAB: De rien et bonnes découvertes futures!

    CUCINA TESTA ROSSA: That's so yummy ;-P!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rosa, one of my readers mentioned that kaolin is a common ingredient in antacid medication so you've probably had it too :) I'm intrigued by some of the items on your list and thank you in advance for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've had crocodile, not that great. Similar to chicken, just a little wild!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your list and can't agree more about caviar. I don't get it either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. boooou !!!! il me reste beaucoup de produits à découvrir

    ReplyDelete
  22. La burrata est superbement inconnue ici...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pour moi, ce sera lobster thermidor !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, since I have seen all of those chilies (and I am hardly a big chilie person) they shouldn't be hard to get, and I love mole and would be happy to spread the experience.
    I live in Prangins, a small village very close to Nyon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great list and I love the extra ones!

    ReplyDelete
  26. La burrata me rappelle une pure gourmandise dégoulinante de petit lait accompagnée d'une focaccia délicieuse cet été à Turin... Tu es une vraie gourmande!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Je peux en dire autant, j'ai l'impression de connaître peu de chose !

    ReplyDelete
  28. You know - I saw this...I may have to join in. I love burrata!

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow. That is quite some list! I hadn't heard of some of that stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. DEE: Thanks for the info... I hope you'll like my recipes!

    ROSE & AMP: That would be tasty! I love chicken!

    RASA MALAYSIA: Thanks! Yes, it's one of those things I don't really understand...

    MOUNET: ;-P!!!

    MAMINA: Oui, mais ça arrive dans nos contrées! On peut en acheter en Suisse...

    HELENE: J'aimerais bien y goûter!

    SABAYON: Wow, that's great news! I'd love to have a bunch of those ;-P! Thanks!!! You live very close to Geneva...

    BREADCHICK: Thanks!

    MENUS PROPOS: Mmmhhh, avec de la Focaccia, ça doit être une vraie tuerie!!! Oui, je SUIS une gourmande ;-P!

    LA CUISINE DES 3 SOEURS: Ca viendra ;-P!

    DARIUS WILLIAMS: It's such a great cheese!

    ROSA: Yes! You still have many things to test, food-wise ;-P...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Devines ce que je viens d'acheter....
    et oui, la burrata!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete