Monday, February 6, 2006

COLD SATURDAY EVENING FOOD

As it was blistering cold outside on Saturday, my boyfriend and I decided to eat one of his favorite meals: RACLETTE!!!...

So, we bought fine Cremo Raclette Mazot cheese (one of our favorite) as we always do; I really recommend this cheese to those who can buy it as it's really raffined and tasty.

For those who didn't read my posts regarding Swiss food, Raclette is a Swiss speciality which consists in melting Raclette cheese and eating it with boiled potatoes, smoked bacon (Speckwürfel or lard fumé) or dry meat, special Raclette spices (Raclette mix), shallots and pickled vegetables (onions, shallots, gerkins, baby corn...) or whatever you wish to add. The bacon and shallots are added over the cheese before it's melted (that's when you use a Raclette oven) and the spices can be added once the Raclette has melted. The other ingredients are to be eaten together with the melted cheese, as accompaniment...

I love putting small cubes of red pepper on top of the cheese, along with shallots, dried herbs, garlic powder and bacon. Once the
cheese is melted, the topping is nicely cooked (slightly grilled) and the aromas are beautiful...

It was a very tasty and comforting meal which is a classic at our home. The cheese was light, creamy and had a delicate flavor. All in all, this supper was very pleasant...

When in doubt, choose "Raclette"!!!

The Raclette we ate:


(Raclette Cremo -Pic www.cremo.ch)

3 comments:

  1. I absoutely adore raclette!!!

    My parents in law were visiting us over Easter and we introduced them to raclette they loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Raclette and were lucky enough to enjoy our first taste around a fireplace in the Swiss Mountains. Now that we are back in the States, I have searched for what the spice mix is. Do you know what the usual combination of spices are? Someplace to buy it online?
    Thanks
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. PATTI: Thanks for passing by and for leaving a comment!
    I'm pleased to hear that you like Raclette...
    I don't know where you can buy that spice mix in the States (have you tried Amazon?), but here's the usual combination of ground spices: paprika, Cayenne pepper, black pepper, white pepper, nutmeg, mace, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, carraway seeds. I don't know the quantities... I'm sorry I can't help you more!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete