Wednesday, August 27, 2014

SPITFIRE PREMIUM KENTISH ALE: COMPLETE PROFILE

A quart of Ale is a dish for a king.
- William Shakespeare
Origin: Kent, UK. 
Produced By: Britain's oldest (founded in 1698) and most popular brewery (they produce more than 5.5 million gallons of beer a year), Shepherd Neame Limited from Faversham.
Status: Spitfire Premium Kentish Ale is a standout brew and is the biggest ale success story of the last decade (Shepherd Neame's biggest-selling cask conditioned ale). Besides, it also has Protected Geographical Indication, just like Champagne and Parma Ham.
History: Originally produced in 1990 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, Spitfire is now a permanent feature on the Shepherd Neame portofolio.
Awards: Winner of a gold medal and Best Strong Cask-Conditioned Beer of the World at the Brewing Industry International Awards.
Colour: Clear, rich, darkish amber with orange and copper hues.
Smell: Clean, dry, malty, slightly bitter with hints of buttery popcorn, nuts, grass, fruits (apricots & bitter oranges) and flowers.
Flavour: This traditional British beer is wonderfully hoppy and minerally, and has aromas of bread, yeast, apricots, nuts with hints of cinnamon, toffee, raspberries, red grapes, marmalade, pepper and a enjoyable bitter as well as a grassy aftertaste and a sweet honey and caramelly flavour that lingers for an eternity.
Body: Medium, but with a nice dryness.
Carbonation: Medium with rather sharp bubbles.
Alcohol Content: 4.5%
Cost: Not the cheapest beer on the market, but not ridiculously expensive either.
Food pairing: Perfect with good old English grub like fish and chips, cheese and onion crisps, cheese (Cheddar, Red Leicester, Lancashire, Caerphilly, etc...) and crackers, pies, coronation salad, roasts, fish (poached salmon & haddock), grilled meats and even oatmeal cookies or shortbreads. It also pairs splendidly with Asian food (as long as it's not too fiery) and dishes such as quiches, pâtés, terrines, omelets, savory crêpes or continental cheeses that are not too overpowering (Edam, Tilsit, Cantal, young Gruyère, Comté, Beaufort, etc...).
Verdict: Refreshing, smooth, elegant, well-balanced, intensely flavorful and pleasant. A magnificent and highly recommendable ale.

26 comments:

  1. I love English ale. And bitter. I've not heard of this, but I'll bet if I look I can find it -- loads of English bottled beers are available in specialty shops in the US. Good review -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great ale. Thanks for sharing, Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post! (as always!)
    I love that ale. Specially with chips (crisps I should say!) or tomato sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. uh... I love ale! If I'll find one I'll gladly taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love a good ale. At 4.5% I think I'll have two of them. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting profile! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This ale sounds good Rosa...thanks for sharing.
    Enjoy the rest of your week :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks and sounds delicious! I like the bottle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are in the midst of a craft beer revolution (delicious). This would be fun to try. Wonder if I can find it here....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, sounds like a savagely splendid ale!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll have to look for it. Sounds delicious with a good English cheddar!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ta description est une invitation à la dégustation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rosa, I may not be much of a beer drinker, but your detailed description of this ale sounds intriguing enough to search for.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love the name alone. That -- and the beautiful amber color -- would definitely entice me to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great beer! I hope I can find this ale in Waitrose here in London.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lovely amber color from this ale! I think I would enjoy this with plenty of bread on a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We always try different beer, this one looks so good. I like the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now I feel thirsty, wishing I could try this beer...

    ReplyDelete