Saturday, June 27, 2009

BAKEWELL TART - THE DARING BAKERS

Ladies and Gents, once again, it is time for me to reveal this month's "Daring Bakers" challenge. The June Daring Bakers' challenge is hosted by Jasmine of "Confessions Of A Cardamom Addict" (Canada) and Annemarie of "Ambrosia And Nectar" (UK). They chose a Traditional (UK) Bakewell Tart... er... pudding that was inspired by a rich baking history dating back to the 1800's in England...

Being half English and having visited the Derbyshire area in the East Midlands many times since I was born, I can say that I know quite well both versions of the "Bakewell Tart/Pudding" (the homemade "Bakewell Tart" and the original as well as unmatchable "Bakewell Pudding" baked by "The Old Original Pudding Company" from the small market town of Bakewell) and have eaten my share of that delicious speciality since I saw the light of day in the seventies. So, it is with much joy that I undertook to bake that wonderful dessert course which is indissociable from the English culinary patrimony and from my family's Derbyshire roots.

But before I start speaking about that great treat, I'd like to make light on the common misnaming of that speciality. It is to be said that the local confection "Bakewell Pudding" is often mistaken for the "Bakewell Tart" and people tend to be confused when it comes to differenciating them from one another.

Both patries are a little similar ingredients-wise (jam, pastry and almond filling), yet they are so different in flavor, texture and appearance. What demarcate a "Bakewell Pudding" from a "Bakewell Tart" is that the first is a puddingy jam pie (it somehow reminds me of clafoutis encased in pastry) with an egg and a ground almond enriched filling, encased in flaky pastry and the second is a straight-forward jam filled tart which is made with shortcrust pastry and a frangipane or a sponge topping.

While everybody can make a "Bakewell Tart" at home as the recipes abund on the net/in books and find it in bakeries all over the UK, you can't find the original "Bakewell Pudding" recipe anywhere and can only buy that special treat in Bakewell as the original 1820's recipe is kept secret and is known by only a few people who work in the both bakeries ("Bloomers Old and Only Original" and "The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop") situated in that very town of the Peak District National Park.

As you might have guessed by now, both pies just can't be compared. But, in my opinion both versions are exquisite, so I refuse to play the high-nosed traditionalist or food fascist who only swears in the ultra rare version and snobs the most spread one; I'll eat them both with much pleasure and gluttony!

Well, this is surely the very fist time that a Daring Bakers recipe hasn't made my adrenaline flow rise or stressed me. That is a good point as, for once, I could relax while baking and, as it is a tart that I have baked many times before, I knew that I could take that challenge easily...

Everything went well and the result was highly satisfying. According to my boyfriend, "It looked and tasted perfect. Just like a tart you'd find in a bakery or even better". Well, I must say that it was one of the best "Bakewell Tart" recipes I have made so far!

As I like sharp jams, I decided to use homemade blackcurrant jam in order to create an interesting contrast with the round sweetness of this tart's frangipane filling. That combo was absolutely luscious. The pastry was gorgeously flaky as well as buttery, yet not overly or sickeningly rich. The filling was smooth, luxurious and delightfully almondy. Terrific! What an ambrosial "Bakewell Tart" that was neither too cloying nor chockingly stuffy!

If you love English, old-fashioned teatime confections, then this luscious tart just what you are looking for!

I really want to thank Jasmine and Annemarie for having chosen that recipe dear to my little heart!

~ Bakewell Tart ~
Recipe by Jasmine and Annemarie.

Makes one 23cm (9” tart)
.

Prep. time: Less than 10 minutes (plus time for the individual elements, see below)
Resting time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes

Equipment needed:
23cm (9”) tart pan or pie tin (preferably with ridged edges)
Rolling pin

One quantity sweet shortcrust pastry (recipe follows)
Bench flour
250ml (1cup/250g) Jam or curd, warmed for spreadability
One quantity frangipane (recipe follows)
One handful blanched, flaked almonds (optional)

***************

Shortcrust Pastry

Prep. time: 15-20 minutes
Resting time: 30 minutes (minimum)

Ingredients:
225g (8oz) All purpose flour
30g (1oz) Castor sugar

2.5ml (1/2 Tsp) Salt
110g (4oz) Unsalted butter, very cold (frozen is better)
2 Egg yolks
2.5ml (1/2 Tsp) Almond extract (optional/I didn't use any)
15-30ml (1-2 Tbsp) Cold water

Method:

1. Sift together flour, sugar and salt.
2. Grate butter into the flour mixture, using the large hole-side of a box grater.

3. Using your finger tips only, and working very quickly, rub the fat into the flour until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Set aside.
4. Lightly beat the egg yolks with the almond extract (if using) and quickly mix into the flour mixture.
5. Keep mixing while dribbling in the water, only adding enough to form a cohesive and slightly sticky dough.
6. Form the dough into a disc, wrap in cling and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Jasmine's remarks:

I make this using vanilla salt and vanilla sugar.
If you wish, you can substitute the seeds of one vanilla bean, one teaspoon of vanilla paste or one teaspoon of vanilla extract for the almond extract.


***************


Frangipane

Prep. time: 10-15 minutes

Equipment needed: bowls, hand mixer, rubber spatula

Ingredients:
125g (4.5oz) Unsalted butter, softened

125g (4.5oz) Icing sugar
3 Large eggs
2.5ml (1/2 Tsp) Almond extract
125g (4.5oz) Ground almonds

30g (1oz) All purpose flour

Method:
1. Cream butter and sugar together for about a minute
or until the mixture is primrose in colour and very fluffy.

2. Scrape down the side of the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition (The batter may appear to curdle. In the words of Douglas Adams: Don’t panic. Really. It’ll be fine).
3. After all three are in, pour in the almond extract and mix for about another 30 seconds and scrape down the sides again.
4. With the beaters on, spoon in the ground nuts and the flour. Mix well (T
he mixture will be soft, keep its slightly curdled look - mostly from the almonds - and retain its pallid yellow colour).

Annemarie’s remarks:
Add another five minutes or more if you're grinding your own almonds or if you're mixing by hand (heaven help you).


***************

Assembling the tart

1. Place the chilled dough disc on a lightly floured surface (If it's overly cold, you will need to let it become acclimatised for about 15 minutes before you roll it out).
2. Flour the rolling pin and roll the pastry to 5mm (1/4”) thickness, by rolling in one direction only (start from the centre and roll away from you), and turning the disc a quarter turn after each roll.
3. When the pastry is to the desired size and thickness, transfer it to the tart pan, press in and trim the excess dough.
4. Patch any holes, fissures or tears with trimmed bits.
5. Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 200° C (400° F).

7. Remove shell from freezer, spread as even a layer as you can of jam onto the pastry base.
8. Top with frangipane, spreading to cover the entire surface of the tart.
9. Smooth the top and pop into the oven for 30 minutes.
10. Five minutes before the tart is done, the top will be poofy and brownish. Remove from oven and strew flaked almonds on top and return to the heat for the last five minutes of baking (The finished tart will have a golden crust a
nd the frangipane will be tanned, poofy and a bit spongy-looking).
11. Remove from the oven and cool on the counter.


Jasmine’s & Annemarie's remarks:
If you cannot have nuts, you can try substituting Victoria sponge for the frangipane. It's a pretty popular popular cake, so you shouldn't have any troubles finding one in one of your cookbooks or through a Google search.
You can use whichever jam you wish, but if you choose something with a lot of seeds, such as raspberry or blackberry, you should sieve them out.
The jam quantity can be anywhere from 60ml (1/4 cup) to 250ml (1cup), depending upon how “damp” and strongly flavoured your preserves are. I made it with the lesser quantity of home made strawberry jam, while Annemarie made it with the greater quantity of cherry jam; we both had fabulous results. If in doubt, just split the difference and spread 150ml (2/3cup) on the crust.
The excess shortcrust can be rolled out and cut into cookie-shapes (heck, it’s pretty darned close to a shortbread dough).

Serving suggestions:
Serve warm or at room temperature, with crème fraîche, whipped cream, clotted cream or custard sauce, if you wish.

****************

Etant donné la longueur du texte original, je n'ai malheureusement pas pu faire une traduction française de ce billet et je m'en excuse auprès de tous mes amis lecteurs et blogueurs francophones!

C'est pourquoi je vous suggère de vous rendre sur les blogs mentionnés ci-dessous. Vous y trouverez cette recette en version française.

Chez Vibi de "La Casserole Carrée" (Canada)
Chez Isa de "Les Gourmandises d'Isa" (Canada)

129 comments:

  1. Gorgeous tart Rosa! Well baked to perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - I LOVE these old English desserts! Great job, Rosa! Looking forward to seeing all the other DB's efforts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tart looks lovely! I especially love the icing sugar design you've done on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of bakewell tarts, but it reminds me a lot of certain Italian crostate. The frangipane makes it really special for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely Rosa. Great pics as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely agree that this tart is so good with tea. I kind of confuse when between the two terms. So, I made the tart, and most definitely not pudding! As most of your creations, this one is gorgeous as well.
    xoxo,
    elra

    ReplyDelete
  7. I confess that bakewell tart is a new one on me. But obviously it shouldn't be since it's got a heaping amount of almonds in it. And I LOVE almonds. Thanks for opening my eyes to a new treat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks deeelish! I thought it was quite tasty. Like you...mine turned out a tart. Now, off to write my post! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ce fut ma première expérience de la tarte bakewell et j'ai adoré.
    Elle a vraiment l'air délicieuse ta tarte et est très belle...
    Bises et bon week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magnifique texte! Je suis très heureuse d'en avoir appris un peu plus sur toi. Ce fût ma première expérience et j'ai adoré. Comme à ton habitude ta présentation est parfaite et tes photographies sont fantastiques!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the extra info on the tart er pudding. Your looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty...I like the almonds and sugar on top. It looks wonderful and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tart looks just beautiful, Rosa! The black currant jam sounds wonderful too! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just beautiful Rosa. saw it over at the forum & fell in love with it. Gorgeous tart! I enjoyed the challenge loads too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amaaaaazing!! I love the way you did that deco on top of it :) Lovely pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Superb tart Rosa! I must say this was a really fun challenge to do and also to eat. Your tart looks simply irresistable and I wish I had some here now!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yup! I would definitely like a slice!!! one for me Rosa..thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful tart and sounds so delicious! The almonds and sugar arrangement on the top is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am still a bit terrified when making tarts. Thanks for all the information given and I am sure this will help me next time I will be making one. Yours looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How lovely! We enjoyed ours too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow it looks just awesome like almonds and sugar on top looks so beautiful and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! What a unique decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks gorgeous, Rosa and this didn't stress me out either (for once!) :D

    I think the pudding/ tart confusion partially has to do with the English traditionally referring to most desserts as pudding! I may be wrong here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Even though I've never made bakewell tarts, I also felt very relaxed and un-stressed about this month's recipe too. Your tart looks absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rosa, I agree with you. A lovely, old fashioned favourite. It also holds very fond memories for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the black currant jam, and your tart came out picture perfect, absolutely beautiful! Wonderful job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous pictures! it looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. tes photos sont superbes Rosa :) c'est franchement réussi ! j'ai trouvé cette recette bien meilleure que celle que j'avais faite par le passé !

    ReplyDelete
  29. ..coucou ma belle Rosa!!..

    ..que tes photos sont appétissantes!!..et je suis certaine que ce devait être délicieux;)

    ..bo samedi..

    ~nancy xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your tart is absolutely beautiful. I like the strong contrast between the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous as always,rosa:).And thanks for the clear explanation of diff. between the BW tart and pudding,I was a little confused myself;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for setting me straight on the pudding/tart thing, because I really didn't get it!
    Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A beautiful tart and I so much enjoyed the history on the pudding and the tart.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Glad you explained the confusion ;)
    Beautiful tart, Rosa :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yum, your tart looks totally amazing, and thanks for the explanation! Looks so so delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a gorgeous presentation! You did an amazing job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yes, I would like a slice. This is really a beautiful tart and I love the thought of the blackcurrent jam paired with the frangipane filling! Yummy and rich! And a compliment like that from a boyfriend is worth everything!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your tart looks perfect!

    Greetings,
    Tiina

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful! It looks so yummy!

    I love your clarification of the two versions of the tart/pudding. I just couldn't understand how a tart would be called a pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hallo Rosa, bin gerade dabei, das tolle Stück nachzubacken. Ergänzt Du noch die Mehlmenge? Die fehlt beim Rezept für den Boden (225 g). Liebe Grüße und Danke für das schöne Rezept!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Mmm! Premier fois que j'entend parler de cette tarte, mais elle est delicieusse, je doit l'essayer! Merci pour la recette.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Elle semble délicieuse comme tout et de plus elle est drôlement jolie:) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  43. As always, your results look perfect! It was a yummy challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your tart looks perfect! Blackcurrant is such a nice jam to go along with the almondy frangipane. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Rosa, a beauty! I love that your significant other said it was as pretty as something from a bakery. Isn't all of your food as wonderful as something from a bakery? (it looks that way from my screen :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. The tart looks gorgeous and moist. I wish I could have traded a piece with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Your tart looks gorgeous and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Well done Rosa! Those look gorgeous :) Beautiful photography as always =D

    ReplyDelete
  49. rosa this tart is perfect for the sumer.already craving for it. nice shots
    cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. SCNUPPSCHNUESS: Thanks! I had forgotten to put write that ;-P...

    ReplyDelete
  51. OMG ! C'est exactement le genre de tarte que j'aime...
    Je vais en faire une, c'est obligé maintenant... (sache que mes hanches ne te remercient pas)

    ReplyDelete
  52. I just recently feel in love with currants. I think that the combination must have been indeed very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Dinner canceled - we couldn't stop eating this de-li-cious tart!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Your tart looks fantastic and so scrummy. It's funny because I also wanted to mae blackcurrant jam but then I couldn't find any blackcurrents..Nice that you also have Derbyshire roots!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love the photos and your background on the tart!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Il me faut la recette!!!Tu es si enthousiaste et tes photos sont si belles que je veux goûter.
    Bisous.
    Caro

    ReplyDelete
  57. Great job! I love your pictures :-)
    Bises++

    ReplyDelete
  58. This looks absolutely beautiful, Rosa. I love this confection and it seems that so many of you did a lovely job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  59. So lovely, I adore the way you decorated and photographed this tart! Another beautifully accomplished challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  60. Just beautiful! The tart, the story, and the pictures! They are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Who can resist? Of course I would like to have a slice...yummie! Love it all...

    ReplyDelete
  62. Delicious looking tart, Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  63. What a delightful tart! I like the way you snap the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  64. Yum!! Your tart looks wonderful!! I love your photos =D.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Your tart looks absolutely gorgeous and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Good to hear about the difference about the BW tart and BW pudding from a 'local'. Your wonderful posts are always a joy to read and your pixs are great and really show off the tart so well. Blackcurrant jam is exactly right fof this tart I wish I could get some in Australia. Bravo on your efforts this month. Cheers from Audax

    ReplyDelete
  67. No words to express!! Looks divine! makes me wanna join DB too :)

    ReplyDelete
  68. Are those stripes of icing sugar on op? it looks really cool! How did you do that - with some sort of stencil?

    ReplyDelete
  69. HILARY: Yes. I made them with a stencil (from IKEA)...

    ReplyDelete
  70. As usual Rosa... everything you touch turns out wonderful! If everything you didi turned out to gold... you should think about buying a goose! LOL

    Pretty darn good looking tart!

    ReplyDelete
  71. This was an amazing recipe, wasn't it! Love the black currant jam, your rendition looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  72. I LOVE your icing sugar design. Your pictures are so bright and summery.
    Your tarts look delicious. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Gorgeous tart. The color is so perfect and even on the frangipane!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Beautiful tart Rosa and thank you for the explanation distinguishing between to two dessert options. I had no idea. Now I am curious to try the pudding side of the dessert =). Great Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  75. Very nice job! I love the sugar streaks, and how sleek your tart came out!

    I also thought a sharper, tart filling worked really well with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  76. I agree with you--it is not good to play the food snob b/c you miss out on good food. Your tart looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  77. "Scrumptious" tart ;) And, interesting additional history!

    ReplyDelete
  78. Waouh ! Being a big fan of frangipane, I just want to try and taste your recipe. Yum. Thanks for all the explanations on that dessert... I didn't know before you were half-English...

    ReplyDelete
  79. Je vais m'atteler à la traduction parce que les photos me mettent l'eau à la bouche !

    * * Bises

    ReplyDelete
  80. une seule envie, c'est d'y gouter!! ça doit être divin! bisous

    ReplyDelete
  81. Oooh..black currant jam sounds delicious, and your tart looks fabulous. I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge. I did too!

    ReplyDelete
  82. comme d'ahabitude les photos sont superbes et donnes envie , je ne me lasse jamais de la frangipane , ta version a l'air moelleuse et légère .
    bises

    ReplyDelete
  83. Your tart is so lovely! Great job on this month's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  84. So beautiful tart and memories :)
    Thanks for your nice visit and comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Your tart is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  86. Would you like a slice? YES please.. =)
    especially a pie that gorgeous. Great job! love the icing sugar details.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Cette tarte doit etre délicieuse avec l'amande!! En tout cas elle est vraiment superbe!

    ReplyDelete
  88. simply elegant rosa! it looks perfect. nice going on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  89. Your tart looks wonderful. I've been to Bakewell too and its surprising how different the pudding is to the tart. The jam you used sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
  90. Je fonds littéralement pour ce genre de tarte à la frangipane, je crois même que je pourrais en manger tous les jours que Dieu fait!

    ReplyDelete
  91. Je suis fan de frangipane alors ta superbe tarte me fait tourner la tête !! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  92. extra! j'adore...il faut que je fasse ça...dès que j'aurais à nouveau un four digne de ce nom... snif!

    ReplyDelete
  93. I agree...this is definitely something that you would see in a bakery. I found it so easy too. Perfect for brunch!
    Great pphotos...

    ReplyDelete
  94. I can't believe this is the first time you didn't get stressed over a DB challenge -- everything you make is always so perfect! And this is no exception, of course. Black currant jam sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  95. So pretty! Your crusts look delicious too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  96. Gorgeous tart Rosa - Bakewell tart happens to be one of my favourites!!

    ReplyDelete
  97. Coucou,
    Bravo pour ce nouveau défi ;-)
    Comme d'habitude je suis Fan de tes réalisations et de tes Photos !!!
    Bonne semaine : Bizzz.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Looks DELICIOUS! I think the pudding also sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  99. Love the black currant filling, marvelous job!

    ReplyDelete
  100. your tart looks so sunny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  101. the tart looks beautiful and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  102. Beautifully done, Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  103. Rosa,

    High praise! Your post is great and your tart is lovely.

    Thanks so much for participating.
    j

    ReplyDelete
  104. Terribe cette tarte mélangée en plus avec une de mes confitures préférées.

    ReplyDelete
  105. Hi Rosa. It's Eugene.

    Very nice!! This tart so tender...

    I could not silent... and would like to invite you (and all who want of course) to my little master-class about my cakes... :) It's here...

    http://hlebopechka.ru/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=126&topic=14063.0

    PS If I can't post the link, please, remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  106. Hi Eugene!

    Thanks a lot for the kind comment and visit :-D!

    Wow, those "Small Basket Cakes" are so pretty! What a wonderful recipe! You are very talented!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    PS I will write back to you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  107. Oh la la cela donne envie de se ruer dans la cuisine pour voire si oon a les ingredients ! Bravo et merci du partage !

    ReplyDelete
  108. Elle est superbe cette tarte ! J'adore !

    ReplyDelete
  109. Cette tarte est magnifique ! J'adore !

    ReplyDelete
  110. Cette tarte est magnifique et a l'air délicieuse ! Elle me tente beaucoup !

    ReplyDelete
  111. This tart looks sssooo good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  112. The tart looks lovely...I hope you saved me some for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  113. Mmmmmmmmm. Your Bakewell tart looks perfect, delicious, yummy... Yes, can I have a slice, please?

    ReplyDelete
  114. Gorgeous tart.
    Thank you for delving deeper into tart lore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  115. Beautiful Rosa. Wish I had time to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  116. It's gorgegous! And had I not been convinced before to try this you certainly would have done the job!

    Thanks for shedding some light on the whole tart, pudding deal.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  117. oh that sounds marvelous. rosa you always make it sound so easy! I've never had a bakewell anything but will keep an eye out for it on the menu...

    ReplyDelete
  118. Your tart looks so beautiful! I love your pictures!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  119. Looks perfectly delicious!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  120. Quelle jolie tarte, ça doit être un délice! Je t'en pique volontiers une part pour le goûter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  121. I lovee your pictures! SO colorful! Great tart!!

    ReplyDelete
  122. Terriblement gourmand, les photos sont superbes !

    ReplyDelete
  123. Glad this let you get in touch with your English roots, and thanks for adding a bit more to the history of the tart & pudding. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  124. hum elle me donne terriblement envie cette tarte!

    ReplyDelete