If you like hyper moist, super soft and elastic types of bread/cakes, then this “BANANA AND WALNUT BREAD” is for you!
Apart from it’s unique texture, this bread is also very aromatic, spicy and particularly savory. I enjoy this tangy bread in the afternoon with a tight cup of coffee or a perfumed cup of tea.
This recipe was taken from a special issue of the French magazine “Cuisine Actuelle” (February-March 2003). As usual, I changed a few details and adapted it freely…
3 Ripe bananas, mashed
150g Castor sugar (or Light brown sugar)
250g Plain white flour
60g Unsalted butter, melted
1 Egg (~50g), beaten
2 Tsp Baking powder
2 Tsp Ginger powder (or 1 Tbs Fresh ginger, grated)
60g Walnuts, coarsly chopped
1/2 Tsp Salt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. In a bowl, mix together sifted flour, baking powder, ground ginger, salt and walnuts.
3. In another bowl, beat the egg together with the melted butter, sugar, milk and mashed bananas until the mixture is homogenous.
4. Make a well with the flour mixture and pour in the banana mixture. Mix well until the batter is smooth and quite fluid.
5. Pour the cake batter in a pan/tin and bake for about 1 hour in the middle of the oven.
Don’t beat the cake batter for too long, otherwise the bread will lose of it’s lightness. Just mix gently.
Cut the bread in slices and serve them buttered.
This “Banana Walnut Bread” is the ideal treat with a fine cup of coffee or a tea.
(Banana And Walnut Cake -Pic by Rosa www.rosas-yummy-yums.blogspot.com)
(Walnuts -Pic by www.news-medical.net)