Monday, February 6, 2006

"PAIN AU LAIT" BREAD

This „PAIN AU LAIT“ recipe is in fact that of the “Parker House Rolls“ which originates from Boston.

The dough of this bread is enriched with butter and eggs and glazed with more butter for best result. Their smooth texture is very light and their outside is soft.

Taste-wise, they have a fine round buttery aroma that will enchant both your nose and palate…


These "Pain Au Lait" are delicate little rolls which are very enjoyable and so cute looking!

The recipe was taken from Eric Treuille and Ursula Ferrigno’s wonderful bread book “Ultimate Bread” and adapted by myself.


Ingredients:

2 1/2 Tsp Dry Yeast

250ml Milk
60g Unsalted butter, melted
30g Unsalted butter, melted to glaze the rolls
2 Tbs Castor sugar

2 Eggs (~50g), beaten
560g Plain white flour
2 Tsps Salt

Method:
1. Sprinkle the yeast into 100ml of the milk in a small bowl, leave for 5 minutes and stir to dissolve.
2. Warm the remaining milk in a saucepan with the sugar and butter. Stir constantly until the butter has melted.

3. Cool until tepid, then beat in the eggs until combined.
4. In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt together.
5. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeasted milk and the butter/sugar/milk mixture.
6. Mix in the flour to form a soft, sticky dough.

7. Turn the dough out on a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth, shiny and elastic.
8. Put the dough in a buttered bowl and cover with a teat towel. Leave to rise until doubled in size for about 1-1 1/2 hours.
9. Knock back and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
10. Divide the dough into 16 pieces.
11. Roll each piece into a 30cm rope and form into a coil, tucking under the end.
12. Place on a baking pan lined with baking paper, cover with a tea towel and prove for about 30 minutes until doubled in size.

13. Brush each roll with melted butter.
14. Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F) and bak
e for 15-20 minutes until golden.
15. Leave to cool on a wire rack and brush again with a little melted butter.

Remarks:
If the dough is too sticky while kneading, add 1 tablespoon flour at a time.
Don’t add too much flour; the dough should not be too dry, but soft.

Serving suggestions:
These rich bread rolls are delicious with almost anything (cheese, jam, pâté, etc…) and can be enjoyed at any time of the day.

(Boston -Pic by Chris Lovett www.trekearth.com)

23 comments:

  1. Sieht sehr schön aus. Der Teig ist dem Zopfteig ähnlich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danke! Es is ein bisschen ähnlich aber nicht ganz...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, Zopfteig hat Kirsch hinein aber "Pain Au Lait" hat kein Schnaps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tres mignons, on dirait des petits escargots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous blog! Es gefallt mir sehr!
    Thanks for stopping by to see mine, and for including Kross-eyed Kitty in your round up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracianne: Merci! Oui, on dirait des petits escargots...

    Kross-eyed Kitty: Thanks for the encouragement and for passing by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yours pains au lait are yummy, yummy ... I want to eat this pains au lait ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ils ont l'air si tendres...on a envie d'y croquer dedans :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ils sont très mignons, ces pains au lait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wouldn't mind a bite :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ce n'est pas très commun cette forme pour des pains au lait.. on dirait mes ensaimadas espagnoles.. Tu commences tes bonnes résolutions 2006??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elvira: Merci beaucoup!

    Skyjuice7: Take one, then!;-)))

    Avital: Oui c'est pas très commun...
    Très bientôt, je ferai des pains au chocolat et tenterai de ne pas m'énerver à cause de ma cuisine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We made tons of this in culinary school, and I loved it. One of my favourites!

    I'm glad to see someone posting recipes in weights. I'm a little leary of it because not too many people over here have decent kitchen scales. I have one, but I needed it for school. Perhaps I should get over that though and post away!

    I see you have linked me. I'll link you back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wandering Coyote,

    Thanks for passing by!

    Those measures here are correct as they come out of a serious bread book, so there should be no problem...

    Being a continental European, I'm more comfortable with weights as cups and pounds are not measures I'm well aquainted with. I always have to convert everything...

    Thanks for linking me!

    Regards,
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Rosa,

    My little sisters' name is also Rosa.

    I am right now making these "pains". They seems so delicious, I will let you know when it's done. They are having their first rise right now.

    I wanted to know though, for the salt its says 2TBS is that correct, or should it be 2TSP.

    thanks
    bambie

    ReplyDelete
  16. BAMBIE: Thanks for your kind message and for passing by!

    I hope those "Pains Au Lait" will be to your taste and come out well! I'm looking forwards to your sincere opinion...

    Thanks for asking! In fact, I badly copied my recipe... It is 2 teaspoons and NOT 2 Tbs salt! SORRY if I have misled you :-(((!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for you response Rosa.

    I managed to get at least 1tbs of salt back out of the flour.

    I just got these breads out of the oven and they are cooling they look awesome. I have taken some pictures how can I post them?

    I haven't tasted them yet but I hope the salt mix up did not ruin them, cause they look really good to eat!

    Well, as soon as they cool down I will let you know how they taste.

    thanks for your recipe
    bambie

    ReplyDelete
  18. BAMBIE: I'm happy to hear that you managed to take away 1 Tbs of salt! Now, it should not be too salty as 2 Tsps nearly equals to 1 Tbs...

    In fact, I don't think you can post them in the comment section, but do you own a blog or can you put a link to your site (picasa, flickr, etc... - where the photos are)? You can also e-mail them, if you wish.

    I can't wait to see your pictures!

    Kind regards,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rosa,

    Here are the links to the photos.

    They were really good. My husband is French and he said " I feel like I am back home". I will make them for breakfast very often. My dough yielded 20 "pains". I tasted a bit the salt, but it was not so bad. Also, I believe the extra salt made the dough a bit firmer than they should be. But they are still great.

    Thanks for your recipe. I also added a few chocolate chips to the dough as you might see from the photos.

    http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/elms29/Petitpainaulait.jpg

    http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/elms29/Petitpainaulait2.jpg


    BIG UP!! from all the way in Barbados, West Indies.

    Bambie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Bambie!

    Thanks for the links!

    Wow, your "Pains Au Lait" look great and very pretty! You did a great job!

    I'm happy to know that they made your husband feel like he would be back home!

    I guess the extra salt might have made them a little tougher than normal... Chocolate chips, that's a wonderful addition!

    Kind regards and have a great week,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  21. if you brush an egg wash over the top before you bake instead of using the melted butter, they will come out glossy and more pleasing to the eye. save the extra butter for when you actually eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ANONYMOUS: Thanks for passing by! That is a good idea, but the butter brushed over the top of the buns adds an extra softness to the "crust" which should be very smooth...

    ReplyDelete