Friday, December 3, 2010

ASSAMESE SOUR FISH CURRY - CURRY AIGRE DE POISSON

Sour Fish Curry Picnik collage 2 bis
A few months ago fellow foodblogger and expat (Hong Kong & London) Janet Ching from "Gourmet Traveller 88" who lives in Basel (Switzerland) kindly proposed to send me a complimentary copy of her self-produced book as an appreciation of my supporting her blog all along. It was with much excitement that I accepted her kind proposition...

A few days later the book arrived and I had a lot of pleasure going through it's pages. This little 32 pages cookbook is enjoyable and is full of delicious recipes that can be found on her blog. The vast majority of the courses presented are Asian-oriented (Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Korean and Vietnamese) and a minority of them are Western-oriented (Switzerland, Holland, Italian and French).

Picking out a main course that would be featured in an article was not an easy task as I fancied many of them. Thanksfully, as I am passionate about Asian cuisine, as I drool any time the word "curry" is pronounced and as I believe in seasonal cooking my choice was made a lot easier. Since a few dishes required summer veggies I opted for a recipe that would enable me to buy local produces and respect the environment. It is for that reason that I decided upon preparing "Assamese Sour Fish Curry". Not only did the picture of that dish attract me, but I also liked the idea of eating a spicy meal that would not be too heavy nor too fat and which would bring a little heat as well as comfort - much needed with this polar weather (snow and minus temperatures) we are having here at the moment.

"Assamese Sour Fish Curry" or "Masoor Tenga" hails from Assam in northeastern India where it is a very popular speciality (a note to the purists - of course this version is a little Westernized and different from the original LOL). This light curry is really easy to prepare, can be put together in no time at all and it tastes lipsmackingly good. It is quite peppery and hot, exhaliratingly spicy, delightfully sour and has a certain freshness thanks to the addition of lime juice. Perfectly balanced and flavored!

Sour Fish Curry 3 bis
~ Assamese Sour Fish Curry ~
Recipe adapted from " Discovering New Tastes And Rediscovering Long Lost Tastes" by Janet Ching.

Ingredients:

1 Tbs Coriander seeds

2 Tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 Tsp Ground tumeric
1 Tsp Black peppercorns
2cm Piece fresh ginger (10g), grated or chopped coarsely
2 Cloves garlic, grated or chopped coarsely
Sunflower oil
400g White firm fish (e.g. monk fish fillets or blue-eye cutlets), cubed
2 Medium brown onions, sliced thinly (hald moon)
1 1/2 Tsp Black mustard seeds
4 Dried or fresh curry leaves
1 Tsp Samabal oelek
1 Tsp Sweet chili sauce
180ml Water
1 Tsp Organic chicken stock powder
The juice of 2 limes
1 Tbs Fish sauce (or to taste - I added 5 Tbs)

Sour Fish Curry Picnik collage 4 bis
Method:
1. Using a small pan, dry fry the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and tumeric until fragrant, be careful not to burn them.
2. Form a paste by crushing the peppercorns, ginger and garlic with pestle and mortar.
3. Heat some oil in a large frying pan, pan-fry the fish fillet until cooked and lightly brown. Remove the fish from the pan and keep the oil.
4. Add a little more oil, stir fry the onions, mustard seeds and curry leaves until the onion becomes lightly brown and translucid.
5. Add the fried spices, keep stirring until fragrant.

6. Then, add the wet paste, the sambal oelek and the chili sauce. Stir.
7. Dissolve the chicken stock powder in the water and add into the pan, then add in the lime juice and fish sauce.
8. Bring the mixture to boil and then add the fish back into the pan. Simmer for about 5 mins or until the fish is cooked.

9. Serve.

Remarks:
The original recipe didn't contain sambal oelek or sweet chili sauce. Instead you can add 1 red chili that has been seeded, chopped and crushed to a paste in the mortar and pestle
.

Serving suggest
ions:
Serve with basmati rice or jasmine rice.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sour Fish Curry Picnik collage 3 bis
~ Curry Aigre De Poisson ~
Recette adaptée de " Discovering New Tastes And Rediscovering Long Lost Tastes" par Janet Ching.

Ingrédients:

1 CS de Graines de coriandre

2 CC de Graines de cumin

1/2 de CC de Curcuma en poudre

1 de CC de Graines de poivre noir
Un morceau de 2cm de Gingembre frais (10g), pelé et haché grossièrement
2 Gousses d'ail, hachées grossièrement
Huile de tournesol
400g de Poisson blanc à chair ferme (merlu ou beaudroie), coupé en gros cubes
2 Onions moyens, coupés fin
ement en demi-lune
1 1/2 de CC de Graines de moutarde noires
4 Feuilles de curry fraîches ou sèches
1 de CC de Samabal oelek
1 de CC de Sweet chili sauce
180ml d'Eau
1 de CC de Bouillon de poule bio en poudre
Le jus de 2 limes
1 CS de Sauce de poisson (ou selon goût- j'ai ajouté 5 CS)

Sour Fish Curry Picnik collage 1 bis
Méthode:
1. Dans une petite poêle, griller à feu doux les graines de coriandre, de cumin et le curcuma afin que les arômes se développent. Faire attention à ne pas les brûler.
2. Dans un mortier, réduire le poivre, le gingembre et l'ail en une pâte homogène.
3. Chauffer une grande poêle et ajouter un peu d'huile, puis faire griller les cubes de poisson jusqu'à ce qu'ils soient dorés de chaque côté. Retirer le poisson du feu et le transférer dans une assiette. Mettre de côté.
4. Ajouter un peu d'huile dans la poêle et faire revenir les oignons, les graines de moutarde et les feuilles de curry, jusqu'à ce que l'oignon soit translucide et légèrement doré.
5. Ajouter les épices grillées et bien mélanger jusqu'à ce qu'un parfum s'en dégage.

6. Ajouter la pâte (ail, gingembre et poivre), le sambal oelek et la sweet chili sauce. Mélanger.
7. Dissoudre le bouillon dans l'eau et l'ajouter à la poêle, puis faire de même avec le jus de lime et la sauce de poisson.
8. Porter à ébullition et ajouter le poisson, puis laisser mijoter pendant 5 minutes ou jusqu'à ce que le poisson soit cuit.

9. Servir.

Remarques:
La recette originale ne contient pas de sambal oelek ou de sweet chili sauce. Vous pouvez les remplacer pas un piment rouge qui a été au préalable nettoyé, haché et réduit en une pâte dans le mortier.

Idées de présentation:
Servir avec du riz thaï ou du riz basmati rice.

Sour Fish Curry Picnik collage 5 bis

106 comments:

  1. Ton curry de poisson me rappelle les saveurs mauriciennes que j'aime tant et dont j'ai bien profité... j'ai rapporté beaucoup d'épices pour cuisiner ce genre de plats. Bonne fin de semaine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I am loving the color of this fish curry. I have never actually made my own before but your recipe would be my first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosa this looks great! I've never heard of this type of curry and I'm a huge curry lover! I'm going to try it over the next week...lovely pictures as usual xo e

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, that fish curry look so mouth watering Rosa. Yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to Janet. The recipe sounds delicious and mouthwatering. I haven't visited Janet for a long time being busy myself with the cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is wonderful that Janet has created a cookbook. Lucky you to be one of the first to browse its pages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, love the color of the curry! n the recipe sounds so good n eay to fix. Trying this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magnifiques tes photos ma chère Rosa!!! Je ne me tanne pas de venir faire mon tour dans ta cuisine, c'est du bonbon pour les yeux ;) Ton curry m'a l'air succulent, je mange justement un curry d'agneau ce soir :)

    Bonne journée à toi :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm a fish curry! that sounds and looks fabulous!! gotta give it a try!
    Enjoy the cold weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried or made a fish curry but I love the story behind this recipe. It looks gorgeous, and a delicious winter dinner treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't had fish curry in such a long time and I love it...seing yours with its beautiful colour brings "l'eau a la bouche!" Delicious recipe..
    bisous
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love supporting fellow bloggers in their cookbook making endeavours! And this sounds like such a delicious recipe, that how could you resist! Nothing like a good curry to warm the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm I love spicy fish dishes. What a gorgeous curry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. how wonderful to receive a special cookbook like this. The dish you made looks and sounds delicious.

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  15. You felt a lot of pressure?! I can't imagine that-your food always looks so nice, Rosa. I mean that too. It really does and you never lack in the area of photography, etc...
    This fish curry looks fabulous. 'Gourmet Traveller 88' sounds like a great holiday gift!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowo wish i had this delicious curry looks so so yumm. Drooling ehre.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ce curry de poisson est tellement beau qu'il ne peut qu'être délicieux (lol)
    Bisous et bon WE

    ReplyDelete
  18. as you know, I do have very poor knowledge of exotic food. Nevertheless, your fotos look mouthwathering. Especially when contrasted with the fotos of Geneva vineyards :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks nice Rosa. Btw, I come from Assam,and a 'masor tenga' or 'sour fish' is indeed a very popular dish, a major dish when I was growing up.

    However, I can't help being a bit of a moaner- the typical Assamese reipe is much more simpler than this; no grinding of dry spices, no chilli sauce, no sambal oelek, no stock,and definitely no fish sauce, and the dish is much, much lighter, and has a soupy consistency.

    I am sure this recipe, on it's own, must have tasted delicious too, but, sorry, it is not an 'Assamese masor tenga' at all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look really delicious! and your pfoto is great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mdr mon homme à côté de moi a deviné que j'étais sur ton blog, il a reconnu le style musical !!! Quant à moi qui suis toujours à cours d'idée concernant le poisson, je te dis un grand merci :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know if I'd be adventurous enough to make those dishes (I'm quite the lazy chef!) but your gorgeous photography tempts me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow this looks incredible. I love fish curry, so I will have to try this very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum!! I've never had fish curry before but it looks wonderfully warming. It's been really cold here too, and I love hot soups, stews and curries. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds wonderful! I'm always looking for good curry recipes and new cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful photography...Lovely curry.

    ReplyDelete
  27. fish curry looks great...lovely pics !!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks lipsmacking good! My hometown is very near to the state of Assam. makes me feel nostalgic just from the name of it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How fun to be able to receive a delicious little cookbook from a blogging friend. This dish has some amazing flavors going on. Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The title alone intrigued me to no end. And now that I see what it is, and how good it looks, I'm happy to know that, while exotic and delicious looking, the dish is also very doable.
    Love a good curry!

    Have a great weekend dear Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I often cook this dish when it gets too cold too. It is not that spicy and has a lovely sourness to it that will warm your tummy. :)

    I'm glad you enjoy this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh la la,avec toutes ces épices,je craque.
    Bisous.
    Caro

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am not a huge fan of curries but that really looks and sounds delicious. I like the addition of the sweet chilli sauce. Your photos as always are a treat fro the eyse :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. It will be difficult to find fresh curry leaves, here. But I couldn't get it out of my mind.
    Have a nice week-end

    ReplyDelete
  36. Avec un bon riz parfumé ce plat est parfait!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Quel magnifique curry. J'aime vraiment les currys. De magnifiques photos.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Tempted? I would say screaming out for it.
    Great flavours, colours.
    I had to look up for Samabal oelek, as I had no idea what that was.
    I am definitely cooking this awesome dish.
    Lovely clicks.
    Wishing you a great weekend.

    P.S. Over here is very cold too ♥

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a great-looking curry. The flavor sound delicious, and I like adding extra fish sauce too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. The sour in the title sounds intriguing -- if D were alive he'd want to try it for sure -- he loved curries. I like how this recipe has the individual spices.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a delicious curry! It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have to say Rosa, me being an indian I've never tried this dish. It looks absolutely delicious. I have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This curry fish look really delicious Rosa! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  44. what a delicious looking curry! I have never tried some of these spices but i am very tempted now!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This looks so delicious and good!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ce que j'aime ici ?? La musique.. les z'images..les recettes ?? Disons un TOUT XX

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh Rosa, how are u doing!!
    I love this Assamese curry , i can totally dig in with basamati rice!!
    I think this will be excellent with prawns too!
    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Your Assamese sour curry looks fantastic! Even though we're not having the polar freeze that you are, I love a comforting dish with a bit of heat, but not heavy. Have a warm and wonderful weekend, Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh Rosa, what a lovely recipe! All those marvelous flavors, but so comforting as well.
    Wish I was your neighbor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. looks delicous. i love assam fish curries

    ReplyDelete
  51. Une merveille ce petit plat, un peu de soleil au coeur de l'hiver !! Bon week-end, bises

    ReplyDelete
  52. Un accord parfait entre les images et ce plat très original et parfumé... Un plaisir à voir et des parfums qui nous arrivent... Bises

    ReplyDelete
  53. Tempted indeed! This looks wonderful Rosa...I've never had curry with fish but I would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I really love fish curry. Curries are so comforting. Love the post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  55. omg this looks SO good! Your food pics always make me drool Rosa...and what a tasty looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Yes I am tempted by the colors, spices and overall beautiful presentation of your fish curry dish. I've never tried making fish this way and maybe I should, I sure wouldn't mind having this for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi Rosa, thanks so much for the lovely posts. The pics are awesome. Totally love it. Many thanks for your support again.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Ciao Rosa questa ricetta ha un aspetto delizioso invitante, grazie per il link non conoscevo questo altro food blog, un abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
  59. Je découvre ton blog, les photos sont magnifiques et cette recette très "asianisantes" me convient parfaitement.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Indian curry with chopsticks?? Not eaten with your bare hands?

    Your curry looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  61. love the look of the curry..perfect color n texture!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  62. there is much to be said for rediscovery. :)
    great dish, rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  63. What a lovely gift and a fabulous curry that looks so rich and flavorful! I don't often see fish curries and I am so loving this one! Beautiful as usual, Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Aucune excuse, j'ai toutes ces épices à ma disposition. Les photos sont très appétissantes Rosas.

    ReplyDelete
  65. That sounds like exactly my kind of thing! I have the same reaction to the word "curry" that you do: ooh, ooh where! I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Que j'aime ces plats epices! Rien de tel pour nous rechauffer ces jours-ci.

    ReplyDelete
  67. I too could devour everything curry, your friends book sounds like a gem. Thanks for sharing this with us :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  68. What a fantastic dish, I adore fish curries and this one had amazing flavors. How fun to have received a fellow foodies cookbook :)
    Looks stunning Rosa, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  69. I am tempted to see that bowl of fish curry. Droollll...

    ReplyDelete
  70. I love anykind style of fish curry, the Indian, Sri Lankan, Indonesian, Thai, or Malaysian. Yummy.

    Btw, I have the same bowl as you use here.

    ReplyDelete
  71. I don't eat fish enough, and this looks like a great recipe! Beautiful photos, too, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  72. What a delicious looking recipe! I've recently been in a curry making frenzy and I just have to try this now. You have a very lovely blog :)

    - the runaway

    ReplyDelete
  73. This curry sounds excellent, such a terrific flavor profile with all the spices and ingredients, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  74. This dish has tons of flavor! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Rosa, this fish dish looks SO SO tasty...and sure would have with a big bowl of white rice so I will not miss any of the sauce :-)

    ReplyDelete
  76. Je découvre avec plaisir ce blog et je me régale !!!! Merci pour ces magnifiques photos !!! et ces belles recettes bien sûr !!!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Mmm!! Ces saveurs m'enchantent:)) Bon mardi Rosa;)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  78. Definitely tempted!!
    Your curry sounds so flavourful and looks soooo good! A real sunshine in this cold and grey weather.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Rosa, that dish looks amazing! I love the pictures you too. I think if I made that, my kids would eat fish!!

    ReplyDelete
  80. very tempting,rosa!i could eat a lot of this curry fish,the clicks are very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  81. This curry sounds fantastic! The presentation is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  82. Great choice rosa, I have yet to make anything curry and the pictures always are so colorful and great. This might push me over the edge of course. Lovely cooking

    ReplyDelete
  83. I love Assam fish curry and I'm surprise you like spicy food too. Great job there :D

    ReplyDelete
  84. This dish holds an incredible amount of character.
    Rosa...the whole meal seems to suit the spiciness you seem to enjoy so much ;o)
    This would maybe be a tad too much for my sensitive tummy.
    Overall...I can see that a lot of thought went into the preparation of this recipe...kudos to the author and the cook of course ;)

    Have a great week and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  85. Very interesting curry! Thanks for sharing. Beautiful takes.

    ReplyDelete
  86. bonjour,
    très jolie promenade sur ce blog, qu'elle soit gustative ou dans la nature c'est très agréable et ça donne envie de faire TOUT DE SUITE la recette
    Bravo ! à bientôt...

    ReplyDelete
  87. Ce curry m'a l'air excellent ! Je ne pense pas souvent à préparer le poisson de cette façon. Un beau et bon rappel...

    ReplyDelete
  88. ta recette m'a l'air fabuleuse !
    elle donne faim !
    j'adore tes photos
    bravo pour l'article
    bonne journée
    val

    ReplyDelete
  89. une bien jolie balade culinaire.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Waouw j'ai bien envie d'essayer !!!! Merci ! C'est savoureux à travers l'écran !!!! Bises !

    ReplyDelete
  91. pics are stunning and the dish looks worth trying, so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  92. Oh! Rosa..
    Fish curry is my favorite.
    Wonderful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  93. Beautiful. What a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  94. Oh my Rosa... you have me here drooling for some fish curry!

    ReplyDelete
  95. It's obvious this is full of flavor. And it looks so tender. Nice cold weather dish!

    ReplyDelete
  96. I have learnt something Indian from your space today.This curry is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  97. I love curries and this sounds amazing! And your photos are of course gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  98. Il est rès appétissant ce curry de poisson, bonne journée

    ReplyDelete