Friday, November 25, 2011

BUVETTE DES BAINS - RESTAURANT REVIEW


Generally, I rarely or rather never go out to eat because my ridiculous financial situation doesn't give me the possibility to do such fun things. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I went to the restaurant and I had a romantic evening with my boyfriend during which I didn't have to play the role of the chef cook...


Thankfully, sometimes I do get the chance to leave my appartment in order to have a relaxing afternoon with my friend Corinne who never fails to find the best dining locations. As a rule, we either invite one another for lunch or occasionally enjoy a meal at
MANOR's cafeteria, a falafel sandwich from a kebab joint in town or an assortment of fabulous Lebanese specialities at "Good Taste" in neighboring France. Nothing high-class, bling-bling or stylish, but nonetheless greatly convivial and fun. Then again, I'm no snobbish/snotty or show off foodie and don't care about what's in or not, because my tastes are timeless and not linked to appearance (the same can be said about me in general).

Consequently, we choose places that are extremely budget-friendly, but offer scrumptious grub. So, today, I have decided to review a lovely eatery we went to at the begining of autumn and which we really liked.

The canteen is called "
Buvette Des Bains" and is situated in the middle of the Rade, in a unique site on the Pâquis jetty: "Bains Des Pâquis" ("Pâquis Baths"). Those baths are a historical institution (they were opened to the public back in 1932) and an example of cosmopolitan Geneva where young and old alike, dynamic business men and women as well as artists, students, mothers, unemployed job seekers and many others meet. Being designed as a beach resort that is famous for its bars, concerts, spa/sauna facilities, relaxing areas, swimmimg pools and diner, this charmingly singular and hyper trendy location is a city landmark for hanging around aimlessly, meeting friends, having lunch in the sun, escaping the daily grind, outdoor bathing and playing cards in a relaxed atmosphere.


Pâquis 1 bis bis bis

This exceptionally calm, non-smoking and self-service café is open 365 days a year and has a capacity of 160 people, a gorgeous terrace as well as a cosy hut heated by three wood-fired ovens.

The view there is just breathtaking as you can admire the lake, Jet d'Eau, Saint-Pierre Cathedral, Mont-Blanc mountain and old boats sailing away on their daily cruise. Food-wise, the "Buvette Des Bains" serves cheap, colorful, well-balanced (they have received the "Fourchette Verte" label), varied, seasonal and simple, but creative lunches (tomato and mozzarella, penne and tomato sauce, Greek salad, smoked salmon, etc...), but also breakfasts (fresh juices and Swiss specialities like bircher müesli, bread and Cenovis, etc...) and fondue in the evening (it is reputed to be one of the best of Geneva and is famous for being made with Crémant instead of white wine). Not forgetting the friendly and caring team who make the whole experience even more pleasant.


There is no other bistro like this one in the city. W
hen sitting on the exceptionally calm exterior lounge, one feels as if on holiday at the seaside. It is the perfect spot for forgetting the stress of the metropolis and is for sure the best value of Geneva as the portions are immense (I even had difficulties finishing my plate), the food is fresh and the prices are absolutely correct.

If ever you are in the region, then don't forget to visit the "Bains Des Pâquis" as you'll be seduced by everything about them and will encounter something totally new!



Menu:
Breakfast from 8.00-11am CHF 10.-
Lunch from 11.30am CHF 12.-
Fondue from 18.00-21.00pm CHF 20.70
(No credit card payments accepted)

Buvette Des Bains
Bains Des Pâquis
30, Quai Du Mont-Blanc
Tel.: 022 738 16 16
info@buvettedesbains.ch
www.buvettedesbains.ch


68 comments:

  1. Thank you for this review. Buvette has a special place in my heart: it was the first place when I tasted cenovis (I love it) and this is the place where I go to feel I'm somewhere on holiday, probably at the seaside...
    I like going there even just for a coffee or a drink. I totally agree about their food: it's very cheap and really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds lovely! I think the atmosphere alone would make me very happy to eat there. I'm in the same boat. We rarely (I mean RARELY) eat out, that's why I never review any restaurants. Your gorgeous photos make me feel like I'm right there :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks a a great place to spend some relaxed fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you made me miss Geneva so much! I was there just for a short while, but the weather was just as sunny as in your pictures and we cycled along the lake with a big smile on our face. It is such a ridicolously expensive place where to live, but at least bike rental was free :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and such great weather. Looks like a superb spot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'est avec plaisir que je me réchauffe dans tes jolies images, il fait tellement froid chez moi
    Bises.
    Je te souhaite une belle soirée
    Valérie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I wish I were there - I have been and you are right, it is a magical holiday environment in the midst of Genève. Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know this town, But how wonderful it must be to live there.
    And I am repeating myself (I promise I will try to avoid the next time) I am totally fond of your photos.
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some of the best photos I've seen in you blog, or I've come across anywhere for that matter. Really! This restaurant looks like a fun place to be--and what an amazing view!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a feeling like on the bord of a ship. Very reasonable price for this summery dish. kind regards, Robert

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are exquisite, Rosa! I felt as though I was right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What gorgeous views! Sounds like a fantastic spot for lunch or breakfast or fondue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the atmosphere and the gorgeous plates of food pretty much speak for themselves--awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salut Rosa! Food and history go hand in hand at itme, I were much enjoyed your little story bout the baign. I wish I d have known that place when I was in Geneva, but then too,.. I was in a ridiculouse money and job situation. I d go for the Fonue!!! I am melting with it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a lovely spot Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a great place to dine! I like the atmosphere there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful shots- I feel like I took a mini mind vacation reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks delightful! The atnosphere is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. tres rafraichissant !! on se croirait en été !!pierre

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want go there!!! so beautiful
    ciaooo, i love the music of your blog ;)
    vale

    ReplyDelete
  21. It does my heart good to see such beauty, especially anything with water.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you have time to bond with your friend too :)

    Looks like hot and sunny there and everyone is out having fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks really nice, I wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How nice! Your platter looked delicious. Nice place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh what a wonderful spot, I love waterfront dining, it looks like they have an exciting menu. I think you are the only Swiss blogger I follow so it is quite fun to read about the restaurants over there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never seen a huge open air swimming pool as such. What a gorgeous day to spend outdoors :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. º°❤
    Olá, amiga!

    Boa semana!
    Beijinhos. º° ✿
    ♫° Brasil
    ·.♪
    ❤♥

    ReplyDelete
  28. :) what a nice post Rosa... nabil recognized me immediately ;) bcz of my thumb up :)
    we had a lovely time n'est-ce pas ? A refaire !! bises,

    ReplyDelete
  29. Rosa, Reading your posts and looking at your beautiful photos makes me want to hop on the next plane to Europe! You guys really know how to live:) Beautiful!
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  30. A jaunt to Geneva was unfortunately over 25 years ago for me. I remember how comfortable I felt there. Your chosen eatery would be exactly the type of place that would comfort me as well ;o)

    Looking forward to another visit one day.

    Have a great week,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! What a setting. I think I'd be happy just sipping a cup of coffee if I could do so at a place that's that lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your photos are gorgeous! They make me want to jump on a ship and sail to Europe. It's pretty much my dream to travel abroad in university.

    ReplyDelete
  33. what nice review Rosa, look like you had a wonderful and yumm moment!:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a lovely place to share lunch with a friend! Looks like you caught some gorgeous sunshine in your photos. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a lovely place to have a meal and relax.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  36. This place sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a lovely post, enjoyed looking at the pictures..sounds so much fun to relax and enjoy..:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is my kind of place! Right by the water...very relaxing, cool, unpretentious...These photos took me back to summer here in Canada. It's nearly winter now and I miss the sunshine and eating in an outdoor bistro like this one! Ahhh...

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a beautiful place Rosa! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a striking place! The photos look beautiful.
    Who needs restaurant food, when you have the ability to churn out michelin star quality food at home, Rosa.
    The place looks like a perfect holiday must -stop restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I just love these photos. They make me feel like I was there- and on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  42. these are stunning....and I'm sure you'll love the GrandBazaar in IStanbul...that place is just crazy...you can't stop shopping...I'll put some more Istanbul photos for you....and check out the Bozcaada ( an island in the Marmara Sea ) pictures under the label GEZI NOTLARI ( my trips )....I love this photo sharing ....:D

    ReplyDelete
  43. Quel temps! J'ai l'impression d'être en vacances en lisant ton billet.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Je connais bien le pourtour du Lac Léman, tu me donnes l'impression d'y être. merci tout plein pour ce voyage immobile!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Cet endroit est magnifique et t'es photos .. j'adore! :)
    Bise

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow, your pictures look great! I like how you have done the captions on them.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I wish I were in the area because I would love to have lunch at this lovely bistro with you, Rosa! The food and setting both look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Risa,
    Yes, with the crisis installed, I don't go out for dinner very often either but i do like to host dinner parties for friends and so we can gather without spending fortunes in restaurants, specially the posh ones but I admit that i really like to go out even if just for a beer or a coffee, just to have a different programme and not being slaving in the kitchen all the time... :))).
    Cheers for your sharing this amazing text and pictures and hope you have a fantastic week,
    Lia.

    ReplyDelete
  49. WOW. I just found your blog and your photography is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great review rosa!! Love th pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Rosa, your wonderful photos remind me of one of my hangouts in Cuba. A restaurant within walking distance from a favorite, and rather isolated, beach, where I would spend almost every weekend. Memories from a century ago, it seems.

    In any case, I would've loved being there. And I certainly would have helped you finish everything on your plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks for this interesting review. Pure bliss and plenty of relaxation in your gorgeous restaurant. Great place and great views!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  53. wow...fantastic post..love your presentation n awesome cliks dear..;)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  54. Great post and as usual the photographs are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  55. How lucky you are to have a great lunch with such a wonderful view.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Lovely food and open atmosphere!? Count me in! Well, if I were your neighbor geographically... :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  57. Beautiful photos and what a lovely place. I also don´t go out frecuently for dinner; here in Spain we have a very serius economics problems and I belive for a long time.

    Cheers

    Marimi

    ReplyDelete
  58. Quisiera estar en ese bello lugar y servirme éste exquisito plato,excelente post,abrazos grandes hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I'm impressed by the place. Wished we had a place like that around here. I think I would visit often. Magnifiques pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  60. wow. this makes me miss summer so much.
    lately we've been having spring like weather but the sun doesn't come out that much. i miss the sun; i swear i need the suns rays to recharge me.
    you were lucky to enjoy a day like that on the boat. good for you! gorgeous photos too!!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Oh wow, what yummy food! I want to go!

    And how awesome is that pool??!!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Absolutely exquisite photography. The location looks amazing. Glad you were able to get out and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  63. les photos sont superbes ça donne envie de se retrouver en été !

    ReplyDelete
  64. Lovely! I have in mind to visit Geneva sooner than later, after all it's so close it would be stupid not to... maybe I'll wait for the summer, though, I'd love to eat outside at this cafè.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Breath-taking, Rosa! What a beautiful place... I can't stop looking every single picture. Gorgeous shots! And it seems that you had a wonderful time with your friend.I love those relaxing friendly moments :) Some day I'll visit that café!

    HUGS <3

    ReplyDelete
  66. Wow, what great photos! Glad you got a chance to get out to eat, Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  67. how gorgeous is this place Rosa! and apparently still affordable (which is very important nowadays). I love how well you captured the relaxed ambiance and that gorgeous surrounding.

    Oh that photo of the plat du jour. Mon Dieu!..

    ReplyDelete