Sunday, March 27, 2011

MERINGUE COFFEE CAKE - THE DARING BAKERS

dk-group-1
Where have the last weeks gone? Is it possible that April is knocking on our door and that spring has already arrived?! The end of the month is nearing again, yet it feels as if I baked my last Daring Bakers challenge yesterday and not four weeks ago. I have the impression that I'm perpetuously running after time and can never fully take pleasure in what I'm doing because I can't even enjoy the present moment to the fullest and constantly have to project myself in the future...

Anyway, when I discovered the new DB recipe and found out that two of my favorite foodblogger friends had chosen it I was really thrilled and was looking forward to getting my robust Kitchen Aid working as it sounded very promising! The March 2011 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Ria of "Ria’s Collection" and Jamie of "Life’s a Feast" who challenged us to bake a yeasted "Meringue Coffee Cake".

Meringue Coffee Cake Picnik collage 1 bis
Being somebody with a strong penchant for pastries and anything bready, yeast risen coffee cakes represent the summum of pâtisserie bliss for me. I cannot resist such wonderful treats as they are extremely addictive and dreamlike. As a matter of fact, once I start eating one of those baked goodies you can be sure that I'll finish it in a flash and will not leave it to dry on the countertop (a blasphemy). If you want to make me happy, then consider baking or offering me a yummy rich bread (Panettone, Kougelhopf, Danish Pastries, Stollen, etc...). That'll immediately bring a smile to my lips and improve my mood. There is something so perfect, soothing and comforting about those soul-uplifting bakery items...

Well, speaking of droolworthy delicacies, I must make a confession regarding that subject. Those of you who have been following my blog Rosa's Yummy Yums since a while might be aware that I am an atypical and unique individual who separates herself from the flock, likes being different from the others, loathes what is mainstream, so-called trendy and boringly conventional. In this way, some of my wildest dreams are a far cry from other people's dreams. Mine are mostly food-oriented and say a lot about my enthusiasm for the culinary world as well as my attachment to all things gourmet.

My fantasies are extravagant and rarely transposable into the real world. They are like scenes out of one of Roald Dahl's burlesque, trippy, strange and delirious children's books. For example, I love to imagine that I am in one of the most fantastic, immense and amazing bakeries that can possibly exist, and a bit like the little boy Charlie Bucket in "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory" (minus the eccentric Willy Wonka and his Oompa Loompas) I am free to wander alone around the laboratory as well as the store and gobble anything I fancy. This not being reality, I would have the capacity to swallow as many creamy entremets, flaky croissants, warm pains au chocolat, melt-in-the-mouth Danish pastries, deliciously savory canapés, flavorful pork pate, luxurious ham croissants, heavenly éclairs, fruitilicious tartlets, comforting pies, exquisite cakes, fragrant breads, toothsome candies and exquisite chocolates as I wish. The ultimate orgy! Just thinking about it makes me drool incontrolably and puts me in a state of trance.

You might think that I've gone totally bonkers and lost my mind, but while som
e of you wish to own a luxury car, to possess jewels worth a fortune, to be a star in Holywood or to buy designer clothes (like any other woman I love clothes and jewels, but I could never spend a fortune on them) I prefer to daydream about having the opportunity to go on a quest for rare, gourmet and quality ingredients or be lucky enough to taste the most gorgeous dishes and gastronomic creations that this world has to offer.

As you can see I am incredibly passionate about food. Nothing can make me quite as cheerfuly as when I am in my matchbox-sized kitchen buzzing around like a high-spirited bee frolicking effortlessly from one flower to another as if it were a graceful ballarina dancing with incredible lightness and buoyancy. It is a pastime that I cherish as it keeps me sane and balanced...

Bread baking is a particularly healthy activity that can be compared to meditation or yoga. A certain dose of effort has to be put into the task, but method and concentration are also required. Dough needs love, care and attention in order to give good results. If you don't put your heart into the job, there is a big chance that you'll get a mediocre loaf. But, on the contrary, if you are having a blast then the final product will be perfect as it is quite impossible that things will go wrong.

Eventhough life left me a few psychological scars (death of my English grandmother and of my much cherished cat Fridolin, family harrassment, etc...) lately, I still love preparing delectable chows for my friends, boyfriend and myself as this enterprise relieves the tension, makes me feel good and has a positive effect on my soul.

So, although I am still mourning the passing of my granny and kitty, the prospect of putting together a "Meringue Coffee Cake" filled me with joy. I needed to savagely knead some dough in order to evacuated the sadness, stress, anger and frustration that I have been accumulating since the beginning of this year.

This challenge was ideal for take a break from my worries/sorrows as the fabrication of this sweet bread posed no problem and the whole process went smoothly. I got the job done in a relaxed and calm manner. No hysterical
effusions of a distempered brain were to be noticed and I didn't even pronounce the word "bloody hell" once (something very rare).

The recipe was followed to the letter, but as we were permitted to operate a few changes flavor-wise I decided to incorporate some ground tonka bean (not legal in the US) to the dough and to add orange zest to the filling. I also refrigerated my dough overnight and used more cinnamon than instructed.

Oh, what a divine and exhalirating smell filled the apartment while my "Meringue Coffee Cake" was in the oven! Waiting for it to get fully baked and cooled was a real torture. I craved this beautiful, fluffy, moist, spicy, buttery and nutty brioche so much that I started pacing up and down my place like an agitated tiger in a cage. I felt as desperate as a dog having to sit quietly and watch his master having lunch. Terrible.

Thankfully, the evening came soon enough and I was finally able to sample
that droolworthy coffee cake. Biting into this soft, sweet and scrumptious slice of heaven I reached total zenitude and peace of mind...

This post was submitted to Yeastspotting.

Meringue Coffee Cake Picnik collage 4 bis
~ Meringue Coffee Cake ~

Makes 2 round coffee cakes, each approximately 10 inches in diameter.

Preparation time:
10 - 15 minutes preparation of the dough
8 – 10 minutes kneading
45 – 60 minutes first rise
10 – 15 minutes to prepare meringue, roll out, fill and shape dough
An additional 45 – 60 minutes for second rising
Baking time:
Approximately 30 minutes

Equipment required:

Measuring cups for dry ingredients
Measuring cup for liquid
Measuring spoons
Cutting board and sharp knife for chopping nuts & chocolate if using
2 large mixing bowls
1 small mixing bowl
1 medium mixing bowl for beating egg whites, preferably plastic or metal
1 medium saucepan
Electric mixer or stand mixer
Wooden spoon
Rolling pin
Spatula
Clean kitchen scissors or sharp knife
Plastic wrap & clean kitchen towel
Parchment paper
2 medium-sized baking trays (or 1 large if your oven is large enough)
Cooling racks
Serving platter
Vegetable oil to grease bowl

Meringue Coffee Cake 7 bis
Ingredients "For The "Yeast Coffeecake Dough":
4 Cups (600g/1.5 lbs.) Plain flour
1/4 Cup (55g/2 oz.) Grannulated sugar
3/4 Tsp (5g/¼ oz.) salt
1/4 Tsp Ground tonka bean
1 Package (2 ¼ Tsp/7g/less than an ounce) Active dried yeast
3/4 Cup (180ml/6 fl.oz.) Whole milk
1/4 Cup (60ml/2 fl. oz.) Water
1/2 Cup (135g/4.75 oz.) Unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 Large eggs, at room temperature
Ingredients For The "Filling":
1 Cup (110g/4 oz.) Chopped pecans
2 Tbs (30g/1 oz.) Light brown sugar
2 Tsp Ground cinnamon
Zest of one orange
1 Cup (170g/6 oz.) Semisweet chocolate chips or coarsely chopped chocolate
Ingredients "For The Meringue":
3 Large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 Tsp Fine sea salt
1/2 Tsp Pure vanilla extract
1/2 Cup (110g/4 oz.) Grannulated sugar
Ingredients For The "Egg Wash":
1 Egg, beaten
Pearl sugar for sprinkling

Meringue Coffee Cake Picnik collage 2 bis
Method "For The "Yeast Coffeecake Dough":
1.
In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 ½ cups (230g) of the flour, the sugar, salt, tonka and yeast.
2. In a saucepan, combine the milk, water and butter and heat over medium heat until warm and the butter is just melted.
3. With an electric mixe r o n low speed, gradually add the warm liquid to the flour/yeast mixture, beating until well blended. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes.
4. Add the eggs and 1 cup (150g) flour and beat for 2 more minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a dough that holds together.
5. Turn out onto a floured surface (use any of the 1 ½ cups of flour remaining) and knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes until the dough is soft, smooth, sexy and elastic, keeping the work surface floured and adding extra flour as needed.
6. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and let rise until double in bulk, 45 – 60 minutes ( the rising time will depend on the type of yeast you use).
Method For The "Filling":
7. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon, sugar, zest, chocolate chips and nuts for the filling.
Method For The "Meringue":
8. Once the dough has doubled, make the meringue. In a clean mixing bowl (ideally a plastic or metal bowl so the egg whites adhere to the side - they slip on glass - and you don’t end up with liquid remaining in the bottom) beat the egg whites with the salt, first on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to high and continue beating until foamy and opaque.
9. Add the vanilla then start adding the ½ cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time as you beat, until very stiff, glossy peaks form.
Method For "Assemling The Coffeecakes":
10. Line 2 baking/cookie sheets with parchment paper.
11. Punch down the dough and divide in half.
12. On a lightly floured surface, working one piece of the dough at a time (keep the other half of the dough wrapped in plastic), roll out the dough into a 51 x 25.5cm (20 x 10-inch) rectangle. 13. Spread half of the meringue evenly over the rectangle up to about 3/4cm (1/2-inch) from the edges.
14. Sprinkle half of your filling evenly over the meringue.
15. Now, roll up the dough jellyroll style, from the long side.
16. Pinch the seam closed to seal.
17. Very carefully transfer the filled log to one of the lined cookie sheets, seam side down.

Meringue Coffee Cake Picnik collage 3 bis
18. Bring the ends of the log around and seal the ends together, forming a ring, tucking one end into the other and pinching to seal.
19. Using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife (scissors are easier), make cuts along the outside edge at 2.5cm (6.3 inch) intervals (make them as shallow or as deep as desired but don’t be afraid to cut deep into the ring). Repeat with the remaining dough, meringue and fillings.
20. Cover the 2 coffee cakes with plastic wrap or a humid towel and allow them to rise again for 45 to 60 minutes.
21. Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F).
22. Brush the tops of the coffee cakes with the egg wash and sprinkle with pearl sugar.
23. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until risen and golden brown (the dough should sound hollow when tapped).
24. Remove from the oven and slide the parchment paper off the cookie sheets onto the table. Very gently loosen the coffee cakes from the paper with a large spatula and carefully slide the cakes off onto cooling racks.
25. Allow to cool completely.


Remarks:
These are best eaten fresh, the same day or the next day.

Serving suggestions:
Just before serving, dust the tops of the coffee cakes with confectioner’s sugar as well as cocoa powder if using chocolate in the filling (if not using pearl sugar).
Eat for breakfast or afternoon tea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Etant donné que je suis en vacance et que je n'ai pas beaucoup de temps pour bloguer, je n'ai malheureusement pas pu faire une traduction française de ce billet et je m'en excuse auprès de tous mes amis lecteurs et blogueurs francophones!

C'est pourquoi je vous suggère de vous rendre sur le blog mentionné ci-dessous. Vous y trouverez cette recette en version française.

Chez Isa de "Les Gourmandises d'Isa" (Canada)

Meringue Coffee Cake Picnik collage 5 bis

116 comments:

  1. You go to great lengths describing the cake, the smell, the texture etc, its a great build up and at the end you get to eat it. On the other hand we only get to read about it:) You are lucky, you deserve it for all the effort that went into it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That certainly looks irresistible! Gorgeous cake Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosa, I just tasted mine and it is so good! The meringue leaves the center so soft and yummy.

    Great job on the challenge! Time flies, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gorgeous! Wonderful job on the challenge. I only wish I could have a taste! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it's the chows that keep us sane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosa look really delicious and amazing, georgeous pictures, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo Rosa!

    Your meringue cake is perfect! I love the way you incorporated Spring into the photographs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The coffee cake is looking gorgeous Rosa. I am sure it must be an ideal mood lifter for anybody, very nicely baked and presented !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks marvelous Rosa. Truly wonderful yeasted cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful job Rosa! It is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Rosa! I think your dreams are magnificent! So glad you are finding joy in the kitchen.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rosa... Coffee cake looks very pretty... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a completely unique coffee cake! you did such a good job with it, rosa--bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks fantastic,is perfect for my morning coffee!:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Rosa, you do have a special talent. Your meringue cake look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Irresistible indeed! Now I'm curious about the Tonka Bean, intriguing. As always, you did a great job and even better you have reached your peace of mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. C'est un beau challenge que le "Daring Bakers", j'adore voir ce que chacune en tire, c'est toujours très différent... une fois de plus tes superbes photos font vraiment envie! Bises...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, that cake looks wonderful! And those are adorable pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic looking cake! It would be perfect for my breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the look of your cake Rosa! Just beautiful and golden!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely post - making bread really is healing. Looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As always beautiful photos. I´m drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your cake sounds amazing and it turned out perfectly. I'm with you on all the brioches and panattones - yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  24. My dear Rosa, you are right the recipe is fantastic but certainly you made the best of it !!! Send you much love

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a delightful cake! it looks perfect with a cup of steaming tea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW what a delicious looking cake and I love the way you built up the story of your joy of baking especially coffee cakes well done fabulous photographs as always.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tes billets sont toujours aussi passionnants. Bravo, tu as encore relevé le défi.
    Bon dimanche

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your coffee cake looks delicious and so perfectly done. I loved working with the dough and was impressed by how moist the cake was thanks to the meringue layer.

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a beauty! pearl sugar is so crunchy-good. I haven't had it in forever.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The pearl sugar in that egg wash is a great idea for texture. Beautiful coffee cake Rosa. At this point in my life I too am more about memorable ingredients & meals than clothes or "stuff." xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Baking can be so therapeutic, and it sounds like this challenge came around at just the right time for you. Your results look fantastic, as well. I am so curious about tonka beans now! I hope that this process helped ease your mind and soul and that tasting that delicious looking coffee cake helped you enjoy the peace of the process. Wonderful work on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These definitely are eye-catching breads...you're all (daring bakers) making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great job on the challenge and very lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMG that really looks irresistable ..looks great and wonderful finish.. absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I came over from Jungle Frog, first time on your blog :) Your cake looks just gorgeous! So tempting and irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I LOVED reading your post Rosa, and am so glad the challenge got you zentitude and peace. It's absolutely stunning, and I love the flavours in there.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Superbe réalisation qui met en appétit !
    Bisous, Doria

    ReplyDelete
  38. That looks gorgeous! I love the perfect color of your yeasted meringue cake.
    Bread baking is a therapy for me as well and I can relate to what you wrote :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm so sorry about those 2 incidents. I know its not easy and believe me, with time the pain will lessen leaving you with good memories.
    Your coffeecake looks so beautiful. And really like the picture of the doorway.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Totally get your food obsession Rosa.. i tend to dream a lot about props.. hehe

    so sorry about your losses :(( it's hard but agree with Aparna.. the pain dulls slowly over time... HUGS

    Hmm.. wonder why tonka beans are banned in the US.. BAH! now I want it all the more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Rosa, I was visiting your blog and wanted to leave you a comment. First of all, I am sorry about the passing of your grandmother and the loss of your cat. I do value the passion you have for life and the zest you have for food. It is amazing how food is such a part of our life, our events and our feelings. So good job on your blog. As a reader, it's a personal journey with you. I also write a blog. I am from California and I write about Food. About Relationships. And a little more about Food. Sometimes vice cersa. Please visit. And maybe, Follow. If you like.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I know the feeling where you don't appreciate the "now" and are constantly "chasing" time.

    That being said, your coffee cake came out gorgeous and the photos are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've never seen this meringue filled cake before. Sounds very interesting and you did a great job again Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm glad this challenge made you forget about the sad things in your life. Your cake really sounds heavenly and looks amazing! You did a great job Rosa. Love your photos too. They're so light and dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Rosa, we are so alike in so many ways and our dreams and fantasties are identical! This is why I love chatting with you on twitter and why I would love the chance to bake with you. I also use bread and yeast baking as a kind of therapy, it helps me think and focus and I often find solutions to heavy problems while stirring, mixing, kneading. And this yeast coffee cake is one of my favorites. Yours is stunning and I love the flavors and will be trying with the tonka beans! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  46. This looks delicious. I made a sourdough "spezialbrote" with sourdough and chocolate. It is so amazing how wonderful yeast and chocolate go together.

    Every component of this sounds remarkable and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Lesenswerte Gedanken, neben einem essenswerten Kuchen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Très joli, tu sais nous donner l'envie.
    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love the texture and look of your cake Rosa. Perfectly risen and browned, it sure is irresistible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. oooh yay for beautiful spring flowers and a lovely coffee cake!! and nothing wrong with daydreaming about food and baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Such an elegant post.
    An absolute master piece, lovely written.
    Outstanding photos ♥

    ReplyDelete
  52. I am pretty sure it will make a wonderfull tea or coffee time.
    Thank you also for the link to Isa's blog, which is very nice and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  53. Those photos are just beautiful. I love the photo pairing you did for this post, so incredibly talented. The coffeecake sounds delicious, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Beautiful and simply impressive! Well done, Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Baking is very therapeutic Rosa and for your fantasies I think as foodies we can all relate.

    ReplyDelete
  56. As I am running through some cooking blogs looking for interesting photos, I definitely stopped here for awhile. Your photos are wonderful and I'm going to check out more!

    ReplyDelete
  57. You are a true foodie Rosa:) I find baking and cooking very therapeutic too. I like to occupy my mind with things that I would like to bake, rather than worry or think too much about the ills of the world.

    Your recipe looks incredible. I love the ingredients you have chosen to fill it with. I would love to try this:)

    ReplyDelete
  58. The reason I love blogging so dearly is because it gives us a chance to connect with the people we connect best with! I totally get what you mean, food can provide the simplest of comforts. Yet simplicity can go so far. I'm so sorry about your grandmother's death.
    ps- aren't ripped up jeans, an old t-shirt, and a warm apple pie better than shopping for days in designer heals a better way to spend a sunday night anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  59. Really gorgeous especially with that yummy chocolate- pecan filling! Excellent job and excellent pictures!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  60. wow! This is one beautiful and intricate cake! Would love a bite of it with my coffee anyday~

    ReplyDelete
  61. This looks totally awesome - I can't wait to give it a whirl this weekend!

    Also - I don't know if any of your other readers have this issue, but the media player on your blog causes my browser to crash 9 times out of 10 :( Might be my browser, but it's not a problem I've had with any other site...

    ReplyDelete
  62. Beautifully baked, wow thts such a delicious Slice of cake:)

    ReplyDelete
  63. This looks thoroughly my type of sweet treat! Excellent clicks as always!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Love Love LOVE you post !

    I totally love my (also small) kitchen (which is my experimental lab :P ).

    Beautifully written, I could relate to it so much. I also crave for exquisite food not jewellery and other girly possessions !

    I love the photos of the food and outdoors ! They look so much more cheerful and I can really see that the meringue coffee cake has done its job ;)

    ReplyDelete
  65. Elle est splendide Rosa, elle a l'air delicieuse. Je ne regrette qu'une chose, c'est de ne pas etre dans ma cuisine pour me lancer dans cette recette de suite.

    Bises et bonne semaine.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Dreamlike indeed Rosa, the photos are breathtaking..and are those mums or poms (mum tree)? sp?

    ReplyDelete
  67. J'aime beaucoup Rosa et aussi la manière de mettre les photos. Cela donne un côté chaleureux à la recette !

    ReplyDelete
  68. I can see from your post how passionate about food you are and I think that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  69. This is a beauty! Love the pecans in a filling, so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Bien mignonne ta brioche Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Absolutely gorgeous, textbook perfect, coffee cake wreath, Rosa! Then again, you're so talented, I couldn't imagine it being any less :) Amazing photos too 'as always' LOL

    ReplyDelete
  72. Irresistible cake indeed..love the way you hv incorporated spring in those pics..simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  73. ooh yes I would love a big slice of that with my morning cup please! This looks like very good therapy too and the results must have been delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  74. the cake and the other pictures on your blog are delightful!
    I would like to invite you to check out the Crazy for Cakes event happening on my blog and see if you would be interested in sending this beauty as an entry - Look forward and cheers :) Priya
    http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/02/announcing-second-guest-event.html

    ReplyDelete
  75. PS: I would've loved to be your 400th follower, but am settling for 399 :)

    ReplyDelete
  76. Hey Rosa,
    I have wanted to introduce myself for sometime, I am Bobbie from bobbiesbakingblog and joined the DB in Nov 2010.
    Your blog is wonderful and I love the photographs from the coffee cake challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  77. I have a fantasy about being able to cook in a huge kitchen with lots of of big, open work surfaces and never having to clean it! Your coffee cake looks fantastic. The pearl sugar on is great!

    ReplyDelete
  78. You always end up with beautiful results and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Completely new to me!! Thanks for showing sth new!

    ReplyDelete
  80. Oh Rosa so beautifully written. I would like a slice of that cake and some tea right now!

    ReplyDelete
  81. beautifully written, i am also partial to great ingirdients then clothes and material items, a lovely daring bakers submission..

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  82. Wow! I've just discovered your blog and I am blown away. Your photos are beautiful - as well as your cake for this months challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  83. Magnifiquement réalisé. Il me reste la fève Tonka à découvrir.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Heureusement je lis l'anglais pour succomber à ta recette! les photos sont sublimes et alléchantes!! bises et merci pour ton passage!

    ReplyDelete
  85. gorgeous photos! that coffee cake looks incredible.:)

    ReplyDelete
  86. Je ne connais pas cette recette, mais le résultat est superbe et met en appétit.

    ReplyDelete
  87. a tasty-looking coffee cake.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Absolutely yummy!! I always love you picture ;)

    ReplyDelete
  89. how lovely! and that door on the left is captivating. i love doors from around the world. nice touch with the tonka bean (which I've had in Trinidad and brought some back but didn't use).

    ReplyDelete
  90. Rosa, your dreams sound fantastic and I agree it is no fun following trends or being mainstream. You prove with every post your creativity and unique style. Your meringue looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  91. How absolutely beautiful!! Yum!

    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  92. Ours were gone in a flash too. Yours is the fluffiest DB coffee cake I've seen. Well done! I'll have to ponder on the Charlie in the Bakery idea - I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  93. If only a big slice of this would magically appear tomorrow when I have my coffee in the morning. If only! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  94. Loved your post. The cake is truly irresistible. Beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  95. It's so lovely to feel your enthusiasm and love of food coming through in your writing. We have many things in common as I also love Roald Dahl stories and would never want to have an expensive car, a luxury flat or designer clothes but if I could buy all the wonderful food and ingredients I wanted, how lovely that would be. Your challenges get more and more stunning, such an exquisite cake and I love the pearl sugar on top.

    ReplyDelete
  96. this looks insanely good. amazing photos as per usual.

    ReplyDelete
  97. Pour une fille en vacances, tu nous gâtes ma belle Rosa!! De toute beauté comme toujours:)

    Bo nombril de semaine xx

    ReplyDelete
  98. simply beautiful not only delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  99. I know! Can't believe it's almost April. Beautiful pictures and the bread looks mighty good!

    ReplyDelete
  100. What a lovely post, Rosa! One of your best. I love your enthusiasm for baking and cooking...and yes, it does make our problems disappear. For a while, anyway.
    You did a marvelous job with this challenge!
    I adore Roald Dahl as well!

    ReplyDelete
  101. Perfect coffee cake! Definitely worth the try =) The pecans, cinnamon and citrus elements with chocolate seem like a wonderful combination of flavors. All you need now is a nice cup of hot chai!

    ReplyDelete
  102. What a beautiful coffee cake, Rosa! Your other photos of flowers contribute so nicely to this post too.

    ReplyDelete
  103. I can imagine the aroma that filled your home as this beautiful cake baked in your oven...oh to have a piece now

    ReplyDelete
  104. I have box of pearl sugar just waiting to be used. Thanks for sharing-- lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  105. Je suis sous le charme et avec tes photos, vraiment pas besoin de traduction pour savoir que c'est un délice!
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  106. DB post time is also so tough when you're not a DB yourself. I'm tempted by hundreds of renditions of these amazing treats and this one is no different. Can you mail me a slice, perhaps? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  107. Ta recette est surprenante, j'aurais bien aimé goûter.

    ReplyDelete
  108. These look better than any store bought bread or from a facy bakery ! you're a PRO when it comes to baking

    ReplyDelete
  109. Ist sehr toll geworden! Sieht unglaublich lecker aus.

    ReplyDelete
  110. When I got glimpse of this beautiful post...I quickly realized that I had somehow missed your last baker's challenge...oops.

    Rosa, as usual, you manage to be in the top 5 of the most talented that join this challenge...you've excelled every time.

    I also love baking because I certainly feel as you feel about its therapeutic soothing nature.

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete