Monday, February 27, 2006

PARSNIP PUREE

Since root vegetables are getting trendy again and are not considered anymore like wartime food or cattle food, I chose to cook parsnip as I thought that it would bring a certain novelty to the table...

I was very satisfied, because this puree is very interesting and tasty. It had a sweet, yet tangy carrotty taste and the parmesan cheese and parsley added an interesting nutty and herby aroma. I liked it, although my boy was not so hot about it (oh well, you know men and vegetables...!!!

I invented my own "Parsnip Puree" recipe and spiced it up in my own way... So, what you'll find here is not an exact recipe, but more an idea of how you can prepare this special root.

All the quantities here are free, so it's up to you to play and dose each ingredients as you wish...

Ingredients:

Parsnips, peeled and cut in big cubes
Butter
Cream

Parmesan cheese, grated
Garlic, crushed

Parsley, chopped
A pinch curry powder

Pepper
salt

Method:
1. Steam the parsnip until tender.
2. While still hot, puree the parsnip.
3. In a pan, melt some butter, add the parsnip and mix.
4. Mix in cream, parmesan, garlic, parsley, curry, pepper and salt.
5. Serve hot.


Remarks:
You can also add mashed carrots or mashed potatoes, if you wish...

Serving suggestions:
Serve with fish, lamb or sausages.

You can use it like potatoe puree; it's as nurishing.

(Parsnips -Pic by www.agric.nsw.gov.au)

5 comments:

  1. I don't know parsnips but i think it's delicious ... I want taste that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed, it is very special in taste. If you like root celery or carrots, you should enjoy this vegetable...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This puree sounds very interesting! The first time I tried parsnips, I was amazed at how sweet they taste. The contrast with parmesan and garlic in this puree must be very good!

    I once made a caramelized parsnip cake that was so sweet and tasty that nobody guessed there was a vegetable inside! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi rosa, parnips are a greatly undervalued vegetable, but your dish does it true justice. curried parsnip soup is another classic - your post has me craving some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tania: Yes, they are sweet! I know that there are cake recipes with parsnips, I'll have to try that once.....

    This puree was very fine indeed and the parmesan added a little nutty taste to it.

    J: At least, now, parsnips are getting a little hip, but they are still unknown to most people...

    In fact, it seems that parsnips can be used in a multitude of ways.

    ReplyDelete