Wednesday, May 27, 2009

SPINACH & FETA STRUDEL - DARING BAKERS

After a little more than a week holiday, I am back with yet another exciting and audacious recipe which was supplied by two wonderful members of the Daring Bakers who asked us to make "Apple Strudel"...

At first, I was really thrilled when I learnt that I was going to make that Austro-Hungarian speciality and was finally going to be able to test my first recipe from a cookbook I own, but have always been scared of delving into seriously!

I won't say that the idea of making strudel dough didn't scare me at first (I'm a fraidy nelly) and make me doubt my baking skills. But, as with all Daring Bakers challenges, I was ready to overcome my aprehension, jump into the cold water and boost my confidence by proving to myself that I was capable of taking that project from start to finish without faling sadly.

After having gathered my courage and procrastinated for more than three weeks, I finally found enough determination to go through it all and prove to myself that I could succeed at making something as finicky and delicate as strudel dough.

To my big surprise, making the dough wasn't as complicated and esoteric as I expected. It stretched fantastically to a paper-thin sheet and didn't tear. The rolling and shaping of the strudel was easy like Sunday morning.

I was so relie
ved to see that I went through the whole process without cursing, sweating or getting destabilized by any problem. I happily lost my strudel virginity that day and was very proud of succeeding after the very first try!

This time, instead of following the recipe to the letter, I decided that I was not going to make a sweet apple filling, but rather a savory one. As I love Spanakopita and since strudel dough is first cousin to phyllo pastry, I chose to make a Greek inspired "Spinach & Feta Strudel".

It
was perfect and I had no complaints to make. The pastry was fantastic, crispy and flaky to please and the filling was very flavorful and wonderfully smooth. Very summery tasting and healthy!

The May Daring Bakers’ challenge is hosted by Linda of "Make Life Sweeter!" (Netherlands) and Courtney of "Coco Cooks" (USA). They chose "Apple Strudel" from the recipe book "Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague" by Rick Rodgers. So, I really want to thank them for having chosen that terrific recipe!

~ Spinach & Feta Strudel ~

Preparation time

Total: 2 hours 15 minutes – 3 hours 30 minutes
15-20 min to make dough

30-90 min to let dough rest/to prepare the filling
20-30 min to roll out and stretch dough
10 min to fill and roll dough
30 min to bake 30 min to cool

Ingredients:
4 Tbs Olive oil
2 Big onions, chopped

4 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 Tsps Dried dill
600g Spinach (frozen), chopped finely

Salt, to taste
Black pepper, freshly ground, to
taste
200g Feta, crumbled
250g Ricotta
1/4 Cup (60g) Unsalted butter, melted plus more for coating the dough
1x Strudel dough (recipe below)
1 1/2 Cups (350 ml) Fresh bread crumbs

Method:
1. In a pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and garlic and stir-fry until the onions are t
ranslucid.
3. Add the dill and stir-fry for another 1/2 minute.

4. Add the spinach and stir-fry for another 3 minutes.

5. Remove from the heat and let cool.
6. Once the mixture is cold, add the crumbled feta and the ri
cotta. Salt and pepper to taste. 7. Put the rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F).
8 . Line a large baking sheet with baking paper (parchment paper).

9. Make the strudel dough as described below.
10. Spread about 3 tablespoons of the melted butter over the dough using your hands (A bristle brush could tear the dough. You could use a special feather pastry brush instead of your hands.).
11. Sprinkle the buttered dough with the bread crumbs.

12. Spread the spinach filling about 8cm (3 inches) from the short edge of the dough in a 15cm (6 inches) wide strip.
13. Fold the short end of the dough onto the filling. Lift the tablecloth at the short end of the dough so that the strudel rolls onto itself.
14. Transfer the strudel to the prepared baking sheet b
y lifting it. Curve it into a horseshoe to fit. Tuck the ends under the strudel. Brush the top with melted butter.
15. Bake the strudel for about 30 minutes or until it is deep
golden brown.
16. Cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing (Use a serrated knif
e and serve either warm or at room temperature. It is best on the day it is baked.).

****************

Strudel Dough

Ingredients:

1 1/3 Cups (200g) Unbleached flour
1/8 Tsp Salt
7 Tbs (105ml) Water, plus more if needed
2 Tbs (30ml) Vegetable oil
1/2 Tsp Cider vinegar

Method for the "Strudel Dough":
1. Combine the flour and salt in a stand-mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix the water, oil and vinegar in a measuring cup. Add the water/oil mixture to the flour with the mixer on low speed. You will get a soft dough. Make
sure it is not too dry, add a little more water if necessary. Take the dough out of the mixer. Change to the dough hook. Put the dough ball back in the mixer. Let the dough knead on medium until you get a soft dough ball with a somewhat rough surface.
2. Take the dough out of the mixer and continue kneading by hand on an unfloured work surface. Knead for about 2 minutes. Pick up the dough and throw it down hard onto your working surface occasionally. Shape the dough into a ball and transfer it to a plate. Oil the top of the dough ball lightly. Cover the ball tightly with plastic wrap. Allow to stand for 30-90 minutes (longer is better/I left it stand for a little more than 90 minutes).

3. It would be best if you have a work area that you can walk around on all sides like a 36 inch (90 cm) round table or a work surface of 60 x 100 cm (23 x 38 inches). Cover your working area with table cloth, dust it with flour and rub it into the fabric. Put your dough ball in the middle and roll it out as much as you can. Pick the dough up by holding it by an edge. This way the weight of the dough and gravity can help stretching it as it hangs. Using the back of your hands to gently stretch and pull the dough. You can use your forearms to support it.
4. The dough will become too large to hold. Put it on your work surface. Leave the thicker edge of the dough to hang over the ed
ge of the table. Place your hands underneath the dough and stretch and pull the dough thinner using the backs of your hands. Stretch and pull the dough until it's about 2 feet (60 cm) wide and 3 feet (90 cm) long, it will be tissue-thin by this time. Cut away the thick dough around the edges with scissors. The dough is now ready to be filled.

Remarks, Tips & Notes:
Ingredients are cheap so we would recommend making a double batch of the dough, that way you can practice the pulling and stretching of the dough with the first batch and if it doesn't come out like it should you can use the second batch to give it another try.
The tablecloth can be cotton or polyster. Before pulling and stretching the dough, remove your jewelry from hands and wrists, and wear short-sleeves.
To make it easier to pull the dough, you can use your hip to secure the dough against the edge of the table.
Few small holes in the dough is not a problem as the dough will be rolled, making (most of) the holes invisible.
Instead of cider vinegar I used white wine vinegar.
Picking up the dough to let it stretch didn't work well for me, holes appeared pretty much instantly. Instead I stretched the dough while it was lying on the tablecloth by putting my hands underneath and stretching it out further and further.
Here's a
link to a strudelmaking video that might help you a bit.

Serving suggestions:
This "Spinach & Feta Strudel" is ideal served as a main course together with a fresh salad or stir-fried vegetables.

Visit Jen's gorgeous blog if you want to have the recipe for the "Apple Filling".


*****************


Etant donné la longueur du texte original, je n'ai malheureusement pas pu faire une traduction française de ce billet et je m'en excuse auprès de tous mes amis lecteurs et blogueurs francophones! C'est pourquoi je vous suggère de vous rendre sur les blogs mentionnés ci-dessous.

Vous y trouverez cette recette en version française:
Chez Vibi de "La Casserole Carrée" (Canada)
Chez Isa de "Les Gourmandises d'Isa" (Canada)


152 comments:

  1. Rosa!I can see that your strudel has come out PERFECT!! Look at those crispy layers!! Great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is Yummy Yum! I love feta and spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great filling Rosa-it looks fantastic. Well done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spanakopita strudel is genius and looks fabulous! Beautiful job all around, Rosa..it looks mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely going rosa a great combination!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautifully flaky, that strudel is perfect Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Une recette bien tentante, et croustillante.
    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how beautifully the layers stand out Rosa...& really love the filling too. Spinach & ricotta...on my list of things to do soon! Rosa...it's YUM YUM!! Hope you had a good vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spanakopita is one of my favourites and your strudel is pure genius. Love how you got the layers so thin and crisp looking. As always a complete pleasure visiting your blog. Yes I was a little fearful at first but like you I thought you only learn by doing and the DBers are a perfect forum to do something new since so much help is always available. Cheers from Audax - nice music you have on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miam, un délice d'été aux couleurs très appétissantes. Une bien belle recette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Très beau...Je ne suis pas très "branchée" épinards, mais finalement, pourquoi pas...

    ReplyDelete
  12. C'est dans mes cordes ça... je parle de le manger tout entier bien sûr :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, look at those layers, so perfect and flaky. I should try to make the savory strudel next time. I love strudel. Well done as always!
    xoxo,
    elra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Your dough really came out tissue thin!! Superb! Incidentally, the title of your post says DaTing Bakers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. DHARM: Thanks, Dharm! That was a funny typo ;-P!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Comme Minouchka , je ne laisserai pas une miette, une fabuleuse recette, merci !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Il est superbe et doit être bien croustillant ! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. For someone who thinks she's a 'fraidy nelly', I'd say that strudel looks like an absolute triumph!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Rosa, I have seen quite a few strudels on the blogoshsere today but yours look the flakiest...great job!
    I respect you to have conquered ur fears...well I have to go a long way at that :)

    how have u been?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow looks perfect..so crispy and flaky!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love spinach and feta strudel! Yours looks delicious :-) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Quel retour en beauté ! ça me plait beaucoup !!!

    * * Bises

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw.. savory strudel is the way to go... superb Rosa :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, this is one of your masterpieces! Very creative indeed and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rosa, well done on your beautiful strudel. You are very lucky that you didn't tear your pastry. Mine was full of rips. I love the spinach filling, too. I wouldn't have thought of that. Just lovely, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never had the nerve to make strudel - they always sounded so complicated to me but yours sounds delicious. I'm not much of a sweets person but I really like your savory one.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  27. c'est drôle Rosa, car j'ai failli faire la même version que toi ! mais comme, suis très bibitte à sucre, le sucré l'a emporté sur le salé !
    C'est très réussi etk :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your spinach feta filling sounds delicious, a combination I would have chosen, too. And your dough turned out perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great flavour combination, and that is the flakiest dough I've seen so far!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks just perfect! At first sight I thought it's pistache! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh yum, spinach and feta! Great combination of flavours and I love it. Fantastic job as always and amazing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh wow gorgeously beautiful...love the stuffing....

    ReplyDelete
  33. Le premier strudel salé que je vois! Très bonne idée, la combinaison des épinards avec une bonne pâte croustillante, c'est tellement bon!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Rosa, this looks truly scrumptious and! I'm terrified of making strudel pastry but maybe I'll find the courage to follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your savory filling would be top on my list:D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your strudel looks flaky and perfect! And, the spinach filling sounds delicious. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Perfect flakes! I love spinach and feta so much. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Just loving all those flakes, and your choice of filling is the best!!

    Kudos, Rosa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I also thought the dough would be a challenge - and was equally thrilled at how easy it was to roll out. I just love your take on the fillings!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh superbe ta variation!!! je sens que je vais me regaler avec ce thème!!!il y a plein de versions différentes sucrées, salées...feta épinards, personnellement j'adoooore!! Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wonderful job Rosa. Love the Greek take on this.

    ReplyDelete
  42. oh wow! Look at that flaky and crispy pastry! The filling sounds perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow your feta and spinach strudel looks fantastic. You got the dough so wonderful thin and crispy looking. I want some - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I was so close to doing the same filling, but needed my feta and spinach for later in the week *sigh* Yours looks absolutely divine!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your savory strudel is amazing Rosa! It would scare me to make the dough, so much effort and work has gone into this - Bravo!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  46. What an amazing job. I love the idea of a savoury version.

    ReplyDelete
  47. So gorgeous and flaky,love the spinach filling:)

    ReplyDelete
  48. WOW! Bravo Rosa! Très belle réussite!

    Chez moi, tout à foiré... mon strudel s'est eventré. Snif. Bon, on l'a tout de même mangé et il était super bon, mais tellement laid! LOL

    Pas de chance que ça arrive chez toi, ça! Que non!!!

    Perfecto!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Beautiful job Rosa,I love the falky part this is my absolute favourite.

    I was debating between the Spinach Feta stuffing or the Lebanese Chicken Krosky Stuffing, when choose the later... beside the original recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a great idea for the filling! The mediterranean restaurant near me makes a similar streudel that's to die for. :) YUM! I definitely want to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  51. congratulations!!! Yours looks perfect!!! I love the spinach-feta combo as well. I can't believe how perfectly flaky your strudel is :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wow, just gorgeous! I love the perfect flaky pastry and the spinach and feta filling sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Spinach and Feta! That sounds amazing! This would make a wonderful side dish. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  54. Your strudel looks so flaky and I really want to make this again with the same filling!

    Beautiful work :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love it! Your dough looks perfect and flaky. I went savory too, but I love the spinach and feta combo....

    ReplyDelete
  56. J'adore ces feuilletés/bricks feta épinards!! C'est tellement bon...!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Great job! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I made a savory version too, but I think I like your filling idea better. It was a bit like spanikopita, so spinach and feta sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Wow you did a terrific job on this savory strudel. Love the spanakopita-like version.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hurray for another savory strudel! I just love these and especially a take on spanikopita. That stuff is heavenly. Looks great, and I'm sure it tasted EVEN better :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. Love your filling, will have to try it! And your strudel looks so perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  62. the flakiest srtudel I've seen so far....

    ReplyDelete
  63. OH MY!!! That looks amazing! I am starving just looking at it!!!

    Hope your week of was wonderful!

    eila

    ReplyDelete
  64. This looks wonderful! And I love the savory filling.

    ReplyDelete
  65. your struedel looks perfectly baked! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Il y a des moments où on est à court de mots. BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  67. How interesting Rosa. I've never made strudel dough and this is a challenge I would like to try. Your spinach and feta version sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  68. J'adore ton expression "strudel virginity" :-) Félicitations pour ce défi DB relevé haut la main comme d'habitude! J'avoue que moi aussi la pâte à strudel m'impressionne mais à voir toutes les participations plus belles les unes que les autres je me dis que la pâte maison fait vraiment toute la différence.
    Encore bravo & bon retour sur la blogsphère;)

    ReplyDelete
  69. This looks amazing! I love spinach and feta, I can only imagine how good the combination is in strudel form.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Super oroginal ce strudel!!!Bravo.
    J'éspère que tu as passé de bonnes vacances.
    Bisous.
    Caro

    ReplyDelete
  71. Quel beau strudel! Aux épinards, tu a du te régaler:)

    ReplyDelete
  72. Superbe réalisation Rosa !
    Bonne semaine
    A++Sacha

    ReplyDelete
  73. tes photos sont superbes...ça donne envie de se mettre à table

    bisous

    ReplyDelete
  74. wow you make 16 steps sound so easy! looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Here's to spinach and feta, flaky layers, and lost virginity. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  76. wow! this looks delicious! i love the spinach and feta filling... will definitely try this one! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  77. amazing strudel..loved the filling rosa..:)

    ReplyDelete
  78. A savory strudel is just as good as a sweet one. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  79. The flaky delicious savory strudel is elegantly done, Rosa!!
    Hope you've had wonderful Holidays!!

    Cheers!

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  80. It's fantastic, Rosa! I'm really impressed at how beautifully flaky your pastry turned out. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  81. I've run out of words to describe your creations, Rosa. Its gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Simply beautiful! Love the feta and spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  83. A Greek vendor at our local farmers' market sells these. I am addicted to them. Yours look absolutely perfect, Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Your pastry is so flaky yum! I love your filling

    ReplyDelete
  85. Your pastry looks beautiful! I love the combination of feta and spinach. Perfect savory strudel!

    ReplyDelete
  86. I love your filling! Great job on this month's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  87. What a beautiful, delicious looking strudel! I love the fillings - better than apple. I was a scardy cat this month and opted out.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Bravo Rosa! Looks delish. :-) Welcome back from your holiday, hope you had fun?

    ReplyDelete
  89. I TOTALLY thought about doing this and yours makes me wish I had. It looks delicious! Fantastic job and great "jump out of the box!"

    ReplyDelete
  90. Your spinach and feta strudel looks great, very flaky and tasty. Such a nice combination of flavors. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  91. I love feta and spinach, great combo! Yours looks so light and flaky and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  92. Rosa, I wish I had more dough so that I could make this version of the strudel. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  93. Danke für die genaue Anleitung, an Strudelteig habe ich mich noch nie getraut.

    ReplyDelete
  94. I should not be looking at this at midnight...making me so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  95. You made your own strudel pastry?? I bow to you! I am so unworthy. The thought of making my own definitely scares me. I'd have to really psych myself up for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  96. Tremendous looking strudel. The crust looks wonderful, very flaky.

    ReplyDelete
  97. oh my, that looks so tasty! I must try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  98. It looks better than spanikopita! Glad you lost your strudel virginity to this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  99. Ravie que tu sois rentrée de vacances et qu'elles aient été bonnes.
    Ton strudel est très beau et à l'air excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  100. Je raffole du mélange épinards/feta. Encore une fois, tu as bien bossé. Je le préfère version salé le strudel.

    ReplyDelete
  101. là tu me prends par les sentiments!!! bisous

    ReplyDelete
  102. Mmm looks absolutely mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  103. Very nice Recipe, das mit dem Strudelteig sollte ich auch mal machen. Ist irgendwie elegant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  104. Yummm... and with spinach, double yummm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  105. Mais quel beau succes. Bravo ! Le nombre de messages le prouve bien.
    J'aime bien les strudels, j'en fait souvent, mais j'avoue ne pas faire la pâte ... je l'achète à la Coop ou à la Migros ;-)= ... oui je sais je devrais essayer.
    Bien à toi
    verO

    ReplyDelete
  106. Oh YAY This is so creative1 i love it Rosa! Plus it looks like you mastered that dough, it appears to be very flaky and thin, perfect strudel! Glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  107. What a fantastic idea for a savory strudel, and yours looks so wonderfully flaky, too!

    ReplyDelete
  108. Wow! You are so talented! I wish you lived next door! I could supply you with all of the fresh eggs and goat's milk you could want for -- as long as you shared your latest baked goods!!! :)

    And photography, music, and just promised to hang out from time to time.

    Blessings!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  109. la pate a lair d'enfer et cette garniture mamamia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  110. Wow...spinach + feta is one of my favorite combos! This looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  111. Magnifique et sûrement délicieux. Bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  112. Strudel dough ... my you are brave and daring!

    ReplyDelete
  113. RAZORFAMILYFARMS: Thanks ever so much for the compliment! I'd love to have a neighbor like you too!!! I'd gladly eat your eggs, drink your goat's milk and give you some of my baked goods...

    Cheers,

    Rosa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  114. Le tiens aussi, et aux épinard, Mmmmm
    Tes photos sont sublimes, on dirait la couverture d'un livre de cuisine !
    Quelle perfection, j'suis fan des jolies photos...

    ReplyDelete
  115. Rosa, that's one yummy looking strudel! You inspired me to try savory versions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  116. mouais, " pulling and streching " ça m'évoque plutot le sport et 30mn de sport pour faire une pâte ( plus autant pour décrasser le drap qui a servi de support..et puis me battre avec les chattes qui voudront monter sur la table pour voir ce que je fabrique d'amusant..Je sens que je vais me contenter d'admirer ta superbe réalisation, et profiter d'un passage chez Goldengerg , rue des rosiers à Paris pour en manger un aux pommes....par contre ta farce, dans de la pâte à brick toute faite, je ne dis pas non .

    ReplyDelete
  117. ça doit vraiment être un délice! biises micky

    ReplyDelete
  118. Beautiful Strudel!! I love the flavours in your filling =D.

    ReplyDelete
  119. oh my goodness... this looks delicious! fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  120. Fabulous strudel Rosa I adore the filling - some of my favourite ingredients. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  121. Il est magnifique ce strudel! Tout a l'air bon, la pâte et la farce. BRAVO à toi encore une fois.

    ReplyDelete
  122. Oh! you are back from your break, gosh as always lovely bakes and lovely hands! :) wish i was your next door neighboour! then I get to taste all those lovely bakess of yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  123. That strudel looks so good! The spinach and feta filling is one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  124. Spinach & feta! This looks soo amazing! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  125. I think you made one of the thinnest pastries ever! wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  126. encore une superbe gourmandise !! bise sandra

    ReplyDelete
  127. Cette farce quel bonheur, un pur délice...!
    Bises, bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  128. Rosa ma é magnifico...quella pasta é spettacolare ho visto il video ma ho bisogno della ricetta...troppo invitante!!!me la manderesti tramite mail?...la traduzione solo degli ingredienti della pasta!!!! grazie mille!!!:-)))))

    ReplyDelete
  129. ROsa, your apple strudel looks so perfectly flaky. Love the spinach and feta combination!

    ReplyDelete
  130. Je te souhaite un très bon week-end de Pentecôte et nous aurons du soleil sur toute la France..c’est que du bonheur….

    ReplyDelete
  131. ..quelle beau mélange!!!!..humm..tu me donnes faim ma chère Rosa;)

    ..bo vendredi..

    ~nancy xx

    ReplyDelete
  132. Your strudel looks perfect...flakey and all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  133. Wow, your crust is so flaky...that must be so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  134. You! A baking fraidy nelly? I will never believe it! And your dough is perfect! Just perfect! And how clever is this to make a savory strudel? I love spinach and feta filling. Congrats on losing your strudel virginity. Guess I am next.

    ReplyDelete
  135. Extra ce strudel, quelle bonne idée ce challenge !

    ReplyDelete
  136. Hi Rosa,
    Your Strudel seems so crispy. Good work, i save the recipe. I've never tried salty strudels but yours convinced me. Kisses. Leila.

    ReplyDelete
  137. That strudel looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  138. Love what you did here! I, too, was pleasantly surprised that the dough wasn't complicated. I wish all dough was that easy!

    Looks delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  139. Totally amazing Rosa! I love Spanakopita and after my onion strudel my next thought was Spanakopita. It is next on my list to make with this dough!
    Funny how really well this one works.

    ReplyDelete
  140. Même sans traduction, je peux t'assurer que je suis séduite!
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  141. C'est une bonne idée de décliner le strudel en version salée, celui-ci me semble délicieux! La feta doit agréablement compléter le goût de l'épinard...

    ReplyDelete
  142. yummyy!! i love strudles.. cant wait to try this out.. looks delish.. the writing is very informative and effective.. thanx a lot for the tips and the detailed, methodology..
    cheers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  143. I love the combo. great mix of austrian baking tradition with mediterranean filling.

    ReplyDelete
  144. Ciao Rosa your salty version is really special !!

    ReplyDelete
  145. ton strudel est à tomber , bravissimo!!

    ReplyDelete
  146. Delicious looking strudel, Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  147. welcome back Rosa! I don't have to tell you why this spinach & feta filling appeals to me so much. Your strudel rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  148. Rosa, your strudel turned out fantastic! Like you, I was always a bit afraid of strudel dough but now I'm glad we both jumped right in.

    ReplyDelete
  149. Terrific job! It looks perfect and good call on your filling choice!

    You seem fearless to me!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete