A few days ago, I wanted to make the highly popular Aussie treat named "Lamingtons", but I did not know which recipe to choose as I have a few different ones underhand... Finally, I decided to make the lamington recipe I made during my highschool time...
This lamington recipe is not as complicated to prepare as the other ones I have in my diverse papers and books, but the end result is also very satisfying!
They are maybe humble little "Lamingtons" and maybe not the luxury version you'd bake for a very special event, but they are nonetheless always very successful and gratifying...
This recipe makes fluffy and moist "Lamingtons" which will rejoice anyone with a passionate love for icing and an addiction to coconut.
It is said that the "Lamingtons" got named after a popular governor of Queensland in Australia (1896-1901), Baron Lamington, but there are a few theories concerning the origin of those cakes...
125g Unsalted butter
140g Castor sugar
1 Tsp Liquid vanilla
2 Eggs (~50g)
250g Plain white flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
A pinch salt
300g Icing sugar
3 Tbs Cocoa powder
9-10 Tbs Hot water
160g Grated coconut
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. In a bowl, cream the butter, liquid vanilla and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add one egg after another and continuously beat until combined.
4. Stir in the sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) and the milk, alternately.
5. Pour the batter in a greased 27 X 18 cm pan.
6. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a thin skewer comes out clean from the thickest part of the cake.
7. Once the cake is cool, cut into squares.
8. Mix the icing sugar with the cocoa.
9. Add, little by little, the hot water and beat until the icing is smooth and liquid.
10. With the help of two forks, dip each piece/square in the icing.
11. Then, toss in the grated coconut.
12. Stand on a wire rack to set.
Don't beat the cake batter!
If you want, you can dip the cake into the cocoa icing the day after it's baking.
To eat without moderation!!!
(Pinnacles -Pic by Tan Yilmaz www.trekearth.com)