As far as I could remember, at home, we always ate hamburgers accompanied by those succulent caramelized onions and I loved them soooo much!
So, here is a recipe I developped over the years according to my own taste. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do...
~ Super Tasty Caramelized Onions ~
Recipe by Rosa @ Rosa's Yummy Yums
Yields a medium bowl.
5 Big white or red onions, cut into rings
2 1/2 Tbs Melted butter or ghee
1 1/2 Tbs Runny honey
1 Tbs Castor sugar
1 1/2 Tbs white vinegar or balsamic vinegar
1 Pinch paprika powder
2-3 Clove garlic, crushed or 1 Tsp garlic powder
1/2 Tsp Dried thyme
1/2 Tsp Dried oregano
1/4 Tsp Dried basil
1 Tsp Dried rosemary
Tabasco sauce, to taste
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1. Pound the dried herbs in a mortar in order to obtain a fine powder.
2. Heat up the frying pan, add the butter and let it get a little golden in colour (be careful not to let it burn), then add the onion rings. Stir.
3. When the onions are a transparent, add the crushed garlic, the paprika and the powdered herbs. Stir for about 1 minute.
4. Add the sugar and honey and keep on stirring.
5. Add the vinegar, and stir for about 3 more minutes or until the onions have a gluey coat around them.
6. Add some Tabasco sauce.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.
Be careful to never let the onions burn. They should be golden.
These caramelized onions are delicious when served hot with hamburgers and meat patties or just simply as an accompaniment to barbecues or strong cheese (Cheddar, Brie, Gorgonzola).
(Hamburger -Pic by www.americanwesternmagazine.com)