Wednesday, May 13, 2009

MOUHALABIEH - LEBANESE MILK FLANS

Being a person who likes all kinds of spices and special flavors, I am very attracted to Middle Eastern food. I can really relate to the tastes found in this refined cuisine...

A few weeks ago, I went to a cool place called Yo'Mo Lounge which is situated on Geneva's left bank and has a a splendid view of the lake and English Garden (Jardin Anglais).

This unusual place positively suprised me and made a very good impression on me. I really enjoyed their fine East-meets-West (Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, European) cuisine which is presented in a stylish, aesthetic and stunning way, efficient service, friendly staff and their bright magical Alice-in-Wonderland-like setting as well as warm comfortable atmosphere. Very charming!

There, I ate the most exquisite falafel and kanafeh, and my friend Corinne had a wonderful fattoush salad and "Mouhalabieh" which was accompanied by Arabic coffee. This place totally inspired me and made me want to experiment a little with that kind of food. So, for a start, I decided to try making that luscious Lebanese milk flan called "Mouhalabieh".

This authentic Lebanese dessert is really delicious and quite easy to make. There's not much fussing around and the end result is fantastic. As it mostly made with milk, this delightful speciality has the advantage of being quite light, thus it is the perfect kind of dessert you'd want to eat if you've had a hearty meal. Not forgetting that it is also very refreshing, so it is a good summer option when served together with a fruit salad (strawberries, apples, oranges, etc...).

"Mouhalabieh" is a heavenly sweet treat that has an exotic as well as a delicate flavor and isn't overly sugary. It's flan-like and melt-in-the-mouth texture is extremely pleasant. It is definitely a pretty and sublime speciality that brings that wow factor to the table, but doesn't demand much energy and time to make. Perfect!

~ Mouhalabieh or Lebanese Milk Flans ~
Recipe by Bigmousse at "Le Palais Des Délices" (France) and adapted by Rosa @ Rosa's Yummy Yums.

Makes about 8 flans.

Ingredients for the "Flans":
4 Cups Milk (3.5 % fat)
1/2 Cup Cornstarch
3/4 Cups Castor sugar
1 Tbs Orange blossom water
1 Handful pistacchios, roasted and chopped
Ingredients for the "Syrup":
4 Tbs water
2 Hibiscus flowers (optional)
2 Tbs Rosewater
8 tbs Castor sugar

Method for the "Flans":
1. In a medium pan, mix together the milk, sugar and cornstarch. Whisk well until the cornstarch has been disolved.
2. While constantly whisking the mixture, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and cook for 1 minute more.
3. Once the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat and add the orange blossom water.
4. Pour the mixture into the small flan moulds.
5. Set aside, in the refrigerator, for about 3 hours.
Method for the "Syrup":
6. Very briefly boil the water and add the hibiscus flowers.
7. Remove from the heat and let infuse for about 30 minutes.
8. Mix together the hibiscus water, sugar and rose water, then bring to the boil and remove from the heat once the sugar has been entirely dissolved.
9. Serve imediately with the flans or let cool and put in the refrigerator in order to serve cold over the flans.

Remarques:
If you don't want to use a natural coloring like hibiscus flowers, just use the same quantity water and add red food coloring.

Idées de présentation:
Unmold the flans, drizzle the cold or warm syrup over them and sprinkle with the chopped pistacchios.
Serve with either tea, Turkish/Greek coffee or Arabic coffee.

***************

~ Mouhalabieh ou Flans Libanais Au Lait ~
Recette par Bigmousse de "Le Palais Des Délices" (France) et adaptée épar Rosa @ Rosa's Yummy Yums.

Pour environ 8 petits flans.

Ingrédients pour les "Flans":
4 Mesures de lait
1/2 Mesure de Maizena (fleur de maïs)
3/4 Mesure de Sucre semoule/cristallisé
1 CS d'Eau d'eau de fleurs d'oranger
1 Poignée de pistaches grillées et concassées
Ingrédients pour le "Sirop":
4 CS d'Eau
2 Boutons de fleur d'hibiscus
2 CS d'Eau de rose
8 CS de Sucre semoule/cristallisé

Méthode pour les "Flans":
1. Dans une casserole mettre le lait avec le sucre et la fleur de maïs, fouettez pour bien diluer le tout et obtenir un mélange homogène, puis porter sur le feu en remuant avec une cuillère en bois sans arrêt pour que les grumeaux ne se forment pas.
2. Lorsque le mélange s'épaissit retirer du feu, ajouter l'eau de fleurs d'oranger et répartir dans des ramequins de service.
3. Mettre au frais pendant au moins 3 heures.
Méthode pour le "Sirop":
4. Chauffer l'eau et ajouter les fleurs d'hibiscus.
5. Eteindre le feu et laisser infuser pendant 30 minutes.
6. Mélanger l'infusion, le sucre et l'eau de rose, puis faire bouillir légèrement le tout quelques instants jusqu'à ce que le sucre soit dissous.
7. Servir immédiatement sur les flans ou mettre au frigo afin d'utiliser ce sirop froid.

Remarques:
Si vous ne voulez pas utiliser un colorant naturel comme l'hibiscus, alors utilisez la même quantité d'eau mais ajoutez un colorant rouge à votre sirop.

Idées de présentation:
Au moment de servir, enrober les flans avec du sirop tiède ou froid et décorer avec les pistaches concassées.
Servir avec du thé ou un café turque/grecque ou arabe.

105 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks fabulous! I also love Lebanese food. My best friend in high school was lebanese and her mom used to cook all their traditional foods for me. They were so yummy! This flan looks yummy and sounds simple to make. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and delicious looking flan. I like Lebanese food, especially their sweet.
    xoxo,
    elra

    ReplyDelete
  3. J'adore! Il ne me manque plus que les boutons d'hibiscus et je pourrai la faire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am looking forward to doha - then i will be enjoying this to the max LOL! love this rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C'est un peu comme un blanc-mange ce flan. Bien moins gélatineux que la panacotta.
    Bonne journée Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'est beau, c'esfrais et un rien exotique...! Miamm!
    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look lovely. I can nearly feel them melting in my mouth. So pretty

    ReplyDelete
  8. La couleur du sirop est splendide et ces petits flans ont l'air tout doux comme j'aime. Merci pour cette belle découverte Rosa, il faut que j'essaie absolument.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummm...Mouhalabieh looks gorgeous..simply delicious and mouth watering..plus simple to prepare too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, both to look at and to eat! Thanks Rosa for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. voilà qui me ramène chez moi!! il est magnifique, j'en prendrai bien...bisous

    ReplyDelete
  12. Damn cute clicks! They look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We adore Middle Eastern food and your meal sounds fabulous! Your dessert is simply gorgeous and if it is simple, then it will be the perfect dessert after a couscous or a felafel dinner at home (I never know what to serve after). Yum! They are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous dessert Rosa! Looks fantastic and quite simple to make actually...like you siad, this would be a perfect light ending to a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Middle Eastern and Mediterranean flavours are the most exciting cuisine to me:D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This looks so beautiful! And delicious too, very sweet. I love traditional Lebanese food too, recipes are very spicy and colorful! And sweets are... yummy, absolutly yummy !

    Cheers,

    Miette.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Un dessert sublime ! J'adore le flan libanais.
    Bonne journée
    Michèle

    ReplyDelete
  18. ..ouf ma belle Rosa!!..c'est une merveille que tu nous proposes ce matin!!..de toute beauté!!..on dirait un morceau de nuage..

    ..bo mercredi à toi;)

    ~nancy xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooooh, yes - middle eastern flavours, especially, sweet ones, are among my very favourite things. So simple, but so fragrant and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look delightful and delicate. I would like to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Juste à voir tes merveilleuses photos, ce petit flan m'a l'air succulent!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bellissimo...colori e sicuramente delicato come sapore.
    Un grande abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful and light dessert and a good use of orange and rose flower water. I have some sitting in my cabinet that I use only for pastiera at eastertime. now I know what else to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rosa,
    Mouhalabieh( or Muhallebi in Turkish )one of my favorite. It is really light as you said. Lebanese cuisine is similar to Turkish cuisine too.I enjoy reading it.
    Iffet

    ReplyDelete
  25. Simple à faire, beau et exotique en même temps ! Il faut que j'essaye :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Très bons ces petits flans qui fondent dans la bouche!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have never heard of this before, but it sure looks delicious! I love that it includes orange blossom water and rosewater.

    ReplyDelete
  28. C'est très joli, j'avais aussi reperé cette recette chez Céline mais je ne l'ai pas encore testée.

    ReplyDelete
  29. comme ça a l'air bon. C'est étonnant comme il tient sans gélatine...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rosa, this flan looks heavenly!!

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look dreamy...very well photo'd and I learned of something new!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, celui-là, il me plaît trop. Il faut que je le fasse.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very elegant dessert and wonderful flavors! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Rosa, I absolutely adore your blog which I discovered only recently. Your photos are just wonderful and this flan looks so delicious and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This looks absolutely gorgeous, Rosa! So lovely and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  36. this one is a stunner! I just love it by just a glance, looks so pure so inviting, are you invitng me to your next creation, Rosa? :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. la couleur de l'infusion de karcadé est trop belle, j'imagine bien le gout et la consistance, ne me manquent que les pistaches.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This looks fantastic Rosa. i haven't had a lot of Lebanese food but that is going to change!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow Rosa! These look great, I am going to have to try them! I am a huge fan of these cuisines as well!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Smooth and creamy -- what a perfect way, and a very pretty one, to end a meal with.

    ReplyDelete
  41. WOW Rosa such a fabulous looking dessert! Absolutely gorgeous.

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love Lebanese food - Arabic coffee and falafel...yum! These look extrordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Superbe Rosa!!! Les couleurs sont sublimes! ...et tu me rappelles mon amour pour l'eau de fleur d'oranger, faudra que le vois à remédier à mon ennui!
    Tellement frais et approprié pour la saison! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love Lebanese food too! The flan looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  45. An innovative treat you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow, this is an outstanding dessert! Amazing! I was in London today and was passing Edgware road where there are lots of Lebanese restaurant, just wondering when I should try this cuisine one day.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Lovely!!! I make pannacotta with orange blossom water and it's a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  48. SO PRETTY! OMG, am so making this!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Si c'est aussi bon que c'est joli...l'Affaire est dans le sac comme on dit par chez nous.

    Bonne soirée!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Such a pretty and lovely dessert...with all the flavors...feels heaven. And the pictures are just amazing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I've been eating in Lebanese restaurants for years and never heard of Mouhalabieh. Ils sont vraiment jolis tes flans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Mmmmm, I adore flan so I definitely think this is something I would enjoy as well.

    Great job!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  53. J'adooooore tes p'tits flans!
    Vite, une cuillère...
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  54. a flan without gelatine, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Moi aussi j'aime beaucoup la cuisine libanaise ! Et le mouhalabieh est mon dessert préféré.
    Les photos de ton flan au lait sont sublimes !

    ReplyDelete
  56. Des parfums très doux pour un flan très léger, j'aime beaucoup la couleur de ton sirop.

    ReplyDelete
  57. lovely! brings me back to my holiday in lebanon just a few months ago!
    off topic: i saw your comment on burrata and how unknown it is in Switzerland and I feel you! You can buy some on the weekly market in Zurichs main station every Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Rosa complimenti ! This is absolutely delicious ! My husband will love it !! I 'll have to make it today !! Grazie !

    ReplyDelete
  59. Waouh quel résultat et avec une telle photo on a vraiment du mal à résister !!! bises

    ReplyDelete
  60. super comme d'habitude : des photo extra qui donne envie !! bise sandra

    ReplyDelete
  61. Wow what a beautiful dessert I can imagine those Middle Eastern flavours and I just love that pink syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  62. J'aime trop ce dessert que je connais très bien ! Et avec ce sirop à l'hibiscus et à la rose, ça doit être terrible ! J'aime trop tes photos !

    ReplyDelete
  63. Looks great - and I bet I'd like these more than the traditional flan.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Beautiful beautiful photo is looks so shiny and so delish. You have inspired me and WILL be making this on the weekend for a high tea I'm having. Your blog is so good very post is a joy. Cheers. Thank you for your very nice comments on my blog I really do appreciate it a lot coming from you. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  65. Looks so beautiful and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Vraiment superbe, j'ai envie de mordre dedans;

    ReplyDelete
  67. Mummm, on a envie de plonger la cuillère dedans!!!tes photos sont alléchantes...Bises

    ReplyDelete
  68. how elegant! I have a vile of rose flower water and orange flower water that I must put to use. This looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  69. This looks like my kind of dessert! And so easy and appealing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I adore flan, but never tried the Turkish version! Your beautiful result and photos makes me want to start soon!

    ReplyDelete
  71. C'est superbe autant par les couleurs diaphanes que par les saveurs très fines, une vraie recette orientale !! bravo

    ReplyDelete
  72. Thanks for giving us this great dessert Rosa! My dad is Lebanese, so I grew up on simple, aromatic, light desserts like this one and I love them. I prefer them to complex heavy desserts any day of the week. Especially with some fruit on top, maybe some figs and prunes and apricots... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Thats a beautiful and delicious perfect for my weekend menu will try this thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  74. un flan léger et poétique ,ça fait rêver!!

    ReplyDelete
  75. This is truly lovely! :) The texture on this sounds delicious. I like the light flavors too.

    ReplyDelete
  76. what a lovely idea for a dessert... belated happy mother's day to you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  77. It looks so light and delicious! And, the syrup looks incredible. Great color.

    ReplyDelete
  78. c'est un dessert que j'adore
    j'en fais assez souvent , le tien est superbement présenté
    bises

    ReplyDelete
  79. OH that color! What photographs. Beautiful Rosa!!

    ReplyDelete
  80. I wish I could take a spoonful out of my screen. So yummy! I will have to try them.

    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  81. I'm not very familiar with Lebanese food, but this looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  82. Oh my god thats so lovely and romantic dessert.. its looking just perfect and lovely photos too. LOved the colors no words at all.simply superb

    ReplyDelete
  83. This is one of the simplest desserts but also so delicious. It has passed into the Cypriot cuisine as well and we call it Mahalebi and I have posted about it several months back. Lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Lenanesse food is outstanding. I could eat it every day. The flans look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Sounds like a perfect dish to end a meal on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
  86. This looks so delicious, I am always enamoured of anything flavoured with flowers...in fact I just made a rhubarb and rose curd which is delicious. Nice photos too...thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  87. The flan looks so yummy to me. Luckily you have a recipe here! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  88. encore une recette qu'il faut que je fasse

    ReplyDelete
  89. MAGNIFIQUE!!!!
    les photos sont alléchantes.......miam
    bizzz

    ReplyDelete
  90. Love it! Love how you made your own ultra pink syrup. Great tip to use hibiscus for it.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Un plaisir pour les yeux et aussi pour le palais. J'en ai déjà fait et je confirme.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Beauuuuutiful photos, Rosa!!! I've been making various flan-type desserts recently, so I'll bookmark this Lebanese recipe as well.

    ReplyDelete
  93. ca a l'air déliceux!!
    miam!!
    bravo

    ReplyDelete
  94. ca a l'air déliceux!!
    miam!!
    bravo

    ReplyDelete
  95. Wow,you can make Lebanese dessert. I would like to taste it. I seem to have all ingredients you mentioned even the orange blossom water. I bought in UK, can you get this in Switzerland? From Globus? So I do not need to source elsewhere in the future. It's very special. I have never tried Lebanese cuisine. Do they have any in Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  96. JANET: I'm sure you'd love that dessert! Yes, you can find orange blossom in Switzerland. I bought mine from Migros or Manor (I think), but I guess you should also find it in Globus (maybe more expensive there)...

    ReplyDelete
  97. Endgeil, super Rezept, ich liebe deine Fotos, superschick. :)
    Gruß aus Cologne

    ReplyDelete
  98. A beautiful dessert! I love the pink and white theme.

    ReplyDelete