Friday, January 8, 2010

FOIE GRAS TERRINE - TERRINE DE FOIE GRAS

I can quite understand if you might be put off by the thought of eating foie gras (again) after having feasted over the holidays as if there would be no tomorrow, yet I really want to share with you this wonderful recipe I found on François-Xavier's blog and which I made for New Year's eve...

Foie gras is something I have discovered (taste-wise) only very lately.
At first, I liked the taste of it, but the texture made me feel a little uneasy, because I found it had an unpleasant feel in the mouth. As it is an aquired taste, I got to really understand fully that unique speciality and fell madly in love with it. Now, I love this gourmet treat and cannot imagine not having any foie gras for Christmas, New year or Easter.

I particularly love my foie gras to be pan fried a few seconds only on each side and served with balsamic vinegar, but I also enjoy making terrines with that luxurious offal and serving it with homemade toasted bread and a sweet and sour jam (Vin Santo jam) or sauce (spicy cranberry sauce). It is just simply heavenly!

Well, last year, I stumbled upon a recipe for "Foie Gras Terrine"
on the gorgeous as well as instructive blog named "FX Cuisine". Ever since I discovered it there, I have refused to use any other terrine recipe as this one really rocks and is easy to make.

The roasted nuts blend perfectly well with the sweetness of the liver and the whisky adds a little structure to the whole, thus giving it more character. Lovely!

~ Foie Gras Terrine ~
Recipe by François-Xavier (FX) at "FX Cuisine" (Switzerland) and adapted by Rosa @ Rosa's Yummy Yums 2010.

Makes one terrine.

Ingredients:
1 Whole duck or goose fresh foie gras (uncooked)
30g Dried apricots
13g Almonds, roasted
13g Hazelnuts, roasted
13g Pistachios

Himalaya pink salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
A small glass of whiskey

Method:
1. Wait until the liver is at 18° C (65°F) temperature (measured with a probe inside the liver), warm your knife blade and seperate the two lobes, then cut each lobe in two. Remove the veins.

2. Soak in cold water for 2 hours.
3. Meanwhile chop the dried fruits and nuts and soak them in the whiskey.
4. After two hours, drain the water and cover the bottom a
nd sides of a terrine dish with 2/3 of the foie gras. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Fill the center with the dried fruits and nuts, and cover with the remaining foie gras. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Place the terrine on a plate in a larger ovenproof dish filled with water and bake for 30-40 minutes at very low temperature, between 60°C to 100°C (140° to 210°F).
7. Remove the rendered fat from the terrine and
set it aside. Let the terrine cool.
8. Cover the liver with foil and a very flat weight and place in the fri
dge for 2 hours.
9. When the terrine has set, remove the weight and foil and melt the rendered fat on top to protect the terrine from turning rancid.

Remarks:
Leave in the fridge for about 24 hours before serving.

Serving suggestion:
Serve with sea salt, toasted brioche bread, sourdough bread or pai
n d'épice (see bread recipes).

There is a great video tutorial to bee seen on FX Cuisine (Switzerland).

****************

~ Terrine De Foie Gras ~
Recette par François-Xavier (FX) de "FX Cuisine" (Suisse) et adaptée par Rosa @ Rosa's Yummy Yums 2010.

Ingrédients:
1 Lobe de foie gras de canard ou d'oie (frais)
30g d'Abricots séchés
13g d'Amandes, torréfiées
13g de Noisette, torréfiées
13g de Pistaches

Sel rose de l'Himalaya, à volonté
Poivre noir fraîchement moulu, à volonté
Un petit verre de whisky

Méthode:
1. Sortir le foie gras du frigo et attendre qu'il atteigne les 18° C afin de commencer à le déveiner en utilisant un couteau dont la lame a été trompée dans l'eau chaude (méthode).
2. Reconstituer le lobe et le déposer dans de l'eau froide et le laisser tremper pendant 2 heures.
3. Pendant ce temps, hacher les abricots et noix, puis les mettre à tremper dans le whisky.
4. Après deux heures, retirer le foie de l'eau et placer les 2/3 du lobe dans le plat. Poivrer et saler à volonté.

5. Répartir avec les fruits secs sur le foie gras et couvrir avec le reste du foie gras. Poivrer et saler à volonté.
6. Mettre la terrine dans un bain-marie et cuire pendant 30-40 minutes à basse température (60°C to 100°C).
7. Retirer la graisse de la terrine du four et la mettre de côté. Laisser refroidir la terrine.
8. Couvrir la terrine avec du film plastique, puis déposer un poids plat sur la terrine et mettre au frigo pour 2 heures.

9. Quand la terrine se sera solidifiée, enlever le poids, faire fondre la graisse et recouvrir la terrine avec cette graisse afin de la protéger pour qu'elle ne devienne pas rance.

Remarques:
Laissez reposer cette terrine pendant au moins 24 heures au frigo
avant de la servir.

Idées de présentation:
Servir avec du sel de mer, de la
brioche toastée, du pain au levain ou du pain d'épices (voir mes recettes de pain).

Pour plus de précisions, visionner la vidéo de FX Cuisine (Suisse).


61 comments:

  1. Rosa that looks so heavenly !
    Confession - I'm yet a Foie Gras virgin, so hell ya this is tempting me !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The terrine looks wonderful Rosa...foie gras is a really decadent treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh so many of my favorites... your blog, fx cuisine, and foie gras! looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pour du foie gras, je me damne ! J'ai une terrine qui attends au frais de pouvoir être dégustée, mais je sens que je ne vais pas résister longtemps pour essayer la tienne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Même après les fêtes, ton foie gras est terriblement tentant Rosa surtout avec du Whisky.
    Bon week-end

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very very impressive indeed!!!!
    would love for this to emerge from our kitchens some day too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very delicious and gorgeous!I'd love to make it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed! It's the food for the soul. Very impressive Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your foie gras looks delicious and the terrine is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soudns so decadent! I've never enjoyed a dish like this but hope to soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superbe ce foie gras et quel délice avec ses fruits secs.
    Bisous et bon WE

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excellent combination of flavors Rosa foie gras, nuts and a whisky hint, totally gorgeous :)

    All the best,

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rosa, I've been trying to get up the nerve to eat foie gras.
    So far, I've tried every animal that tried to eat me first, and some of their organs. So I know I will have a taste of foie gras before I keel over.

    Btw, it would be impossible to be put off by this recipe, or your beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Rosa, this one is a real masterpiece! Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen foie gras look so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What is the weight of a fresh foie gras ?
    ein tolles Rezept, ich liebe Gänseleber, einmal im Jahr muss es sein. Liebe Grüsse.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, the foie gras terrine sounds incredible with dried apricots and nuts! Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Meilleurs voeux 2010 tout d'abord.
    Ta terrine est superbe je vais m'empresser de l'essayer
    Hervé (lesateliersdhys)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow this looks amazing! Love apricots and nuts added.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is certainly a gourmet dish with so lovely flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. my friend looks wonderful and delicious :)
    i love nuts! (and chocolate haha :D)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a dish with perfect balance! I'll have to save it for my next festive occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  23. faut que j 'aille voir ce site !! merci pour ton aide précieuse !! salut rosa ! Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  24. LAMIACUCCINA: A fresh foie gras weighs around 400-500g.... Danke!

    ReplyDelete
  25. malgré que les fêtes soient finies, ça donne envie!
    bisous

    ReplyDelete
  26. Elle est terrible cette terrine !
    Moi le foie gras ca me manque ici !
    Je fais un petit jeu !
    Tu aimes la soupe ?
    Bises d'Athenes

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my rosa, that foie gras is killer delicious and gorgeous to boot. Great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A kind of terrine I have never heard of! Looks extremely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love foie gras, but as with many of the expensive foods I enjoy, the thought of cooking it at home terrifies me. Perhaps this should be a interesting fear to overcome this year... starting with this terrine.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Foie Gras too and this terrine looks lovely. Only thing is after seeing some horror websites on how some (not all) Foie Gras is 'created', I'm a bit off it. Anyway, its so expensive too so its a good reason to stay away... but this does look so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have always wanted to try it. I hear it goes beautifully with Icewine - too bad we don't live closer!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't think I could say no to a January foie gras...January 2010 only comes once!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mmm!! Une recette qui me fais envie;)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've never cooked or worked with foie gras, but I want to try! Your terrine looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Salut Rosa
    super interesssant article! en general, je prefere deguster le foie gras, mais je n'ai pas trop envie de le cuisiner; de toute façon, il est difficile a trouver au Texas!
    j'offre des produits du Liban sur mon blog, donc passe si ça t'interesse!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  36. sound delicious!! it is for sure food for the soul!! hehe :)
    cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Originale cette recette de foie gras, j'aimerai beaucoup y goûter. Bises

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just need some toasted brioche, and I would be in total heaven with this.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Je mets ta recette sur un coin de mon bureau, pour pouvoir la faire très vite ... enfin, dès que j'aurai un peu éliminer la quantité honteuse de foie gras que j'ai ingérée cette année ! ;o))
    Bisous
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  40. I would love to try this is looks fabulous and the ingredients sound extremely tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  41. ..totalement débile!! avec un tit rouge j'adorrre!!!!!!!

    ~nancy xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you so much for (as usual) no letting me down while I was away, Rosa!

    You rock!

    This is my péché mignon: foie gras... someday you and I will meet over a little foie gras and liquorous wine, okay? This concoction of yours sounds totaly divine!

    A happy New Year to you and your family! ...all your heart desires!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I have to say wow! I love foie gras!!! Your terrine sounds and looks so wonderful, matching with dried apricots and nuts sound great match. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Elle est très réussi ta terrine!
    Elle doit etre vraiment délicieuse!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. irrésistible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j'en ai trop envie!!!!!!!!!!
    contente de te retrouver après ma longue absence, félicitation pour ton cadeau de noël je suis sur que tu en feras bon usage
    bises et bonne année

    ReplyDelete
  46. il me plait trop ton foie gras avec ses fruits secs !

    ReplyDelete
  47. Yummy ! Ta recette est terrible ! Et les photos sont tout simplement sublimissimes!

    ReplyDelete
  48. couleurs ,parfums, originalité du grand art bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Bonjour Rosa

    Ton foie gras est très tentant. Je salive devant tes magnifiques photos

    Bonne journée

    Ginette xx

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow! Wow, Rosa, Wow! Luxurious! Beautiful! What perfect flavors you have blended so beautifully with the foie gras. You are too talented!

    ReplyDelete
  51. this looks awesome and delicious...Yummy
    beautiful photos ROSA thanks for sharing a great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love foie gras (altought I feel SO guilty when eating it).

    Last year we went to visit my brother in law who happens to works for a big foie gras factory (he lives in Mont de Marsan). One of the things I enjoyed most was eating foie gras all day paired with their lovely local wine (which I don't recall the name now!!).

    Your foie gras terrine looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  53. This recipe is amaZing... all the best things in one place... thanks so much for sharing... and the great music!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I've been staring at this post for quite some time now and finally got to it! Interesting that you add balsamic vinegar to your foie gras...It'd never occur to me! Your terrine looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  55. J'aime beaucoup l'idée d'intégrer des fruits secs dans le foie gras, très très appétissant Rosa ! Bonne semaine à toi :)

    ReplyDelete