Friday, May 3, 2013

SWEDISH VISITING CAKE WITH BLACKBERRIES AND COCONUT FLOUR & A REVIEW OF GRANISTYL'S SKILLET PAN - GÂTEAU SUÉDOIS AUX MÛRES ET À LA FARINE DE NOIX COCO & TEST DE LA POÊLE GRANISTYL EN GRANITE

Swedish Visiting Cake 5 4 bis
Frying Pan, n. One part of the penal apparatus employed in that punitive institution, a woman's kitchen.
- Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914), “The Devil's Dictionary” (1911)
Not on morality, but on cookery, let us build our stronghold: there brandishing our frying-pan, as censer, let us offer sweet incense to the Devil, and live at ease on the fat things he has provided for his elect!
- Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)
Like a majority of  health conscious home gastronomes and passionate food aficionados, I particularly cherish quality kitchen utensils that are effective and don't threaten my well-being. Unfortunately, in our modern society where profit is king and things are not made to last, it isn't always easy to come across products that offer all those characteristic and far too often, one has to spend a lot of money on goods that rarely hold up to their promises.

Sometimes, looking for the ideal cooking appliance is comparable to the quest for the Holy Grail and it seems that acquiring a reliable casserole is quasi mission impossible, unless you are wealthy (well, prices are no guarantee of excellence either) or you don't mind polluting your body with dangerous substances.

My most recent search for a durable and teflon-free pan that would fit my budget has been remarkably fruitless, hellish, enduring and tiring. Finding a suitable match proved exceptionally difficult and I nearly had a nervous breakdown during the process!

Nevertheless, positive surprises happen and once in a while we encounter something that gives us full satisfaction and that isn't actually a wortheless gadget or total rip-off. Thankfully, in March it was my turn to be (doubly) lucky as I finally purchased the cast-iron wok of my dreams (fortunately for me, this weighty baby was on sale) and was kindly offered a skillet fabricated by a French brand which has hit the market not long ago. I very seldom get to renew my cuisine equipment, so it felt spoilt rotten and dead happy!

Well, today I am not going to speak about my Chinese device (even if it rocks big time), however instead I have decided to showcase Granistyl's unique and revolutionary 24cm frying pan (a world premiere) which I've had the opportunity of sampling exclusively for you.

This innovative device is embedded with a 9mm layer of hyper resistant, nonstick and scratch-free granite (cut into the block). As a result, it is healthy (little oil is needed and it helps preserve the nutrients - vitamins and minerals - in the fares you are preparing) and non-toxic (natural surface versus Teflon). Also, it offers uniform temperature distribution through the bottom and side as well as retains the heat wonderfully (less energy is needed/used and it stays warm for a while). In addition to that it is compatible with standard stovetops (gas and electric), induction ranges and conventional ovens.

Granistyl's cookware is practical (a real workhorse), beneficial and built to last, nonetheless it has a few minor "flaws". As we all know, stone is heavy, hence manipulation isn't all that comfortable if you have weak wrists or arms (you can’t really toss anything in it, everything has to be flipped with a spatula). Besides the edges are not high enough and I find that quite limiting, plus even if the vessel gets cleaned without dificulty (washed with a hot water and a metal sponge - soap should be avoided), minimum maintainance is still required (oil massage following each use). Not to forget that it costs a substantial price, so it's not acessible to everyone. Anyhow, the advantages outnumber the disadvantages and, at the end, this skillet is worth the investement...

In order to put my eco-friendly pan to the test, I decided to bake Dorie Greenspan's famous "Swedish Visiting Cake" which I revisited by adding wild blackberries I foraged last August in the Geneva countryside and replacing part of the all-pupose flour with coconut flour - my new obssession - a friend of mine bought for me in neighboring France.

The pan worked wonders and my tea-time/after-dinner treat turned out perfectly in both texture and flavor; the balance between sweetness and acidity as well as the chewiness of the crumb and crispiness of the crust was spot on. A divinely buttery, heavenly lemony, fragrantly coconutty and moreishly moist delicacy which you'll rapidly grow addicted to!

Disclaimer: Please note that I was not paid to review this product and that I solely promote things which stay true to my tastes, convictions and interests. Hence, the opinions expressed on Rosa's Yummy Yums are purely my own and based upon my personal experiences with GRANISTYL.

Swedish Visiting Cake With Blackberries And Coconut Flour
Recipe adapted from Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From My Home To Yours".

Yields 8-10 servings.

Ingredients:

1 Cup (210g) Castor sugar
Grated zest of 1 organic lemon
2 Large eggs (~63g)
1/4 Tsp Fine sea salt
1 Tsp Pure vanilla extract
3/4 Cup (96g) All-purpose flour

1/4 Cup (32g) Coconut flour
120g (8 Tbs/1 stick) Unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Two good handfuls of frozen blackberries
About 1/4 Cup (30g) Sliced almonds
1/2 Tbs Castor sugar (for sprinkling)

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F).

2. Butter a seasoned 24cm (9-inch) cast-iron skillet or other heavy ovenproof skillet.
3.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Use your fingertips to work the zest into the sugar until it becomes moist and fragrant.
4. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time (whisking for about 30 seconds per egg).
5. Add in the salt and vanilla extract.

6. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flours. Then, incorporate the melted butter (do not to overmix).
7. Scrape 1/2 of the batter into the skillet, sprinkle with the blackberries and cover with the remaining batter. Smooth the top using a spatula.
8. Scatter the almonds over the batter and sprinkle with the extra sugar.
9. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tthe cake is golden and a little crisp on the outside (the center should remain a bit moist).

10. Remove the skillet from the oven and place on top of a cooling rack.
11. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Remarks:
You may also use a 24cm (9-inch) round cake or pie pan.
The blackberries can be replaced by the fresh or frozen berries of your choice or can be simply left out.

Serving suggestions:
Serve with a cup of coffee or a glass of liquor wine.

Gâteau Suédois Au Mûres Et À La Farine De Coco 
Recette adaptée du livre "Baking: From My Home To Yours" par Dorie Greenspan.

Pour 8-10 personnes.

Ingrédients:
210g de Sucre cristallisé
Le zeste d'un citron bio
2 Gros oeufs (~63g)
1/4 CC de Sel de mer fin
1 CC d'Extrait de vanille pure
96g de Farine

32g de Farine de noix de coco
120g de Beurre non-salé, fondu et à température ambiante

Deux bonnes poignées de mûres congelées
Environ 30g d'Amandes éffilées
1/2 CS de Sucre cristallisé (pour saupoudrer)


Méthode:
1. Préchauffer le four à 180 ° C.
2. Beurrer une poêle en fonte de 24cm.
3. Dans un grand bol, mélanger ensemble le sucre et le zeste de citron. Utilisez vos doigts pour travailler le zeste dans le sucre jusqu'à ce que ce dernier devienne humide et parfumé.
4. Ajouter les œufs, un à la fois, en fouettant pendant environ 30 secondes après chaque ajout.
5. Incorporer le sel et l'extrait de vanille.


Swedish Visiting Cake 3 5 bis
6. A l'aide d'une spatule en caoutchouc, incorporer les farines, puis le beurre fondu (ne pas trop mélanger).
7. Verser la moitié de la pâte dans la poêle, saupoudrer avec les mûres et recouvrir avec le reste de la pâte. Lisser le dessus du gâteau avec une spatule.
8. Disperser les amandes sur le dessus du gâteau et saupoudrer avec le sucre.
9. Cuire au four pendant 25 à 30 minutes, ou jusqu'à ce que le gâteau soit doré et légèrement croustillants à l'extérieur (le centre doit rester un peu humide).
10. Retirer la poêle du four et la placer sur une grille de refroidissement.
11. Servir chaud ou à température ambiante.

Remarques:
Vous pouvez également utiliser un moule (rond) à gâteau conventionnel de 24cm.

Les mûres peuvent être remplacées par les baies fraîches ou congelées de votre choix ou bien même ne pas être utilisées du tout.

Suggestions d'accompagnement:
Servir avec une tasse de café ou un verre de vin liquoureux.

97 comments:

  1. Delicious cake! I am crazy for blackberries, especially those hand-picked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely spectacular!

    I have a Tatin pan that could work for this, I suppose...

    I am tempted to try it this weekend, if I have time to bake a little.

    very beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning pic... yummy cake... I loved every detail of the pics..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quality kitchen tools are a must and it looks like you've found a new one to cherish. This beautiful cake is something I would love to have with my morning and afternoon tea. Beautiful images, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In love with the berry-pic and the cake as well! Could be perfect for my weekend!
    Hugs,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are really poetic.
    The Swedish Visiting Cake is on my list for cake to do asap. Looking yours, it jumps to the 1st position :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a very good blog, but I'm sure you know that. Appetizing recipes and amazing photos.
    Great recipe, I love the coconut and blackberries. The cake looks wonderfully moist and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely cake and stunning pics...I love the berry picture a lot

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beauty! As the snow falls here - I am looking for a sweet pick-me-up and have many blackberries. Looking for pans can be difficult - but rewarding when you find exactly what you want!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Rosa all this look georgepus, tha blackberries, the cake, the pics I love the book, amazing Rosa, have a nice weekend!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such love,y photography!!! Loved the shot of the coffee and book. It's a great still life :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Des photos qui font de ce billet un "exceptionnel" !!! et un gâteau qui me donne l'eau à la bouche....
    bon weekend ! bises Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely cake. I'd love to visit and have a slice of this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Le livre et le café me comblent; même pas besoin du reste!
    Mais... je prends tout! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Un billet plus que mis en valeur par tes clichés à couper le souffle !
    Et ce gâteau que je vais m'empresser de réaliser ...
    Merci Rosa et bon week end,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photos are just so beautiful!! They tell a story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha! Love the first quote! :D
    This rendition of Dorie's cake sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am now dying to get a hold of this pan! what a clever and original idea! sounds so exciting to use. love the wild blackberries you used here (we have them in the 'hood here and last summer I ate a whole bunch ). love the photos most of all, they convey a unique atmosphere, a bit surreal, dreamy and evanescent.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely awesome, Rosa, it looks very moist and tender! I'm a BIG fan of all kinds of cakes, and this one with mixed lemon-coconut-berry flavours is soooo appetizing :-)
    Maybe I'll just change blackberries for strawberries or cherries.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Quality kitchen tools and pans are the only way to go. Lovely cake Rosa and a great way to celebrate the love of a new pan.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an interesting pan Rosa! Thanks for your review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. that is one super-moist cake, rosa! i love every aspect of this one--thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My father always says: Back in the day you would buy a light bulb and it would last you years and nowadays nothing lasts you 5 months!
    The same with everything else being manufactured. Sold at a high price and doesn't even guarantee you that it's healthy or that it will last!

    I will probably make this cake during the week for my mom at the hospital! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this cake - look how beautiful and delectible. I adore blackberries and would love to try this cake as you made it. I must look for coconut flour! I have never seen it! This really is a lovely cake (perfect for visitors!) And I love this set of photos, Rosa! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm reluctant to pans with a bottom from stone, because the material is very porous.
    Liebe Grüsse, Robert

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such pretty photos, especially the one with the open book in the background and a cup of coffee in the foreground. The photo of the tulip is stunning - pinning it to my Spring board!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a wonderful cake! I love your photography as well as blackberries! :)http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. looks so delicious and your pictures are always amazing. You must make a post with some tips "how to make this wonderful pictures" ;)

    http://www.cristinasurdu.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stunning pictures and those blackberries look gorgeous! Lovely cake and great recipe. Have a nice weekend Rosa and thanks for sharing.
    Cheers
    Mamat

    ReplyDelete
  30. J'aime tellement ton blog, les photos sont toujours pleines de charmes, avec leur ton sépia ou saturé. J'adore ce gâteau il a l'air tellement simple et moelleux à la fois :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. The cake is beautiful and so is the calming scene you've set to go with it! Looks wonderful, Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful visiting cake & I love that name....lovely clicks ~ especially those blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really love the styling here!

    ReplyDelete
  34. so jel of these pictures, theyre so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh! this looks really yummy! And I love the photo of the frozen blackberries. I can't wait for the berry season :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Incroyable cette casserole ! N'est-elle pas trop envahissante et lourde ?
    verO

    ReplyDelete
  37. Tes photos sont si belles... les tulipes, j'adore les tulipes! Ton gâteau a l'air extra!

    ReplyDelete
  38. The pan looks fab but if there's no saute pan it would be no good for us. The cake also looks amazing - I've got to get me some of this coconut flour!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That cake is a beauty! Great pictures. And it sounds like the pan is a beauty, too. I've not heard of this, but it sounds interesting. Although not being able to flip things would be a bummer. Anyway, good post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a lovely cake, I like the blackberries and coconut combo!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Such a light and refreshing cake! Rosa your work is always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Tu as raison, de bons ustensiles que l'on aime utiliser font toute la différence pour le cuisinier. Quant à ton gâteau, il est très élégant. J'ai acheté un paquet de farine de coco dont je ne savais trop quoi faire. Voilà le moment de l'utiliser, je pense. Il faut que je ressorte ce gros livre de Dorie Greenspan ... C'est une mine de délices ...

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love your pans. I don't have anything cast iron and I keep shopping to find the right one. You could visit me anytime with that cake. :) I even have a lovely guestroom for the stopover.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a lovely cake. Absolutely love the photos, Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a great cake and interesting device. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Blackberries are my favourite. When you made this cake it reminds me that I have some in the deep dark recesses of my freezer. The pans also sound like something I would love to try once they cross the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  47. the cake looks exquisite Rosa, and I am with you on how ridiculously expensive some cast iron stuffs are! The skillet is gorgeous, lucky you on the sale!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I've been working so hard these past few days and now I want to unwind with this cake! Love that you used coconut flour here. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I remember my mum having some funky pan in the 80s you could bake cakes in on the stove top....wonder what happened to it!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Ton gâteau me fait vraiment de l'oeil... Il a l'air fondant à souhait... Tes photos sont sublimes, (comme d'habitude remarque...). Mais je ne pouvais m'empêcher de te le dire à nouveau...
    Bises bises Rosa et à bientôt
    Cath

    PS : tu arrives encore à dormir la nuit ? ;) hihi

    ReplyDelete
  51. Cake looks delicious and very airy and light!

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a lovely and simple cake...it must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  53. rosa it is hard to find good utensils these days. my grand mother still uses her 40 yr old utensils and iam plain jealous cuz they are still the best and finest of the kind. I loved the berry pic they look so amazing . I am so glad to be ure fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Very moist looking cake. Sounds just perfect!
    Have a good day Rosa,

    Yelena

    ReplyDelete
  55. Thanks for writing about your cookware. I'm looking for good and safe cookware, too. I'll look into what you've mentioned. I love your delicious-looking cake. Those tulips are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  56. This cake looks gorgeous - the combination of coconut flour, blackberries and almonds sounds irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I would love to bake that cake so much. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I bought my first iron pan lately and I love it. We're very happy together. And I like this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Gorgeous pictures Rosa, and the cake looks delicious...like the coconut flour and the blackberries...yum!
    Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  60. Gorgeous bake and beautiful photos :D

    ReplyDelete
  61. funny thing about coconur fluor is actually most of them are product of Indonesia, but rarely seen around here...
    those goodness are exported.
    btw, ehat kind of camera that u use Rossa???

    ReplyDelete
  62. The texture of the cake looks lovely! Love those berries speckled throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  63. comme toujours recette et photos magnifiques

    ReplyDelete
  64. Your photographs are so beautiful, as usual Rosa! Love the moistness and delicate flavours in this cake. I have family in Sweden. My uncle baked me something similar to this a couple of years ago, so just seeing the photographs makes me feel sentimental! Thanks for the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  65. Also called Visitation Cake, right? I made that last year...loved it. Super idea with the blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Hi Rosa, this cake looks lovely. And I do like the name...visiting cake sounds so elegant! Thank you for sharing this recipe and your review of that skillet pan!

    ReplyDelete
  67. This is a gorgeous cake! A perfect treat to try your new pan! I'm still in search for a good iron pan; here all of them are in grill style but I want a plain one.

    ReplyDelete
  68. awesome photography especially the one before the recipe instructions. It all brought this recipe to life. Can't get enough of blackberries - my fav. So much more plump and juicy than raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Gâteau suédois, peut être que j'ai dû le goûter ici à Stockholm! En tout cas ce moelleux est irrésistible!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Could I use dry grated coconut or the texture has to be like powder? This cake is gorgeous and amazing and the 2 flavors should be incredible together.
    I'm falling in love every single time with your pics.
    Baci,
    PAt

    ReplyDelete
  71. A scrumptious cake and awesome clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  72. I really really love coconut flavor and you make me dream about this cake! It looks so good... just thinking about it makes me drool. I can easily finish half of the cake by myself (at one sitting!). As always your photography inspires me!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Rosa, you've concocted a wonderful combination of flavors. This cake looks amazing. I truly enjoy your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  74. lovely flavor combination here Rosa and as always I love your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Je suis toujours en admiration de devant tes photos Rosa. Ce gâteau a l'air si fondant.

    ReplyDelete
  76. C'est pour moi une découverte la farine de coco.
    Superbe, comme d'hab.
    @+++

    ReplyDelete
  77. wow great cake and amazing photo's with the coffee and the book talented as always

    ReplyDelete
  78. L'accord entre farine de noix de coco et myrtilles doit être sublime, tout en douceur, ton gâteau me tente vraiment!
    Et ces images, de plus en plus belles, paisibles, sensibles, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  79. I love any cake with almonds in it. This one, coupled with the coconut in it, is going to the top of my "must bake'' list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  80. Such fantastic flavors, Rosa. Love this BLACKBERRIES AND COCONUT FLOUR combination.

    ReplyDelete
  81. Rosa I love your pictures!
    What an eye for beauty, lightening and ambiance.
    The cake looks delicious, great combination of flavors :)

    ReplyDelete
  82. I wish I had a slice of this cake to snack on right now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  83. This cake looks like a very yummy classic butter cake. The pan sounds pretty neat too! I will keep my eyes peeled for it.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Looks absolutely divine! I would so love to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  85. I am sure this cake tasted amazing. I love the fact you use coconut flour, kind of new to me. Your photos are breathless as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  86. Dear Rosa, your cake sounds exquisite, I love the name and the images are stunning, as always. I love that you forage for berries too xo

    ReplyDelete
  87. Il me reste des nures au congelateur, je viens de leur trouver un usage, merci Rosa :)

    ReplyDelete
  88. Hi Rosa and thanks for this post, it's a gorgeous feast of the senses!
    I must have a try, I love the combinations of flavours here!
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  89. Another beautiful recipe and stunning photos. Sounds like an incredible kitchen tool you have there - baking a cake in a pan is something I definitely have to try one day!

    ReplyDelete
  90. What an interesting idea. lining a frying pan with granite - I am officially intrigued! But as you say, it must be ridiculously heavy. Still, it made a pretty awesome cake! I love freezing foraged berries for use throughout the year...

    ReplyDelete
  91. Il est vraiment appétissant ton gâteau avec cette texture fondante!
    Avec les mûres en plus quel délice!

    ReplyDelete
  92. Gee, I'd love to be a guest at your house! Or at least, a nosy neighbor.

    ReplyDelete