Sunday, November 15, 2009

FROSTED SPICY ROCK CAKES

At the moment, with my new job which I have just started and the challenge it represents (I'll soon post about it), I don't have much time left to blog or cook/bake. And with the light fading away earlier every day, I don't really have the opportunity to take good pictures, thus making things even more difficult...

Lately, finding an interesting and original recipe that could be prepared in a whizz has not been an easy task. My work obliges me to think about baked goods on a daily basis, so you can imagine that when I come back home, the last thing I can think about (or want to think about, as a matter of fact) is food. When Friday arrives, I have no ideas left!

Anyway, after scratching my head and going through my cookery books as well as every possible site or blog, I have finally found a recipe that is both simple to make, worth the attention and that brings me back to childhood.

As I'm going through a "back to the roots" phaze and want to learn more about my second country of origin's culinary habits and recipes, I decided to blog ab
out a treat that has always held a important place in my heart as it's linked to my English grandparents and to wonderful memories I have of my summer holidays in Belper (Derbyshire) and Stratford-Upon-Avon (Warwickshire).

Spending my holidays in England was the highlight of the year. Not only did I get to see many beautiful places and discover wonderful custums, but it was also the opportunity for me to stay with my grandparents whom I only got to see once a year.

My grandmother has always been a great cook and baker. She loves making homemade meals and refused to buy anything processed. Both my grandparents managed two youth hostels (they were the wardens) and there my grandmother's knowledge as well as skills were very helpful when it came to preparing food for crowds and being the big boss in the kitchen. My grandfather also played an important role. He was a great "sous chef" and peeled, grated and chopped vegetables like a pro. Together they worked like a team.

When they retired, my grandmother decided to join the "Women's Institute" and baked for the WI market which was held twice a week. Then again, both worked hand in hand and they produced astronomical quantities of scones, Bakewell tarts, bread loaves, quiches, fruit cakes, Eccles cakes, mince pies, etc... Seeing them work busily in their tiny cottage kitchen was amazing!

The baked goods they produced were perfect and as good as in any bakery. One special treat I particularly loved (and still do) was "Rock Cake". As a child this name made me giggle and the looks of that "cake" amused me!

"Rock Cakes" are hybrid cookies that contain dried fruits as well as spices and share similarities with scones and fruit cake. Their rough surface makes them look like rocks, hence their unique name. This little treat originates from Great Britain, but is very popular in various parts of the world. As they are very easy to make, "Rock Cakes" can be baked with children or if you are in a rush.

Tany Ramsay's (Gordon Ramsay's wife) recipe is different from the original. With it's spice mix and dried cranberries, this fall/winter version of "Rock Cakes" is terrific and can be made for all occasions, and especially during the end of year holidays (Thanksgiving or Christmas).

This irresistibly buttery, crumbly and soft tea treat is absolutely delightful, regressive to please and so satisfying! I love the simplicity of those "Rock Cakes" and their addictive old-fashioned taste that'll make you go back to the kitchen for more.

~ Rock Cakes ~
Recipe by Tana Ramsay and adapted by Rosa @ Rosa's Yummy Yums.

Makes 8 Rock Cakes.

Ingredients:
225g Plain flour
The zest of 2 organic oranges
50g Light brown sugar
1 Tsp Baking powder
1 Tsp Ground cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Ground nutmeg
1/4 Tsp Salt
100g Unsalted butter, softened
55g Dried cranberries
1 Large Egg, beaten
4 Tbs Milk
Ingredients for the frosting:
90g Confectioner's sugar
3-4 Tsp Milk


Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F) and cover the baking sheet with baking paper.
2.
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, zest, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Rub the butter into the flour mixture and add the dried cranberries.
3. Mix the beaten egg together with the milk.
4. Add this liquid mixture to the flour mixture and mix to a stiff dough.
5. Using a spoon or a ice cream scoop, make eight mounds out of the dough.
6. Place the mounds onto the baking sheet and bake for 10
-15 minutes until the tops are a light golden brown.
7. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the confectioner's sugar with the milk.
8. Remove from the oven, frost them immediately (with a brush) and cool on a rack.

Remarks:
Don't allow the Rock Cakes to overcook, as they will continue to cook slightly when taken out of the oven.

Serving suggestions:
Serve those "Rock Cakes" whenever you want and accompany with tea, coffee or cold milk.

***************

~ Rock Cakes ~
Recette par Tana Ramsay et adaptée par Rosa @ Rosa's Yummy Yums.

Pour 8 Rock Cakes.

Ingrédients:
100g Beurre non-salé, ramolli
225g Farine blanche
55g Cranberries séchées
Le zeste de 2 oranges bio
50g de Sucre brun clair
1 Gros oeuf
1 CC de Poudre à lever/cake
1 CC de Cannelle en poudre
1/4 CC de Noix de muscade moulue
4 CS de Lait
Ingrédients pour le glaçage:
90g de Sucre glace
3-4 CS de Lait

Méthode:
1. Précahuffer le four à 180° C et recouvrir la plaque avec du papier sulfurisé.
2. Dans un bol moyen, mélanger la farine, le zeste, le sucre, la poudre à lever et le sel. Mélanger du bout des doigts (comme pour une pâte sablée) le beurre pour l'écraser et l'incorporer dans les ingrédients secs, puis ajouter les cranberries.
3. Mélanger l'oeuf battu avec le lait.
4. Ajouter ce mélange au mélange sec et bien l'incorporer afin d'obtenir une pâte assez compacte.
5. A l'aide d'une cuillère ou de vos mains, former 8 tas avec la pâte.
6. Mettre ces tas sur la plaque et cuire pendant 10-15 minutes ou jusqu'à ce qu'ils soient dorés.
7. Pendant ce temps, dans un petit bol, mélanger ensemble le sucre en poudre avec le lait.
8. Sortir les Rock Cakes du four, les glacer à l'aide d'un pinceau à pâtisserie et les laisser refroidir sur une grille.

Remarques:
Etant donné que les Rock Ckaes continuent un peu à cuire une fois sortis du four, ne les cuisez pas trop longtemps.

Idées de présentation:
Servir les "Rock Cakes" accompagnés de thé, café ou de lait froid à toute heure de la journée.

96 comments:

  1. I did not know you had English roots Rosa. :-)

    I really like the galze on your rock cakes they look delicious.

    We call them rock buns too in some parts of the UK. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have wonderful memories, and your grandparents were a great team in the kitchen! These little cakes look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful reflections on your grandparents. What a lucky childhood. I hope the new job is going well. Dont stress but enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very delicious...
    I'm bookmarking this recipe & will make it this eid al adha...
    wishing you all the best with the new job rosa :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ça dont bien l'air bon ces Rock Cakes !! ça doit être succulent à l'heure du thé:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your rock cakes remind me of what we call scones here. Good luck with the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. itlooks yummt, specially with that glaze on top..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent a summer in the Stratford-Upon-Avon area when I was a teen because my God parents lived there. It was one of the best summers EVER.

    I can't wait to hear about your new job, Rosa! I clicked on the link and now I am really intrigued!

    The rock cakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm... I could go for breakfast with that! Ain't I a bad girl wanting pastries in the morning? Hey, sugar's my middle name!

    Those are very cute Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rosa,
    Congratulations on your new job and these cakes are gorgeous...
    iffet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merci pour ce partage, Rosa. Je prends, je prends... Et bonne chance pour la suite de tes aventures prof.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dein neuer Job bringt Dich nahe an dein Hobby. Liebe Grüsse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mum used to make rock cakes when I was little. I used to call the currants "dead flies". Your look much nicer with red fruit! Thank you for reminding me of this childhood treat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Rosa
    Congratulations on your new job.
    I have the same problem over here, as the days are now so short in England.
    You never stop amazing me with your beautiful recipes, they are absolutely awesome.
    Delicious.

    P.S. Many thanks for your emails, I am now feeling much better x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like cranberries very much so...these cakes are for me..

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love the name of these--they really do look like rocks, but it's obvious that their texture is anything but hard. what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those look fantastic. I love the glaze on top. Hope your new job is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your rock cakes Rosa, look wonderful, I really love the glaze!
    cheers

    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  19. Des belles galettes qui me font penser au temps des fêtes avec les canneberges. J'en prendrais bien une avec un bon thé

    Tourlou

    Ginette

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing some cherished memories Rosa. I hope your new job is going well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck with your new job - I can't wait to hear more about it soon. Thanks too for the lovely stories about Derbyshire and your grandparents; you describe everything so wonderfully that I can picture them working away in the kitchen. I haven't had rock cakes in years but now you made me feel nostalgic and I dying to try out your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ils ont l'air trop bons. Bon dimanche.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those beautiful time with your grant parent are memory to cherish.

    Lovely cake, interesting name for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tea time. Y'a pas à dire, ils sont doués en cuisine Chez Les Ramsay.
    Je comprends mieux maintenant d'où tu tiens ce talent inné pour la cuisine et la pâtisserie Rosa. Tes photos sont très belles comme d'habitude. Ah! Strafford, je me souviens de cette belle ville. J'avais eu le plaisir d'assister à la représentation d'une des pièces de William Shakespeare "the tempest".
    Bises et bonne fin de week-end

    ReplyDelete
  25. Merci pour ce joli souvenir d'enfance, ces rock cakes me font très envie, je note ta recette. Et bon courage pour cette nouvelle semaine. bises

    ReplyDelete
  26. hyummmmmmmmmmmmmm

    je prend

    bon dilache

    ReplyDelete
  27. ultra tentants , et trop jolis, merci pour cette recette !! Bonne fin de dimanche :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Je te souhaite tout le bonheur possible dans ton nouveau job.
    Je note la recette de ces gâteaux.
    Les photos sont très belles comme d'hab.
    Bon dimanche Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ciao Rosa ! Allora : wonderful imagining your dear grandparents working together and great recipe too ! I'm very curious about your job ??? Auguri !!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rock cakes are a favourite here in the Caribbean where they usually have coconut in them. Your pictures of this lovely treat are yummy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats on the new job...and I so feel you about the fading light, or shall I say I did till I discovered my stove-top light was giving me good enough results....though I see that I've slowed down with the fading light of day

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats Rosa!

    This is beautiful.. & would want to have some with my tea right now!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations on your new job! Love the memories you shared and those little cookies look amazing. They do look a bit like cookies we have here although not sure if the flavor would be the same!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely! Perfect for tea time.
    Congrats on your new job!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Interesting name for the cakes. I enjoyed reading about your grandparents. Congrats on your new job.

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  36. Can't wait to know more about your new job!!

    I've got a pic with Tana Ramsay & me from last year :) She's really nice! I haven't tried any recipe from her, not yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I loved reading a little bit more about you Rosa! And thanks for sharing these delicious looking rock cakes, they do remind me of childhood. My grandma made rock cakes too but she wasn't English :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I grew up with Rock Cakes, too. I agree, they are quick, simple and delicious. I didn't realise you had a British connection?? My parents are English, and moved to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Something as English as English can be when it comes to tea time ;) I've been to the summer holidays you mentioned and will never forget my 'English roots' too because I have a 'Godma' that is from Birmingham.

    Despite your busy time you blogged...that's fantastic Rosa and thanks for being the first to comment as usual.

    Cheers :D

    ReplyDelete
  40. These are really gorgeous!! I will definitely try making them!! thanks Rosa!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Ot's wonderful hearing people reminisce about their childhood years...yours sound like a lot of fun, especially with your grandparents. We have rock cakes here in Australia too but I love yours with the addition of spices and that yummy glaze...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ils doivent etre bons ces petits gâteaux avec les cranberries!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Tes photos me font très envie !!!
    Tu commences très bien la semaine avec ces petites gourmandises !
    Bisous, Doria

    ReplyDelete
  44. Elles me plaisent beaucoup ces petites gourmandises ;)
    Bonne semaine à toi Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Rosa,

    This has got to be one of the best looking treats I've seen in my naked eyes. SOOO SOO darn good and looks sooo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  46. English grandparents very interesting yes rock cakes are very popular in Australia. Yours look wonderful and a great glaze you have on them. And a new job cannot wait for the post on this. cheers from Audax in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Tes jolis souvenirs font de bien jolis gateaux. Et felicitations pour le nouveau job.

    ReplyDelete
  48. tes photos ont une température de couleur magnifique !

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love this post, Rosa.
    You call them rocks, I call them scones or biscuits. Under any name, I love them. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Congratulations for your new job! Et ces biscuits sont d'un gourmand, je les sens presque croustiller :-) Bises

    ReplyDelete
  51. what lovely memories! I'm in the new job mode too, although I'm a techgeek, so I have to think about computers all day... and I kind of loathe sitting down at the computer when I get home. Very bad behavior for a blogger, to be sure. I love the name of the treat, rock cakes sounds like something I could make! Beautiful photos, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  52. These sound so good with cranberries! I can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  53. des petits rocs qui sont tres tres gourmands et faits pour moi

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi Rosa, I can imagine how hard to keep up your blog and at the same time with your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  55. De vraies gourmandises, ces rock cakes, merci pour ce partage et surtout bonne chance dans ton nouveau job
    Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  56. Je craque complètement sur ta première photo ^^
    Ils m'ont l'air tout à fait délicieux ces cookies !
    Bonne chance pour ton nouveau job !
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  57. They look fabulous!!! I'll be in Geneva this week-end, maybe I could drop by your place and have some of these?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  58. MARION: Thanks! It's a pity I have to work this weekend :-(... Otherwise, I'd love to make some for you.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Jolis petits rochers comme on aime en croquer pour le thé... come toujours qqs douceurs si joliment présentées... Bises Agnès

    ReplyDelete
  60. These are so pretty, and I love the cranberries in them! The perfect treat for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Ohh Rosa very good luck with your new job!!

    Only cheesecakes in Switzerland or a lot of desserts? :))
    Adore your rock cakes! I'm sure that are equal or much better than a bakery !!

    All the best,

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  62. GERA: Thanks! We will offer cheesecakes, cookies, muffins, cupcakes, cookie bars, chocolate bars, marshmallows, bagels, salads, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  63. @Rosa's Yummy Yums
    Rosa, this will be the heaven for me! Hope you'll make international deliveries ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  64. GERA: Maybe even better if Cheesecake & Co expands ;-p!!!...

    ReplyDelete
  65. I don't know how some people can blog every day. Would be impossible for me. Enjoy the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Tes biscuits sont très appétissants:))
    Bonne chance dans ton nouvel emploi et j'ai très hâte d'en savoir plus!
    Bonne journée!

    ReplyDelete
  67. These look like some sweet tender treats that belie their offbeat name. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  68. Wow you are so lucky..i wish i could get involve in a job where i can bake ....recipe sounds awesome, bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  69. What wonderful memories and what a lucky girl to have grown up watching your grandparents cook together like that. It is so romantic! And these rock cakes look fun and tasty - I like spice and dried cranberry version - my version for Autumn of anything! Beautiful!

    And congrats on the new job! how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Great stuff Rosa. You know in Turkish we say: "eline saglik" which means, health to your hands, when someone makes food. And good luck with your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  71. ..wow!!du nouveau pour ma belle Rosa!!!!!bonne chance ma chère Copinaute..

    ..en attendant salivons;)

    ~nancy xx

    ReplyDelete
  72. This is definitely an original and interesting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  73. These do look very good and very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Tes gâteaux sont tout simplement magnifiques !!!!

    Bonne journée, Claire

    ReplyDelete
  75. Interesting name for a treat that looks so light and delicious!

    Good luck in your new job Rosa. And spill, when you get the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Ils sont gourmands à souhait, je n'ai qu'une envie, y goûter..!!!
    Bises, bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  77. They look just like scones, and the flavor must be undeniably good.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Ces petits gâteaux sont incroyables de beauté et de gourmandise! Et ouah tu te lances dans une très belle aventure. Je ne doute pas que cela réussisse!! C'est génial et ça me donne envie d'aller visiter Genève! Ca ouvre quand exactement?

    ReplyDelete
  79. rock cakes were the first thing i ever made! :) these are beautiful Rosa

    x

    ReplyDelete
  80. hum très appétissants ces petits gâteaux !
    bisous

    ReplyDelete
  81. Wow that really looks heartwarminly delicouious! good luck with ye new job! :)
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  82. Ils sont Fabuleux ma Chère Rosa;)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  83. It looks delicious, but it needs a better name than rock cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  84. Eh bien malgré toutes ces contraintes, ils sont tout beaux et bien appétissants, tes biscuits !
    Bisous et bonne journée
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  85. these rock cakes rock! what a lovely recipe and story about your grandparents, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  86. Looks so pretty with the cranberries :D

    ReplyDelete
  87. What a name! But it looks incredibly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  88. Them rock cakes looks very nice. But there is something i didnt understand is how hard they should be after cooked, i mean, is more like a cookie or like a cake?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  89. ROSEIRO: Thank you! They aren't really hard! You could say that they are harder than scones and softer than cookies. They get their name from the way they look...

    ReplyDelete
  90. Rosa,

    Your rock cakes are amazing, they loke soooo good!
    And your photos are(of course) beautiful! :b

    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  91. Oh my goodness,this looks mouth watering!! How delicious!! soo pretty and excellent shots ros!! :)

    ReplyDelete