Friday, August 13, 2010

CREAMED SEAWEED WITH LEMON - ALGUES

Seaweed Picnik collage 1 bis
I have had a very bad experience with seaweed and until not too long ago the sheer thought of eating that sea veggie gave me shivers. After having had a very bad encounter with seaweed in the past I have never trusted myself to give it another try...

Well, you have to know that the reason why seaweed repulsed me to highest point and made me feel unsecure is due to the fact that when I was a child I was forced to take kelp tablets. As I could not swallow
them they were crushed with littel jam. That combination was absolutely horrid! It took me hours to get that mixture down and I had to struggle a lot in order to finish it. That episode traumatized me and from then on seaweed became a taboo subject.

Anyway I am a daring person who likes to try out new things (well, maybe not ALL things), so when my friend Corinne proposed to give me a box of mixed seaweeds
I could not refuse her offer. There was no way I was going to chicken out. I had to make my own experiences with those sea plants that are highly nutritious, healthy and extremely abundant.

"Love is like seaweed;
even if you have pushed it away, you will not prevent it from comin
g back"
- Nigerian proverb

As a matter of fact, apart from being interesting culinary-wise, the health benefits of seaweed are plenty. All of the minerals we need are present in sufficient amount and they contain many trace elements as well as vitamins. Certain seaweeds are up to 30 times higher in minerals than land food and can cleanse the body of toxic polluants (brown algae). They are also good for the hair (growth, shininess, thickness...), the mental health and the metabolism, they help regulate the hormones, awaken sexual desire, enrich the bloodstream and give a youthful skin color. A perfectly balanced natural food; Mother Nature's gift. Da bomb indeed!

Well, as I am not acquainted with that special vegetable gro
wing in our seas I did not know how I should use it. After a little research on the net I found out that it was not difficult to cook with seaweed since it can be prepared just like any other veggie. As it somewhow reminds me of spinach I decided to prepare it in the same way as that plant. If we can make creamed spinach why can't we also make "Creamed Seaweed With Lemon"?

The result was fantastic! The garlic and shallots bro
ught lots of flavor to that dish, the lemon took away some of the smelliness/fishiness of the seaweed and the cream added a little roundness to it all. It wasn't bad at all!

I must say that my "Creamed Seaweed With Lemon" had a refined taste and was very enjoyable. Something I will definitely try again and again.

Seaweed Picnik collage 2 bis
~ Creamed Seaweed With Lemon ~
Recipe by Rosa @ Rosa's Yummy Yums 2010.

Ingredients:
1 Shallot, finely chopped
1 Clove garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbs Unsalted butter
2 Cups Mixed seaweed (brown, green and red seaweed/dulse, kelp, wakame), thouroughly washed & chopped coarsely
The juice of 1/2 lemon (or to taste)
5 Tbs Double cream
Sea salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

Method:
1. Over medium high melt the butter and let it brown.
2. Add the shallot and fry for about 1 minute, then add the garlic and fry for another 1 -2 minute (the shallots have to be transluscent).
3. Add the seaweed and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the lemon, stir fry for another minute.
5. Add the cream, season to taste, mix well and cook for 1 minute more.
6. Serve.

Seaweed Picnik collage 4 bis
Remarks:
You can use one small onion instead of a shallot.
The cream can be replaced by light cream or cream cheese (use 4 Tbs instead of 5 Tbs)

Serving suggestions:
Serve as side dish together with fried/steamed fish (salmon, trout, tilapia, tuna, etc... ) or fried/poached/scrambled eggs (or omelet) and boiled/fried potatoes or rice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seaweed Picnik collage 3 bis
~ Algues Au Citron Et A La Crème ~
Recette par Rosa @ Rosa's Yummy Yums 2010.

Ingrédients:
1 Echalotte, finament hachée

1 Gousse d'ail, finement hachée
1 CS (15g) de Beurre non-salé
100g (2 tasses) d'Algues mixtes (brunes, vertes er rouges/dulse, kelp, wakame), lavées et coupées en morceaux grossiers

Le jus d'un demi citron
(ou selon goût)
5 CS de Crème double
Sel de mer, selon goût

Poivre, selon goût

Seaweed Picnik collage 6 bis
Méthode:
1. A feu moyennement élevé, faire fondre le beurre et le laisser brunir afin d'obtenir un beurre noisette.
2. Ajouter l'échalotte et faire revenir pendant 1 minute, puis ajouter l'ail et faire revenir pendant 1 à 2 minutes supplémentaires (les échalottes doivent être translucides).

3. Ajouter les algues et les cuire pendant 2 minutes, tout en remuant.

4. Ajouter le citron et faire cuire pendant une autre minute sans cesser de remuer.

5. Ajouter la crème et assaisonner et faire cuire 1 minute supplémentai
re en oubliant pas de bien remuer.
6. Servir.


Remarques:
L'échalotte peut être remplacée par un petit oignon blanc et la crème double par de la crème légère ou du fromage frais Philadelphia (4 CS au lieu de 5 CS).

Idées de présentation:
Servir avec du poisson frit/cuit à la vapeure (saumon, truite, tilapia, thon, etc...) ou des oeufs au plat/pochés/brouillés (ou de l'omelette) et des pommes de terre cuites à l'eau/grillées ou du riz.

Seaweed Picnik collage 5 bis

76 comments:

  1. Ohhh Original et très étonnant pour moi Rosa, ça me tente beaucoup et le côté Healty m'attire énormément aussi ...
    Jolies Photos comme toujours !
    Bon week-end ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely clicks Rosa! Like the sunset click with the riots of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je n'aime pas les algues, par contre sur tes photos ca donne envie d'essayer !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful recipe Rosa, it reminds me of those childhood memory when I was a kid. The seaweed, we called this "bulung" in Balinese language, was a fresh seaweed right out from the ocean that my parent, sisters, and I would gathered together. We did on the weekend, we'd go all the way in the middle of the ocean when the tide were low. My sisters and I would be singing out loud. Then, we'd brought this to my grand mother's house, she would toasted fresh coconut, and made spices to go with it. The seaweed was eaten fresh or uncooked. The main ingredient would be galangga. They used to even sell this dish "bulung salad" on the beach. Not sure if people in Bali still picking up this fresh seaweed now days. I never even seen bulung vendor on the beach anymore, such a shame.

    Anyway, your recipe sounds delectable, and love that proverb. It is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me dream with your flying recipes! I wish I could share with you some of your plates at this foodies picnic! Which is unfortunately a bit too far away from me..

    ReplyDelete
  6. bravo Rosa !! super ! anything else you are scared to try ;)
    A bientot !
    corinne

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are really brave! I guess, if I had such childhood memories, I wouldn't touch seaweed ever again! Maybe one day I am gonna give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried seaweed in this preparation, very unique and sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh!lovely clicks n healthy recipes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beauty and delicious Rosa!! Have a lovely weekend! xx gloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. i try it! looks delicious:) yumyum :)

    ps: heyyy honey, did you get my e-mail ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. So interesting, Rosa! :-) I know seaweed is VERY good for you, but I really haven't known what to do with it apart from sushi. Thanks for this recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohhhh toujours aussi merveilleux !
    merci

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the idea of the seaweed with the fish serving (tilapia). Yum!

    I like the latest song on your sidebar but I don't see the name of it....

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love seaweed. This looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. yum! who knew seaweed could be so appetizing!?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually find you very daring, culinary wise! I love coming to your blog and finding unusual ingredients and exotic dishes. This one is certainly intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Rosa, this is a great dish. I'm going to show it to my Mom, as I believe seaweed helps people with thyroid problems. She'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Je n'ai jamais mangé d'algues, mais je trouve que ton plat a l'air vraiment délicieux!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like seaweed too! This is a new way to prepare them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I keep thinking I should try using more seaweed. This looks like a great way to serve it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It seems easy and delicious, but never tried seaweed yet...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like seaweed lots this one looks delicious. nice to have with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, I can`t stop looking at these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Rosa,

    I'm very curious how it tasted... I have never tried fresh sea weed yet, only dried one / sushi wraps...

    Hope you are enjoying your weekend, Margot

    ReplyDelete
  26. your dish looks amazing,rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I never have eaten seaweed prepared in this way, looks great, I can imagine how well your dish tastes. We always have Nori sheets at home, sometimes I use Wakame, others I have never seen in shops around here. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an interesting recipe! I actually really like seaweed so intrigued to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am very glad you are a daring person, I don`t think I would have even try to give it a second chance having had such experience at childhood.
    As always your work and Blog is an absolute pleasure to visit and see.
    Lovely photos and colours ♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bravo for moving past the unpleasant memories and forging forward. A fantastic dish, I adore seaweed but would not have thought to use it in such a dish. Splendid :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. you know what, i'm going to make this just now for lunch. We have packetsof dried seaweed, a gift from our departing healthy brother, that I had no idea how to use. tell you how it goes but i already think its going to be yummy. - krsta

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can just imagine the taste of that seaweed in a tablet mixed with jam! enough to traumatize anyone! This dish though is lovely and light and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Encore des a priori moi aussi, mais why not!:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. un petit coucou de passage

    bon dimanche rosaaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very interesting recipe! Love seaweed!

    ReplyDelete
  36. As a landlubber, I have never tried seaweed. I would prefer to make it from pieces of leek. Liebe Grüsse.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, i would have never thought to do this, but it looks like a success! Thanks for sharing the health benefits of seaweed too, it is such a great superfood.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Absolutely enticing. All the health and mental properties of seaweed are news to me! And I love me some seaweed! Nice, nice work, Rosa girl!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Vraiment une bonne et heureuse idée très iodée et originale... et le plus, chez toi, l'enchantement des photos magnifiques partout où tu passes... bises

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am so impressed that you gave this a shot. Your experience is something like my cod liver oil experience as a kid, which pushed me over the brink and made me hate anything fish. I am inspired by your story, and post... the seaweed dish sounds light and flavourful! How very creative. Well done Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I would eat all of them! :) lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have only ever had seaweed wrapped around sushi, but if given the opportunity I would give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Creamed spinach goes swimmming in the ocean - I love it, so unique and I've never heard of seaweed prepared that way! AWESOMELY gorgeous photos too - as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Happy you could reverse the memory of seaweed. Its an unusual recipe, but one I would be tempted to try.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Seaweed is such a healthy food, I would love to eat more of it! It looks perfect in this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  46. There are a couple of things I still have a hang up about eating - a throwback from my childhood when my parents would force us to eat things that were 'good for us'. Luckily seaweed isn't one of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Kelp tablets and littel jam....sounds horrible! I used to have to swallow crushed tablets-normal tablets that it- because I couldn't swallow them whole. That was traumatic enough......
    But that sounds like nothing compared to kelp tablets.....

    Luckily I've had good experiences with seaweed =D I've always loved it. I usually eat it in an asian salad I think.....but this looks like a really delicious way of cooking it!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Waooow ce doit être un pur délice!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. C'est etonnant, je n'aurais jamais pense qu'on puisse les cuisiner comme un legume. Mais pourquoi pas, evidemment, ca doit etre tres bon avec un poisson.

    ReplyDelete
  50. A chaque coup tu m'impressionne !!!! Bravo ! Bises !

    ReplyDelete
  51. Rosa...if I'm served in a very reputable Asian restaurant...I will usually have a seaweed salad...especially if there's a slight sweetness to it.
    I've personally never made it myself.

    Gorgeous, dreamy photos ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love the sound of this salad, cannot wait to try it, and of course with such brilliant photographs may just want to stare

    ReplyDelete
  53. What a gorgeous dish and love that cloudy sky.

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a fascinating dish. It's a been a long time since I've come across such a unique dish that's totally unfamiliar to me. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Very original. I adore seaweed and cook it often. Always great to see another angle, I would never have thought of. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Ah seaweed.... I understand your reluctance to try as I haven't had much look in eating tasty seaweed sofar, but your recipe does sounds delicious and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Rosa, I love this salad...and the lemon must be so tasty with the seaweeds...beautiful pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  58. I'm glad you overcame your fear! Try miso soup next. ;) (just kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Sorry to read you had awful experiences with seaweed as a kid. Looks like you have gotten over that with this very creative, delicious looking recipe! xo

    ReplyDelete
  60. mmm, never thought about eating seaweed like that. gorgeous sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  61. great idea and good for you trying, and creamed oh goodness that's the way to go..

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  62. I've never tried seaweed but it actually looks pretty good. Enjoy your vacation, looking forward to your creative pictures, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Yum! Seaweed never looked so good!

    ReplyDelete
  64. I love seaweed. But with cream? Never would have thunk it! Sounds fab, though.

    ReplyDelete
  65. J'adore l'idée. Jolie découverte du jour. Plus qu'à commander des algues à mon poissonnier.
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  66. That's such an interesting looking recipe Rosa! I'm so used to seeing Japanese style seaweed!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Gorgeous, Rosa! I love seaweed!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Wow the pictures are amazing Rosa and I Love seaweed in Omelette and stir fries..I really miss the Seaweed snack here...

    ReplyDelete
  69. Seaweed is also not my thing... but learning about the health benefits that you mentioned, maybe I should give it another chance :-)

    Delicious captures of seaweed, btw!

    Sawadee from bangkok,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  70. Une recette originale qui a tout pour me plaire !

    ReplyDelete
  71. very interesting, I've never had this kind of salad...would love to try those ingredients...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  72. I never would have thought of this. Sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete