Friday, April 27, 2012

TAHINOMELO WITH MAHLAB - TAHINOMELO AU MAHLEB

Lately, while looking out of the window, the following lyrics, sung in 1982 by the mighty Glenn Danzig, leader of my favorite punk formation (The Misfits – Danzig Era only, 1977-1983) constantly popped up in my mind:
Brains for dinner
Brains for lunch
Brains for breakfast
Brains for brunch
Brains at every single meal,
Why can't we have some guts?

OI! OI! OI!

Brains are all we ever get at this rotten fucking place,
brains are all we ever get, why can't we have a change of pace! ]…[
Don’t get me wrong, no brains were involved. As a matter of fact, I was thinking about the rain that had not stopped bugging us on a daily basis since about a month.  After such an extensive period of precipitations, it started to get so boring and frustrating that, very much like the vocalist of that mythic band, I quotidianly prayed for "a change of pace”. Unfortunately, cursing the dark clouds, invoking our brightest star and hoping that it will finally hug us with its warm arms proved unsuccessful until today. I really thought that I'd lose my marbles if the meteorological calamities continued to strike us and the status quo was maintained for another 24 hours!

 Although nature desperately necessitated intense watering considering that the Siberian winter we experienced at the beginning of the year (January and February) left the grounds dry and the vegetation severely dehydrated, the sad, monotonus and dreary weather began to negatively affect my mood.

You see, it can get extremely tedious to wake up every morning to grey blankness. I dearly missed the pure and blinding April light, the birds' ear-tearing cacophony of joy as well as contemplating the rays of the sun play with the lush green leaves on the trees. In lieu of that, all I could observe was an aqua deluge and apart from the sound of thousand of drops hitting hard the concrete and the howls of the semi-cyclonic gusts of winds that shook the whole building, nothing else was to be heard.

When you’ve been looking forward to spring and instead, winter comes back with full force and slaps you in the face with a mighty roar, thus shattering your optimism and scattering it all over the floor like the countless petal confettis that cascaded down from the trees and were dispersed all over the muddy ground, there is absolutely no way this can make you feel enthusiastic. All the contrary.

Much to my dispair, the violent Bise and strong downpours have washed away the marvelous fruit tree blossoms and prevented us from enjoying those iconic flowers as much as we wanted. With such stormy and miserable conditions I’ve had problems gathering enough motivation to go out for walks and brave the deluvial precipitations, crazy gales as well as fresh temperatures. Cocooning was definitively a more adequate option... 
You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.  
- Brian Tracy
That reminds me of an important lesson of acceptance and resignation each one of us should learn as it would spare us a lot of trouble, unhappiness and senseless stress if we understood that we cannot have an authoritative influence over everything.

Nowadays, society is obsessed with controlling and conquering the world and what surrounds it. People hate powerlessness as it makes them incredibly anxious and uncomfortable. They are terrorized by the idea that some elements in our existence are out of our hands and totally depend on fate. 

We all can choose the path we take, our conduct, the attitude we have towards things and the individuals we want to be acquainted with, yet we cannot decide which events or circumstances we’ll come across on our journey as a manifested individual. There is no denying that a supreme principle exists behind them and that our luck as well as misfortune are not always easily explainable.
Chaos was the law of nature; Order was the dream of man.
- Henry B. Adams
The more chaos there is, the more science holds on to abstract systems of control, and the more chaos is engendered.
- William Irwin Thompson
None of us is entirely the master of our destiny. We contribute to it, but only to a certain degree. This fundamental force in the universe has always been there and will remain until the end of time. Even modern science recognizes it. Forever, humans have had to deal with chaos and unpredictability. Hence, resisting those incertainties is senseless. One should rather embrace them, make the most of them and recognize the possibilities they offer. Anarchy rules the cosmos. It has a purpose that evades us and the portion of unknown which is thrown into the equation is what makes our life even the more exciting.

Spring Flowers 1 1 bis
Chaos in the world brings uneasiness, but it also allows the opportunity for creativity and growth.
- Tom Barrett
I have great belief in the fact that whenever there is chaos, it creates wonderful thinking. I consider chaos a gift.
- Septima Clark
Creativity in its most meaningful sense renders order out of chaos. True creativity engenders new coherent form from existing patterns or ideas. The creative mind is not subdued by the apparent anarchy of random chaos.
- J.L. Read
In order to be creative, artists need to be organized as well as hectic. No art is born without a little discipline and a good dose of unbounded wackiness. Those components are complementary and if you seek to generate craft exclusively with either one of them, then you’ll get nowhere. In the kitchen, the same theory can be applied. No chef can cook like a beserker unless he/she incorporates a certain amount of method to his/her deliriousness. 

It is beautiful to see that there is a hidden plan behind everything and that even the most crazy phenomenon has a reason of being and a deeper meaning behind its apparent randomeness. This is why I believe that door’s will open for you when the stars are aligned and the right moment has arrived.

So, when life hands you lemons, don't dispair and "say oh yeah I love lemons, what else you got?" (quote by
Henry Rollins). Remember that this is the result of your actions combined to a higher pattern (equation composed of controllable & uncontrollable factors: actions + attitude+ place + time + character + unpredictability = fate). You are not getting what you want because you have engaged yourself in the wrong direction and you are lost (not morally speaking). Thus, if you want to influence your kismet in a more positive manner, then it is essential to rethink your doings and turn bad situations to your advantage by adjusting your karma (every action or manifestation marks a rupture of equilibrium, so to counterbalance that, a corresponding reaction is demanded - concordant actions and reactions). In one word, never give up as you have some cards in hands and can still alter the course of your route... 

Since my photography "studio" is situated on my balcony, the unfriendly climate and lack of light of the last four weeks have greatly compromised my photoshoot projects. Seing my projects fizzle out has upset me immensely, yet I refused to let that discourage me and annihilate my cheerfulness or sap my energy, hence I decided that it was indeed a good excuse to relax a bit.


An auspicious contretemps and message from the sky which I greeted with open arms as I'm suffering from a photographer's and writer's block at the moment. I have the impression of turning in circles and inspiration just fails me. Anyway, I'm am pretty sure my readers don't mind if I occasionnaly publish a "simple" recipe and slightly slow up my posting rythm in order to regain my strength and not develop a bad case of blogging burnout (we wouldn't want that to occur, would we?).

Hence, the speciality I am presenting today is uncomplicated. Nonetheless, it is far from being uninteresting or ordinary. "Tahinomelo" (ταχινόμελο, pronounced tah-hee-NO-meh-loh) is a luscious Greek sweet sesame spread made with tahini and honey which is without a doubt foreign to the majority of my non Hellenic or Middle Eastern readers.

Not only is it easy to make as it requires only three ingredients, but it is also delicious, refined, very healthy, nourishing and is a great alternative to other industrial pastes that are far more calorific and less wholesome in comparison with that 100% natural treat. A perfect breakfast, brunch or snack indulgence!

Tahinomelo 2 1 bis
Tahinomelo With Mahlab
Recipe by Rosa Mayland, April 2012.

Makes about a cup of tahinomelo.

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Tahini
3/8 Cup (1/4 + 1/8 Cups) Runny honey
1/8 Cup Water
1/2 Tsp Mahlab (optional)

Method:
1. In a medium bowl, add the tahini and whisk together mith the water until you get a solid mass.
2. Incorporate the honey and and mahlab. Whisk hard until you get a smooth and pale spread that has the consistency of Nutella.
3. Serve.

Remarks:
If the paste is too thick or not sweet enough for your taste, then add a little more honey.
Tahinomelo can be stored unrefrigerated for several days, well covered.
Before every use, stir it well.

Serving suggestions:
Spread on bread (whole grain preferably), toast or crackers.
It is also perfect for making banana sandwiches.

Tahinomelo 1 5 bis
Tahinomelo Au Mahleb
Recette par Rosa Mayland, Avril 2012.

Pour environ 1 tasse de tahinomelo.

Ingrédients:
1/2 Tasse de Tahini
3/8 de Tasse (1/4 + 1/8 de tasse) de Miel liquide
1/8 de Tasse d'Eau
1/2 de CC de Mahlep (optionel)

Méthode:
1. Dans un bol moyen, foutter ensemble le tahini et l'eau afin d'obtenir une masse solide.
2. Incorporer le miel et le mahleb tout en fouettant énergiquement jusquà obtention d'une pâte étalable et ayant la consistance du Nutella.
3. Servir.


Spring Flowers 7 9 bis
Remarques:
Si la pâte est trop épaisse et pas assez sucrée à votre goût, alors vous pouvez ajouter un peu plus de miel.
Le tahinomelo peut être conservé à température ambiante pendant plusieurs jours.
Bien mélanger avant chaque utilisation.

Idées de présentations:
Tartiner sur du pain (pain complet aux graines de préférence), des toasts ou des crackers.
Cette pâte à tartiner est parfaite pour faire des sandwich à la banane.

Tahinomelo 4 6 bis

85 comments:

  1. Sometimes simplicity is best - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting sweet Rosa. I dislike winter. It hit today with a vengance and I went from summer clothes yesterday into winter clothes today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Originale cette recette :) Les photos sont sublimes ** Bisous et belle journée !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of my hubby's favourite treat, tahini and molasses. He says it's the Middle Eastern version of peanut butter and jam/honey. I'll make this for him and see what he thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. back after a long break :)...love the last two pics..

    Sohini xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Il faut que je me trouve du mahlab, ça a l,air trop bon et je sens que ta pâte à tartiner va me plaire!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merci pour la découverte, je ne connaissais pas du tout !
    Bises
    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pass the crackers please Rosa!
    I hate it when it's dark and don't like using flashes unless it's entirely necessary (like when it's pitch black and I made something late into the night)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos as always Rosa and a simple and I am sure delicious Greek spread that can take us away to warm climates despite the Spring rains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love tahinomelo, as a Greek there's no way I wouldn't ;)

    Good job Rosa!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simplicity at its best:)

    Mother Nature is indeed letting us know who's the boss and although I don't always agree with her, she has her reasons I suppose.

    I have experienced Tahinomelo before but I'm afraid I never knew what it was "officially" called.

    Thanks for sparking the memories, Rosa. Wishing you Sunny weather soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Spring season. Actually, I ADORE the Spring!! Flowers are everywhere. The weather starts to warm up.... LOVE IT! I've never had Tahinomelo before. Looks delicious and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A estas fotos la hacen una crema interesantísima.
    Un saludito

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious sounding recipe. Mahlab is still strange to me, but very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simplicity is beautiful!
    This recipe sounds deliciously different. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. J'ouvre une bouteille de blanc pour accompagner ça!
    Tchin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always a shame to see bad spring weather knock down all the new blooms. Hopefully, spring is back by now.
    Really an interesting recipe, Rosa. Have never heard of this. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You always make me so happy with a fantastic visual treat and this time is no different ,Rosa :) The pictures are gorgeous and the recipe sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never had Tahinomelo before, but your great photos make me curious to try one day - this looks delicious and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have heard of this treat but never tasted - thanks to the photos - I almost did! Here in Minnesota, the welcoming lilac week ensures we will get a windstorm and blow the delicate blossoms into outer space. 'tis the nature of the week! Here's to welcoming sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Elles sont très tentantes tes photos et savoureuses
    Je te souhaite de passer un beau WE ensoleillé

    Valérie.

    ReplyDelete
  22. je ne connaissais pas du tout, merci de la découverte.
    Rosa tes photos sont absolument gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  23. How simple and yet so wonderful....! Thanks to u, I know about Mahlab , I love blogosphere!
    The pictures are fantastic! as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. ça a l'air délicieux ! très tentant...
    bises et bon weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Delish looking spread..I wanna try it! beautiful spring pictures as always? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oi oi oi! ;p

    Your posts are always so refreshing. I <3 that you don't say the usual same ol things. This looks scrumptious. I never had tahini until a few months ago. I really dig that its mild but aromatic.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Rosa,
    This is something new to me. It looks wonderful! I would love to try it out. Your photographs are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Rosa, I really enjoyed looking at your photos.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree with your opinion on the issue on chaos. sometimes, we must bow to our fates.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Interesting one Rosa...havent heard of this one. Your pics are great as always!

    I hate winter....thought the spring will change things...but its eternally cold!

    ReplyDelete
  31. simple, but stunning!! I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm not familiar with Tahinomelo but it sure is pretty. Your photography, as always, constantly amazes me Rosa.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've been trying to remember I can't control nature. I have a few plants outside that aren't looking as good as I'd like, and there's nothing I can do about it! I should sit back and enjoy this spread instead. Sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Brains do rhyme with rain... maybe that's how The Misfits came into your head? I love reading your blog! You aren't afraid to sit and do some actual writing, and make interesting analogies that I totally appreciate! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. periodo di pigrizia anche per me, blocco sia di scrittura che di foto, il cielo é grigio da settimane, piove e la luce manca e non c'é energia ma passerà...le tue foto sono stupende e la ricetta molto molto interessante che voglio proporre presto ai miei figli golosi di miele e di tahini e bisognosi di tanta energia.

    Ti auguro una felice domenica!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. i have some tahini, but i only ever use it for hummus; this is a great new thing for me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gorgeous pics as always,Rosa.I've never had Tahinomelo before, and now I'm curious about it :)Looks deliciously good!

    Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  38. Simplicity at its best, sound divine

    ReplyDelete
  39. Tes recettes sont toujours très originales et nous font découvrir d'incroyables produits.
    Bon dimanche et merci des tes visites.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Une recette qui pique ma curiosité: c'est la première fois que j'en entends parler... Tes photos sont toujours aussi sublimes! Bises...

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've heard of something like this in Izmir but haven't tried it yet. Thank you for the opportunity.

    I'm sorry that it is so grey for you. As always, your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Intriguing, I've never heard of this little snack.
    It has been raining forever here too.
    Have a great day, bisous,
    Cheers
    Mamatkamal

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've never had anything like this - looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  44. A wonderful recipe! Anything with tahini tastes delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Rosa es una receta muy original me encanta es irresistible,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I have always mixed tahini and grape or carob molasses, however, I am tempted to use honey next time! Love the photos, superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. j'aime ce post !
    bon week-end
    val de familyblog

    ReplyDelete
  48. Girl you have done very well in spite of the un-springy weather. Hang in there you know that great light is around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  49. So happy to find another use for tahini, as I always have some in the fridge. Love the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I usually find tahini a tad too bitter, but never thought of adding honey to it. I can't wait to try it! Fantastic idea, Rosa! Sorry it's been so rainy, but I actually love rainy days in the spring and summer - I find them soothing and the smell of the air is intoxicating. Weird, huh? lol

    ReplyDelete
  51. Taxini & honey are a healthy, yummy snack or breakfast item, great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Pour quelqu'un qui manque d'inspiration tu te debrouilles plutot bien je trouve. Les photos et la recette sont tres inpirantes.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love this quote: You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.
    - Brian Tracy

    You're so right it's that feeling of helplessness that just doesn't sit well with us.

    ReplyDelete
  54. This looks wonderful. I've been having writer's blocks too. You seem to have overcome yours with simplicity, these look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I agree with artists being busy with a little hectic lol. Great dish Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Simplicity at its best! I guess the quality of honey plays the important role.

    ReplyDelete
  57. The photos are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Mahlab is one of my favorite spices and I'm always looking for new ways to use it -- this sounds sublime, Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Oh! I never had anything like this spread...simple and yet sounds so tasty...
    Beautiful pictures as always Rosa...hope you have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  60. But you have brought in beautiful bright sunshine via your photographs and the awesome combo of tahini and honey! Such an unique combo.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I'm always in awe of your gorgeous photos! And this spread...Whoaaaa!!! Sounds incredibly addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Wow, I remember when that song came out (now I've surely dated myself). Another thoughtful post, this is why they take you so long. It is so good to have sunshine back...it is my best mood lifter.

    Although I use tahini, I've never heard of mahlab...I went and looked it up, I will have to hunt for some and experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  63. One of my favorite quotes rings close to what you shared in the post. 'You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star' - from Friedrich Nietzsche. Loving your refined taste of Tahini. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  64. I've never tired Tahinomelo before but your pictures are drool inducing and should surely be given a try soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  65. Tahinomelo ~ Sounds exotic as the photos... love it

    ReplyDelete
  66. It sounds like a very quick, easy and healthy dessert, indeed. I have never heard about it (as you have predicted). I'm also very happy the sun is finally there!

    ReplyDelete
  67. J'ai trouvé une autre utilisation au tahini... Belle découverte.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I too get very frustrated when it rains non stop! This a very interesting spend .. would love to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  69. excellent shots.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Simplicity is best.
    Glen Danzig, where are the days... :)

    ReplyDelete
  71. C'est un joli champ de vigne. cette recette des iles est délicieuse j'espère qu'elle m'apportera le soleil
    Je te souhaite une belle soirée
    Valérie

    ReplyDelete
  72. Je découvre et ça m'a l'air simple et délicieux !
    Bises.
    Muriel

    ReplyDelete
  73. Such elegance in simplicity. This is new to me but would love to spread it on my morning toast or with some crepes. Beautiful photos Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Some of my simplest recipes are the tastiest! Some beautiful pictures in your post today.

    We get a mix of sun and rain. Cloudy right now and a tad chilly!

    ReplyDelete
  75. I've never heard of tahinomelo but thank you for introducing me to it. It looks amazing. Gorgeous photos as always Rosa :D

    ReplyDelete
  76. Rosa, your thoughts about our destiny reminds me of a book I am translating right now. its a german book called Sprachmagie and the author pretty much explained in a chapter the same words as yours about our destiny.

    wise words rosa, wise words...

    I know Tahini but tahinomelo is knew to me and Mahlab anyway too. Mediterranian food brightens up the day in europe, isnt it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  77. Beautiful photos sweetie -- the light is there, and you are great in capturing it in the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  78. Rosa...your version of this recipe is a close second to the stunning capture of that magnolia flower...to be framed for sure!

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  79. My goodness, the sauce sounds too good. How I wish I can have some of it! Your photos are stunning.
    Hoe you're having a great day, Rosa.
    Blessings
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  80. In Greece they also sell it ready made mixed with honey. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  81. What a yummy sounding spread. I'd not heard of it before and have some mahlab in the kitchen that I must have been saving just for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete