Some time ago we have discovered "Selection Alexander Von Essen" (see link in German/contains more info) wines and have not been disappointed by any of the bottles we have bought and which were tagged with that "brand" as they are all phenomenal vintages!
The German-based importer Baron Alexander Von Essen has transformed his passion into a rewarding career as a wine dealer. In the 80´s, he had the great idea to to offer wine lovers a special selection of excellent wines fom Europe (Hungary, Switzerland, Italy, France, Germany, Austria and Spain) and the New World (South America & South Africa). So, he decided to incite the greatest winemakers to vinify the grapes from the best plots of land separately and to create top-grade cuvees for him.
Baron Alexander Von Essen likes to discover new regional wines and believes that the most expensive wines aren't always the best and that more affordable ones can also be as interesting. For him the culture of wine shows a fascination for nature and he shows as much interest for traditional winemakers as for newcomers...
The design of his bottles is also very important, because, on the outside, the packaging is the only thing that sets a bottle apart from the others. In his opinion, the bottle, the label and the appearance should correspond to the quality of the wine. That is why the packaging of all "Selection Alexander Von Essen" wines has been designed by himself.
Tasted and highly recommended wines:
- Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon Mariposa / Los Vascos, Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Chili)
- Chardonnay Cuvée Orchidée / Château L’ Hospitalet, Gérard Bertand (France)
- Sauvignon Blanc Cuvée Orchidée / Château L’ Hospitalet , Gérard Bertand (France)
- Barbera d’Asti Superiore DOC "Vigneto Caplot" / Azienda Canova (Italy)
- Ripasso Rivolo / Masi (Italy)
- Südtiroler Lagrein 'Abtei' DOC / Muri-Gries (Italy)
- Pinotage / Bouwland (South Africa)
- Eternity Chardonnay / Buitenverwachting (South Africa)
- Sauvignon Blanc Coastal / Buitenverwachting (South Africa)