Friday, March 8, 2013

WAITING FOR SPRING... HONEYED TAPIOCA AND ORANGE CURD PUDDINGS - PUDDINGS DE TAPIOCA AU MIEL ET À L'ORANGE CURD

Tapioca Verrine 8 7 bis
To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring.
- George Santayana
If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.
- Anne Bradstreet
Being someone who tends to feel easily stressed out about nothing and overwhelmed by upsetting situations, I guess it will not come as a revelation if I told you that, very much like cats, I am a creature of habit with little taste for radical or excessive change. Hence, I need stability and don't mind repetitiveness as it gives me a sense of comfort, security and it lets me achieve a certain control over life and helps me focus on what is important.

Of course, adding small amounts of variation to our routine isn't all that bad as it forces us to explore different horizons, take risks and open up to new experiences. Those unforseen events add some contrasting spice to our existence and are a welcome wake-up call when things are getting far too cozy and dangerously monotonous. At the end, it's all a question of finding the right balance between solacing permanence and refreshing novelty - too much of one or the other can be harmful to us.

Well, the same can be said about seasons. Imagine how insipid, boring and sad our days would be without weather fluctations, the perpetual transition of cycles and earth's ever-permutating rhythms. Although, each of us always finds a reason to moan about spring, summer, autumn or winter, I'm pretty sure we'd all go ballistic and suffer from severe depression if it would be Disney-like sunny and warm all the time or if our table was graced week after week with the same vegetables and fruits. Time would seem endless and we'd miss out on the best nature has to offer: the constant and spellbinding metamorphosis of our environment. Simply inconceivable for a lover of climate and agricultural variety like me.

This year, October, November, December, January and Febraury have been wonderfully wintry and extremely generous in snow. I've had a blast walking through the frosty, white and surreal looking countryside surrounding Geneva and I've thouroughly enjoyed staying at home doing some cocooning, but lately, I have grown tired of Jack Frost's icy embrace and now dream of admiring the verdant green scenery during my weekly strolls and fantasize about sitting on the balcony, sipping on a cup of coffee while listening to the mad chirp of sparrows. Besides, I can hardly wait to eat ramsons/ramps, fresh garlic, asparagus, baby carrots, fava beans, rhubarb and strawberries again.

Now that February is behind us and the vernal equinox is approaching, excitement is in the air and people as well as animals are starting to become fidgety. After a long period of cold and dullness, everybody is ready to welcome spring - our savior - with open arms and there's not one living soul who isn't relieved to finally be able to soon turn the page on all the gloom and inclemency of the last months.  

Aaahhh, there's nothing quite like getting caressed by the soft rays of the Easter sun, squinting against the bold late March light, relishing the warm April breeze, experiencing a slight gust of grassy air, being deafened by the enthusiastic carol of the birds and blinded by the flowers in bloom!

So while impatiently waiting for the magical transition to take place and heavy rain replaces snow as Switzerland's landscapes turn brown, I keep myself busy and sane with cooking activities. Within the walls of my humble, yet snug kitchen numerous heartwarming delicacies are created and nothing can affect me - not even the gloom outside; a little corner of paradise and epicurean lair where I can forget about the greyness of the skies above, the ugliness of certain people and leave my fears, worries as well as troubles behind...

Last Saturday, after visiting my favorite Asian supermarkets (Asia Store & Thu Hang in Pâquis, Geneva - for addresses check out this link) and buying a shipload of food (noodles, condiments, sauces, spices, tofu, pastries, etc...), I decided to revisit a childhood classic and prepare a healthy dessert with the tapioca pearls I purchased there and some leftover Tarocco oranges I had in my fruit basket. The result was incredibly pleasing and even P. loved my "Tapioca And Orange Curd Puddings" despite his aversion to this cassava speciality and its weirdly chewy texture.

Those elegant Maroccan flavored verrines are delightfully refreshing, voluptuously creamy, exquisitely fragrant, zestfully citrusy and magnificently balanced with the slight sharpness of the orange curd. An exceptionally good, refined and gluten-free treat which will rejoice tapiocaphiles and tapiocaphobics alike!
 
Tapioca Verrine 4 2 bis
Honeyed Tapioca And Orange Curd Puddings
Recipe by Rosa Mayland, March 2013.

Makes 6 verrines.

Ingredients For The "Orange Curd":
220ml Freshly squeezed orange juice (Tarocco)
1 Tbs Lemon juice
110g Castor sugar
2 Eggs
1 Tbs Cornflour
2 Tbs Unsalted butter
Ingredients For The "Tapioca Pudding":
3/4 Cup (120g) Small pearl tapioca
1 3/4 Cups (420ml) Milk
1/2 Cup (120ml) Water
1/3 Cup (115g) Light runny honey
1 Tsp Orange blossom water (optional) or pure vanilla extract

Method For The "Orange Curd":
1. In a medium pan, combine all the ingredients together.
2. Put over medium heat and stir constantly until the mixture thickens (custard-like consistency).
3. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter.
4. Pour equal quantities of the curd into the verrines and let cool while you prepare the tapioca.



Method For The "Tapioca Pudding":
5. In a large saucepan, combine the tapioca, milk, honey and orange blossom water (or vanilla extract) over medium high heat.
6. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
7. Let the mixture cook until the tapioca looks translucent and the pearls are chewy in texture, about 20-30 minutes.
8. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally and divide in between the verrines with the orange curd. Refrigerate the puddings.
9. Just before serving, top with chopped nuts or decorative sugar.

Remarks:
You can also make orange curd with Moro or Navel oranges or just replace the orange curd by any other curd of your choice (lemon, rhubarb, strawberry, raspberry, etc...).
If you want your tapioca puddings to be a little richer, then replace the water by single or double cream.

Serving suggestions:
Serve as dessert or as afternoon treat with some jasmine tea.

Tapioca Verrine 3 7 bis
Puddings De Tapioca Au Miel Et À l'Orange Curd
Recette par Rosa Mayland, Mars 2013.
 

Pour 6 verrines.

Ingrédients Pour "l'Orange Curd":

220ml de Jus d'orange (Tarocco) fraîchement pressé

1 CS de Jus de citron
110g Sucre cristallisé
2 Oeufs
1 CS de Maïzena
2 CS de Beurre non-salé

Ingrédients Pour Le "Pudding De Tapioca":
120g (3/4 tasse) de Tapioca (perles du Japon)
420ml de Lait
120ml d'Eau
115g de Miel clair liquide
1 CC d'Eau de fleur d'oranger (facultatif) ou d'extrait de vanille pure

Méthode
Pour "l'Orange Curd":
1. Dans une casserole moyenne, mélanger tous les ingrédients ensemble.
2. Faire chauffer à feu moyen et remuer constamment jusqu'à ce que le mélange épaississe (il doit avoir la consistance d'un custard).
3. Retirer du feu et incorporer le beurre.
4. Verser le curd (en quantités égales) dans le fond des verrines et laisser refroidir pendant que vous préparez le pudding.


Tapioca Verrine 7 9 bis
Méthode Pour Le "Pudding De Tapioca":
5. Dans une grande casserole, mélanger ensemble le tapioca, le lait, le miel et l'eau de fleur d'oranger (ou la vanille), puis faire chauffer à feu moyennement élevé.
6. Porter à ébullition et réduire la température.
7. Faire cuire à feu doux jusqu'à ce que le tapioca soit translucide et que les perles soient tendre, pendant environ 20-30 minutes.
8. Laisser refroidir à la température ambiante, en remuant de temps en temps et verser dans les verrines (sur l'orange curd et en quantités égales). Réfrigérer les puddings.

9. Juste avant de servir, garnir de noix hachées ou de sucre décoratif.

Remarques:
Vous pouvez également fabriquer votre orange curd avec des oranges Moro ou Navel, ou bien tout simplement remplacer l'orange curd par le curd de votre choix (citron, rhubarbe, fraise, framboise, etc ..).
Si vous voulez que votre pudding au tapioca soit un peu plus riche, remplacez l'eau par de la crème légère ou double.

Idée de présentation:
Servir pour le dessert ou à l'heure du goûter avec du thé au jasmin.

Tapioca Verrine 5 11 bis

98 comments:

  1. Très appétissant... les photos sont sublimes! Bon weekend...
    Bises
    Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous colour..Rosa. The pudding must be very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree; the power is in the kitchen! C'est là qu'on fabrique la matière et le rêve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post...it was just what I needed today. Your pudding is a delight to the eyes like your words in this post. After another 8 inches of heavy wet snow over night, I am so looking forward to the beauty of spring. I used to live in Florida where there really isn't much of a seasonal change. I love the four seasons here in New England...but I would like it to stop snowing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beau... Gourmand .... Un peu régressif... Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are beautiful! like little rays of sunshine!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  7. "busy and sane with cooking activities". Das gefällt mir auch !

    amazing what you can make with tapioca. Liebe Grüsse, Robert

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!!!!
    I am loving the colors here.... I Tapioca... This must be luscious!
    Beautfiul Pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever seen tapioca look this beautiful. Love the orange curd with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it the pudding in your black&white photo in your previous post, which made me curious about the pearl like things? This is a unique dessert! Never heard of tapioca pearls before, they look lovely! The combination of orange curd and pudding sounds yummy! BTW love that quote saying if we had no winter, the spring wouldn't be so pleasant! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful :) I just love the color of the pudding. I Love Tapoica.. Will try for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. D'habitude, je mange du tapioca avec un consommé ou un bouillon de légumes. Cette version acidulée est bien tentante.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! This soft, beautiful pudding would have been just what I needed whilst recovering from a painful tooth extraction. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superbe photo, comme toujours... <3
    La recette est appétissante!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm missing winter this year. I'm having one right now in San Francisco, but to be honest, it's more spring than winter. Lovely photos and beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful layers, the tapioca pearls are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I could eat this now! Looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is stunning love the textures and flavors and your right we need to enjoy the season we are in

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the textures here. We grew up eating tapioca pudding! So yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love tapioca Rosa. As a matter of fact Marion and I were just memorializing the days of tapioca from our youth.

    I can't imagine not cultivating through the seasons in all their turmoil and peace. You have spoken my thoughts exactly.

    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to show Marion!

    ReplyDelete
  21. never thought the humble tapioca that I so took for granted growing up would look this good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bien frais....il me fait terriblement envie là ! et c'est de saison...on fonce !
    bises Rosa, Bon weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tapioca is so akin to our cuisine, never expected it would look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think that with the hint of Spring in the air our senses and imagination are renewed. There is so much to inspire us in the upcoming seasons to fill our blogs with tasty treats like this one. A visit to the Asian market is sure to inspire as well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This dessert is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful Rosa! I adore tapioca - I bought some this morning to make your recipe! yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The last two months have been challenging to say the least...however, hearing the birds chirp has brought a little spring to my step...thank goodness for change. ;o)

    Lovely dessert Rosa...so elegant.

    Have a great weekend,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those layers are simply amazing! Beautiful colours! I love it, thanks for sharing Rosa and have a nice weekend. Bises xx
    Cheers
    Mamat

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a beautiful recipe, Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a very fine looking dessert! Just for special occasions!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Always beautiful, always elegant, always delightful! A lovely dessert dearest Rosa. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend :)

    HUGS <3

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your waiting your spring, here my fall! These puddings are so special - I've never tried something similar, they look great :)

    All the best,

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  33. Superbe dessert tout frais et bien coloré!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow...this is the second recipe I saw this week that I had made a variation of earlier in the week. Delicious photos.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really look forward to the new seasons changing and the new food available although my favourite seasons are the warmer ones!

    ReplyDelete
  36. ummmmmhhh deliziosi bicchierini che annunciano l'arrivo della primavera!!!

    très bonne dimanche Rosa!

    bz

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such pretty photos, Rosa, and the tapioca is very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I haven't had tapioca in years! Which is weird, because I do like it. And you've put together a first-class recipe. I must admit I'm looking forward to spring. But then I was looking forward to fall and winter at the end of summer! I do like change in my seasons - it keeps one fresher and sharper, I'm convinced. Great photos (as usual!).

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yum this look gorgeous, I really love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such an elegant dessert. Looks easy to prepare too which is always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  41. There's something delightfully old-fashioned about tapioca. But you've glammed it up considerably. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love tapioca pearls Rosa! There is something about their chewy texture which drives me crazy (in a good way!). Beautiful recipe ans lovely pics! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  43. We called this sago and usually cook in our Chinese dessert like red or green bean soup :D

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a beautiful post Rosa. Lovely words and gorgeous photos as always. I love those little silver balls and the brilliant colour of the orange curd.

    We are having a heat wave in Melbourne at the moment and while I do love the summer, I am now craving some cooler days. A change is as good as a holiday, isn't that how it goes?

    ReplyDelete
  45. It's like sunshine in a cup ! An invitation to the warmer days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  46. ROSENOISETTE: Merci! Je n'arrive pas à commenter sur ton blog... J'essaie depusi des semaines. Bises.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Je ne suis vraiment pas fan de tapioca. Mais de tes photos, oui!

    Bises et bonne semaine.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love this reminder that you have to experience winter to truly appreciate spring! This dessert is the perfect way to transition into the new season.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi Rosa,
    Its always great to see your exciting recipes. And this one is just looking Amazing & Awesome!!!!!!!!!
    I am so tempted to try it pretty soon. Have a wonderful week ahead. Thanks for sharing awesome recipes.
    Best Regards, Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Rosa, I'm excited for Spring's arrival as well!
    And your puddings look like a cheerful delight to help pass these last days of winter.
    xo
    E

    ReplyDelete
  51. Elegant and beautiful! I need to be on better terms with tapioca. Your recipe could be the introduction ;)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh Rosa, such a pretty and awesome dessert...love the orange curd combined with the creamy tapioca pudding...beautiful presentation.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  53. C'est très frais comme dessert. Le curd je n'y résiste pas très longtemps.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Fabulous verrines, Rosa. I do love tapioca with a fruit gel of some kind. I've not tried orange...such a lovely presentation and such delightful spring flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hello Rosa, Stopped by your blog for the first time. YOu have a beautiful blog! Being a resident of the Middle East, the weather you're describing sounds divine! It is possibly getting hotter by the day and this recipe sounds like just what we need. I love the freshness of oranges and tapioca pearls are a personal favourite. Enjoyed the photography as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. Awesome recipe...love the styling in the pics.....in love with this recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  57. Such a beautiful and gorgeous dessert, Rosa. I love your use of the tapoica pearls with the lemon curd, it is very different and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I adore your writing style Rosa and just the way you describe seasons - I am ready for Spring and need change in life too. As much as regularity is comforting, we need shock in life to challenge us I think, it makes us stronger hopefully :) on a different note, this pudding is very inspiring and screams spring.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I love your tapioca puddings Rosa! I like tapioca and the strange chewy pearls! Your glasses look like they are filled with little jewel beads. Beautiful.

    Nazneen

    ReplyDelete
  60. this is just gorgeous. i love layered desserts, and tapioca pearls are just magical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. The spring is almost here in PA, US. I see first flowers everywhere. Tapioca recipe sounds very delicious, specially with citrus curd.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I am also a creature of habit and prefer routine, and I agree that having the changing seasons is wonderful. I love tapioca and can imagine how lovely it must taste with orange tapioca. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Wooow …postre realmente lindo me encanta tiene un aspecto muy bueno,abrazos y abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  64. It so is! Oh yum, nothing beats this sago dessert! I've never had this before, but I totally wish I could eat them as they sound right up my alley. Perhaps I need to make some right now!
    http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  65. Lovely post Rosa and stunning verrines!

    ReplyDelete
  66. This is looking so elegant. Love the tapioca, will have to try this soon.Great post to celebrate the approaching of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  67. I prepare Tapioca pudding quite often at home , specially for my little guy who loves the little pearls :-) You should also try a pudding of taipoca cooked in jaggery syrup with some cardamom powder and dry ginger powder added...its phenomenal!

    Absolutely loved that pic with those wordings describing the world in our Kitchen. I hope you wouldn't mind If I ever copied those wordings for a post of mine (with all credits to your blog ofcourse) :-)

    Have a good day Rosa,
    Manju

    ReplyDelete
  68. I've never tried tapioca but the orange curd sounds delicious - very refreshing. I love the clear layers in the dessert too, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Love individual desserts. They look extremely lovely and totally drool worthy. I am also going to post a recipe with Tapioca Pearls - Not sweet but savory

    ReplyDelete
  70. I really hope we are heading towards Spring because here in London, we just had wintery weather a few days ago, just unbelievable!
    I am a big fan of tapioca, love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  71. So pretty Rosa! I'm pretty much ready for spring too but winter doesn't seem to want to let go just yet...
    I've had tapioca in my cupboard for a while but haven't used it yet. This sounds like a recipe I would love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  72. It looks so refreshing. I must confess that I have never tried tapioca in any form merely because it's not easily available.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Elles son très jolies et gourmandes tes coupes!!
    Un délice!!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Such a beautiful pudding Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  75. This by far, the most beautiful tapioca pudding I've ever seen! So pretty. While I enjoy this by taste, visually it is very attractive too!

    ReplyDelete
  76. Yes I feel that same tension between the security of the familiar and the lure of novelty. Like you said the key is finding the right balance and mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  77. This looks incredible, I can't resist any kind of citrus curd, and the tapioca looks like little golden pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  78. This is just lovely and so perfect for this time of year. And I happen to have a bag of tapioca in my pantry that I've been wondering how to use - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  79. Oh My LOVELY! I don't know how I missed this but wowzer does it look delicious. I love porridgey, puddings. I am a real fan of curd too!

    ReplyDelete
  80. Rosa how beautiful! Love your work and have added your site to my Feast Your Eyes blog roll!

    ReplyDelete
  81. Oh Rosa - how gorgeous that looks, light and Spring-like! Spring seems very far off when I look out of my window here in London...

    ReplyDelete
  82. Oh my, the post, the pictures, the recipe, everything is beautiful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  83. Delicious pudding! Of course anything citrusy will tempt me.

    ReplyDelete
  84. I'd welcome this refreshing treat right now, for breakfast!

    I recently rediscovered a bag of large tapioca pearls hiding in the back of my pantry.
    You will see what I ended up doing with it. If I had only known of this lovely dessert sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Absolument ravissant, bravo Rosa!
    Bises de France
    Florence

    ReplyDelete
  86. I used to detest tapioca as a child - along with almost every other child I knew. As an adult I've grown to love it - especially with fruit flavours like this(or coconut Thai-style).

    ReplyDelete
  87. Me encanta esta receta. Un placer visitarte como siempre. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Wow! This is gorgeous . First time here....super clicks and great dessert , rosa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  89. I LOVE the sound of this as an afternoon tea treat! I've never tried tapioca in a pudding, only in the bubble tea drinks, which I adore :)

    ReplyDelete
  90. The poem is beautiful and so right :)

    This is my dessert. Love tapioca, love orange and there could not have been a better combo. luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  91. Hi Rosa,
    Thank you for leaving this link at my blog. As soon as I arrived I realized I did enjoy your gorgeous Tapioca Pudding when I visited before. I did try to go to the magazine it was featured in but alas, it was in French and couldn't be translated as a PDF:)

    Your words are as timeless as they were last year. We do need to go through what Mother Nature provides us with to complicate and appreciate each season. Thank you again for sharing, Rosa...

    ReplyDelete